February - No Fast Food Challenge.

Options

Replies

• Leiki
    Leiki Posts: 526 Member
    Options
    Great challenge. I've already started before this post by telling my bf that I would rather not eat at fast food places from now on. I gained a lot, last year, due to fast food.
  • CoachKristenSmith
    CoachKristenSmith Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I gave it up permanently as of 1/1/12. It hasn't been too hard after I saw pictures online of the McDonald's happy meal that had been sitting out for over a year and showed NO decomposition. Google it. It will make you happy to skip fast food!
  • pain_is_weakness
    pain_is_weakness Posts: 798 Member
    Options
    HAHA, my husband and i just decided to do this, definently in, must be meant to be that I came accross it!
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    I'll do it, but it won't really be a challenge as I can't even remember the last time I had fast food. I don't like the taste of most of it, but even if I did, every fast food place around here is always so crowded that there is nothing "fast" about it.
  • vinylscratch
    vinylscratch Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    Oh god, I'm scared! I friggen love my fast food. I'm up for a challenge!
  • Onesnap
    Onesnap Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    No thanks, I only eat Fast Food a few times per year, so it's not a challenge for me.
  • digitalmayhap
    digitalmayhap Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    I'm in.
  • bcattoes
    Options
    Totally in for this one!! But subway doesn't count right ?

Why wouldn't Subway count? Or was that a joke?
  • Onesnap
    Options
    I'm in but I am keeping my subway...! I will limit myself to once per week though!

You'll stop eating Subway as often as you do when you learn this:

**they add a chemical to their bread to make it appear brown and more 'healthy'. It's the same chemical compound found in fertilizer. YUM! You're better off getting bakery bread and making your own sandwich.
  • purseus
    purseus Posts: 54
    Options
    ah what the hell i'll do it
  • renlewis170
    renlewis170 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    I'm in... this will be great for me. Fast food breakfast is a weakness of mine, which then generally leads to a huge diet coke which I'm trying to back away from as well.
  • Dammitviv
    Dammitviv Posts: 117
    Options
    I'm in!
  • Onesnap
    Options

I don't think it was a joke. People buy into the advertising and branding and believe it to be healthy. Can't remember the last time I had Subway. Gross (see above: re: chemicals added to the bread)
  • missdabby
    missdabby Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    I will give it a go....the only fast food I eat is Chipotle and Panera....they can be pretty Healthy!1610854.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Nutrition Facts For Foods
  • krunchykat
    krunchykat Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    I'm in! I'm also giving up soda too. Not exactly a sacrifice considering I rarely drink soda without fast food, but still. :)
  • qofspades
    qofspades Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    I'm game. Let the challenge begin. SUGGESTION...May I suggest that we help each other by monitoring the food diaries of the person above and below your first posting to this challenge.:wink:
  • Onesnap
    Options
    None of Subway's breads are whole grain. Ammonium sulfate (a fertilizer) is also added. Unfinished sandwiches may be composted. The bread also contains azodicarbonamide.

Use of azodicarbonamide as a food additive is banned in Australia. In the UK, the Health and Safety Executive has identified azodicarbonamide as a respiratory sensitiser (a possible cause of asthma) and determined that products should be labeled with May cause sensitisation by inhalation

Learn more: http://www.naturalnews.com/022194.html#ixzz1l3zpYRTP
  • Onesnap
    Options
    I will give it a go....the only fast food I eat is Chipotle and Panera....they can be pretty Healthy

Yes, and Chipotle supports small family farms. Which is rare. Panera is not healthy unless it's the salads.
  • bcattoes
    Options

I don't think it was a joke. People buy into the advertising and branding and believe it to be healthy. Can't remember the last time I had Subway. Gross (see above: re: chemicals added to the bread)

Not to mention all the nitrates and sodium in the meats. But fast food is fast food whether healthy or not. I think the hummus wraps at Pita Pit are pretty healthy (OH!! just remember the last fast food I had!) but it's still fast food so none for me this month. Bummer! We just got a Pita Pit in our town and I was pretty excited to have a decent fast food choice and now I've sworn it off for a month. :ohwell:
  • Onesnap
    Options

Not to mention all the nitrates and sodium in the meats. But fast food is fast food whether healthy or not. I think the hummus wraps at Pita Pit are pretty healthy (OH!! just remember the last fast food I had!) but it's still fast food so none for me this month. Bummer! We just got a Pita Pit in our town and I was pretty excited to have a decent fast food choice and now I've sworn it off for a month. :ohwell:

I would not swear off anything called Pita Pit. I have no idea what it is but the kind of fast food that is EVIL has nothing to do with pitas and hummus. Plus, an elimination diet (swearing off lets say...cheese or something you love) is not proven to be successful. I just like saving $$ and eating out all the time is not a way to do it. Plus, I don't eat factory farmed meats.