Replies

• lscott62
    lscott62 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    thats the best time to go......
  • amuhlou
    amuhlou Posts: 693 Member
    Options
    I find the 'doting girlfriends' to be very amusing.

They're pretty easy to spot - usually dressed super cute, walk on the treadmill for maybe 5 minutes, do the elliptical for a few minutes, and otherwise just wander around waiting for their man to finish his workout.

They almost look visibly bored/annoyed that they are being made to wait.
  • SassyCalyGirl
    SassyCalyGirl Posts: 1,932 Member
    Options
    I hope you do realize that the same people you are making fun of probably have the same feelings about some of you!
  • MFPAddict
    MFPAddict Posts: 2,303 Member
    Options
    What really bothers me is people who are obviously too focused on what others are wearing/saying/doing to get in a proper work out :) good thing I am not one of those people. Seems I am the only one who pays attention to myself when I am working out. Hell, I couldn't even tell you how many other people are in the gym at any given time.

Yay for you. :drinker:
  • armon403
    armon403 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Some of these posts seem to be somwhat snobbish. Were we all not "newbies" at one time? I read the posts and what I hear is, "if you dont fit in to our ideals, then stay home, we really don't want to work out in the same gym with someone that does not come up to our standards".

While I am not a gym user, I suspect there are those that are that would like to respond as below.

Please tell me what are the right sneakers to wear so I don’t offend you.

Part of showering after a workout is getting naked, showering, drying off, getting dressed. I keep my eyes to myself and tend to what I am doing. I suggest you do the same.

If I have a McDonald’s cup with diet coke, why should that matter to you, am I only allowed to drink water out of some special hi-tech trendy water bottle

If I choose to wear jeans, either out of preference or financial reasons, what business is it of yours?

I am sorry if somehow I have offended YOU by looking at myself in the mirror. Maybe you should concentrate on your workout and mind your own business. I don’t happen to have a full length mirror at home to use.

Running on the treadmill and using other machines is about as boring as it can get, excuse me if I read something while I am working out.

I don't have time to address all of your points so let me hit on a just a few:
    1-newbs- all are welcome at the gym. I love seeing new faces. I don't like when people show up and don't take it seriously. It's a distraction nobody needs.
    2-mirror watchers- these are prob the really buff guys/gals that are really in love with themselves. Again, annoying.
    3-wearing jeans- the buttons and zippers rip the the covers on the benches. Not cool. Go to Walmart or good will and buy some sweats. And keep them clean. Nobody likes smelly people at the gym.
    4-showering- yeah you have to disrobe to shower but you don't have to me buck naked to have a conversation in the locker room. Put some shorts on, Raisin Sack.
  • MFPAddict
    Options
    I hope you do realize that the same people you are making fun of probably have the same feelings about some of you!

Certainly not the same feelings, but perhaps annoyances of their own.

Perhaps wearing my boxer briefs when I walk to the scale is offensive to some. Perhaps some guys get on the scale in hopes that naked men stand two feet behind them. And towel drying my pubes does the trick thank you.
  • mistiesnshn77
    mistiesnshn77 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Oh my goodness, I don't want to judge, for the MOST part I am just happy people are there. But here are a few of my faves.

*Ladies in FULL hair and makeup with fancy workout clothes that sits on a recumbent bike for 20 mins leisurely pedalling and browsing through COSMO while sipping her smoothie.

*20 people in the sauna with their feet up so you have nowhere to sit.

*Super BUFF steriod guy yelling SO loud while lifting my kid asks me if someone died when I get him from the daycare.

*Thong-Showing girls...

*Machine Stalkers...they stand there and stare at you while "waiting" for the machine you are using.

*Flip-Flop treadmill walkers.

*Pervy guy who follows you around the gym using the machine next to you...EVERY TIME!

I could go on....
  • the_journeyman
    the_journeyman Posts: 1,877 Member
    Options
    I'm a people watcher, and I get serious entertainment at the gym. I did have an annoyance yesterday. I forgot my headphones, so I couldn't use the TV or my MP3 player. That was a guy on a weight machine near my the bicycles that was making sure everyone knew he was working hard. Toward the end of each set it was "UUUUUUNNGGG SIX, UUUUUUNNGGG SEVEN, UUUUUUNNGGG EIGHT!!!, UUUUUUNNGGG NINE!!!!! UUUUUUNNGGG TEN!!!!! *CLANG* That'll teach me to forget my earphones!

JM
  • armon403
    armon403 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Some of these posts seem to be somwhat snobbish. Were we all not "newbies" at one time? I read the posts and what I hear is, "if you dont fit in to our ideals, then stay home, we really don't want to work out in the same gym with someone that does not come up to our standards".

While I am not a gym user, I suspect there are those that are that would like to respond as below.

Part of showering after a workout is getting naked, showering, drying off, getting dressed. I keep my eyes to myself and tend to what I am doing. I suggest you do the same.

If I have a McDonald’s cup with diet coke, why should that matter to you, am I only allowed to drink water out of some special hi-tech trendy water bottle

If I choose to wear jeans, either out of preference or financial reasons, what business is it of yours?

I am sorry if somehow I have offended YOU by looking at myself in the mirror. Maybe you should concentrate on your workout and mind your own business. I don’t happen to have a full length mirror at home to use.

Running on the treadmill and using other machines is about as boring as it can get, excuse me if I read something while I am working out.

If I may..

Martin you appear to be a well dressed, professional man. I could be wrong but I'm just going by your photo.

Now if someone walked into your office/court/media conglomeration wearing flip flops, ripped jeans and an F You hat would your first reaction be not to judge them? Would you think you should mind your own business and let them dress however they choose?

The reality is certain outfits are not appropriate for certain situations. You shouldn't wear gym clothes to the office and you shouldn't wear jeans and full makeup at the gym.

Also drinking soda or reading, like wearing jeans, hampers your workout. Why go if you're only going to make it harder for yourself?

There are rules of ettiquette everywhere you go. The gym is no different. Best wishes.

Well said!
  • Reedern
    Reedern Posts: 525 Member
    Options
    Oooo where do I start....?

- The girls who go in groups to basically wear teenie tiny tops and shorts, and have a gossip, not work out!
    - The women who feel it necessary to wear their shorts very low and their thongs up under their armpits.
    - The people who sweat so badly it covers the entire machine, and then fail to wipe it clean....
    - The people who have headphones in and make very scary (pretty embarrasing grunting/groans) because, ok, they're working hard but really don't do it?! take your headphones out and you'll hear why everyone and I mean everyone is staring at you! - I cringe for them!
    [

Hahahaha...... the last one is so funny. There is a guy we see every day at the gym who makes serious bedroom noises while working out... funny, but distrubing as well. On top of that, he wears skin tight clothes.
  • MFPAddict
    Options
    Put some shorts on, Raisin Sack.

Hey, at least I have the right shoes!!! :grumble:

RaisinCharacter_left-791x1024.jpg
  • Reedern
    Reedern Posts: 525 Member
    Options
    People who use the bathroom, work-out, etc all while talking on the phone... seriously, it can't wait an hour while you do some "me" time?

The skinny people complaining about how fat they are and just stare at themselves in the mirror (but never actually exercise)

Nothing worse then seeing someone sitting buck @$$ naked on the bench where I usually set my gym bag or sit to tie my shoes. Freaking gross.... put a towel or something down people!
  • determinedbutlazy
    determinedbutlazy Posts: 1,941 Member
    Options
    People who use the bathroom, work-out, etc all while talking on the phone... seriously, it can't wait an hour while you do some "me" time?

If you can talk on the phone while working out, you're not working hard enough.
  • engineman312
    engineman312 Posts: 3,450 Member
    Options
    i like the guy on the elliptical with the towel draped over his head
  • sheclimber
    sheclimber Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    I love love love going early in the morning- you get your serious workout folks and not the pick up bar scene at that time!

I really miss being able to workout right when the gym opens. No idle chit chat. Everyone was busy getting on with their workouts. Now I go when all the stay at home moms go and it's just gossip central.
  • grapenutSF
    grapenutSF Posts: 648 Member
    Options
    Wow, naked people in the locker room don't both me. And I thought *I* was a stodgy East Coaster.

I don't notice too much oddity at my gym, and I love it. I did find it odd when that one older lady put on goggles in the hot tub when we were in there together. That gave me the heeby-jeebies.
  • maidentl
    maidentl Posts: 3,203 Member
    Options
    Ok, so I know we are there for our workouts but the Gym is a soap opera full of very interesting characters.

It never ceases to amaze me when I am in the locker room and women walk around butt *kitten* naked. Boobs flapping around everywhere not to mention that spider about to jump at me. And why is that the time they pick to have a full on convo. LADY: the barrier on personal space increases with nakedness.

Dont get me started on the dude who wears NO underwear with his teeny workout shorts......

What do you see in the Gym that makes you go....WTH????

There's a guy at my gym who is crazy and/or has Tourette Syndrome. I saw him full blown attacking the scale one day, kicking it and shaking it. He makes these awful sounds when he tries to lift weights, as if it's killing him. And then he also just walks around making random sounds. I know I am there for my own workout but he's kind of hard to ignore...
  • shirleygirl910
    shirleygirl910 Posts: 503 Member
    Options
    I'm all for encouraging people in getting healthy, but I'm tired of posers taking up my gym time. Stay home if you're not serious. I am, and I just want to get in, do my work out and go home. (I'm usually there for 2 hours, not a 20 minute person) I went last Sunday at 4 in the afternoon and the place was still packed.
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options

It was only a matter of time before the PC police showed up.

Just what I thought when I read it!