What counts as water?

Options

Replies

• sherryk5133
    Options
    Thanks for providing this link...very informing but it didn't answer my intial question = (
  • FitLink
    FitLink Posts: 1,317 Member
    Options
    Hey guys! Quick question, couldn't find anything related easily when I searched. My coworker and I were discussing how much water we drink the other day and I was telling her it was hard for me to just drink regular water, so I use Crystal light and tea. She responded that these things don't count as going toward your 8 glasses daily and only strictly water does! What do you guys think??

Your body is going to mix the water up with everything else in your tummy anyway, so "water" is any water you get in your food and drink. Caffeine is a very mild diuretic, but the volume of water is still so big compared to the tiny diuretic effect of caffeine as to make no difference. Remember that artificial sweeteners have been correlated with weight gain and diabetes (though correlation is NOT causation) but no one is sure the exact cause of that. The 64 ounces should be what you get total--from all your food and beverages throughout the day.
  • HMonsterX
    HMonsterX Posts: 3,000 Member
    Options
    Thanks for providing this link...very informing but it didn't answer my intial question = (

If you read my links quoted above it should answer your question.

It never ceases to amaze me how people always confuse "water" with "pure water"....
  • thankyou4thevenom
    thankyou4thevenom Posts: 1,581 Member
    Options

As long as it's not got salt in it, count it as water.
    BTW you know you don't have to drink 8 glasses of water right?
  • thankyou4thevenom
    thankyou4thevenom Posts: 1,581 Member
    Options

If you read my links quoted above it should answer your question.

It never ceases to amaze me how people always confuse "water" with "pure water"....

I will quote you until people get the message. I might be doing it for a while.
  • HMonsterX
    Options
    Basically all liquids (besides alcohol) count. So, water, tea, juice, milk, etc, etc, etc

Seriously? I don't know where you got that from,

Um, reliable sources, research, etc? Not believing the water companies bogus claims?

but pretty sure juice and milk definitely don't count as water...

Do you have proof to back this up? How something that is pretty much all water doesn't count as water?
  • pucenavel
    pucenavel Posts: 972 Member
    Options
    Your body is going to mix the water up with everything else in your tummy anyway.

Oh, crap! So the quart of water I drank at lunch got mixed with the sodium in the turkey sandwich I had totally negating the purity. Now I'll have to wait until my stomach empties out and drink another quart!!!
  • FitLink
    Options
    Basically all liquids (besides alcohol) count. So, water, tea, juice, milk, etc, etc, etc

Seriously? I don't know where you got that from, but pretty sure juice and milk definitely don't count as water...

Tea and coffee, maybe. Adding Crystal Light is fine, if you want all that unnatural stuff in your body, and it would still count as water, but for the most part, I think water is the only thing that counts as water.

Tea is water with leaves soaked in it. How is that "unnatural?"

Milk, juice, coffee and tea are all just water with a TINY amount of "something else" in them. The water itself is unadulterated as these are not even solutions, just colloidal suspensions--particles floating in the water. It is unscientific nonsense to suggest that mixing the "stuff" in the water BEFORE you drink it is any different than mixing it up in your belly AFTER you drink it. If mixing something in meant it wasn't still water, the only water that would count would be water you drank when you stomach was COMPLETELY empty. If yo've eaten, the food will mix with the water and it won't count anymore.
  • FitLink
    Options
    Your body is going to mix the water up with everything else in your tummy anyway.

Oh, crap! So the quart of water I drank at lunch got mixed with the sodium in the turkey sandwich I had totally negating the purity. Now I'll have to wait until my stomach empties out and drink another quart!!!

EXACTLY!
  • killagb
    killagb Posts: 3,280 Member
    Options
    Glad to see that some sanity has been restored to this thread.
  • HMonsterX
    Options

Seriously? I don't know where you got that from, but pretty sure juice and milk definitely don't count as water...

Tea and coffee, maybe. Adding Crystal Light is fine, if you want all that unnatural stuff in your body, and it would still count as water, but for the most part, I think water is the only thing that counts as water.

Milk, juice, coffee and tea are all just water with a TINY amount of "something else" in them. The water itself is unadulterated as these are not even solutions, just colloidal suspensions--particles floating in the water. It is unscientific nonsense to suggest that mixing the "stuff" in the water BEFORE you drink it is any different than mixing it up in your belly AFTER you drink it. If mixing something in meant it wasn't still water, the only water that would count would be water you drank when you stomach was COMPLETELY empty. If yo've eaten, the food will mix with the water and it won't count anymore.

I think i love you.
  • mistersmithsbox
    Options
    Are you only talking hydration? If so, yes. Everything counts. If you mean the detox effects, etc. I don't think skim milk or diet soda would count.
  • killagb
    killagb Posts: 3,280 Member
    Options
    Are you only talking hydration? If so, yes. Everything counts. If you mean the detox effects, etc. I don't think skim milk or diet soda would count.
    Detox effects? There aren't any. Your body's liver does this.
  • FitLink
    Options

I think i love you.

It's a pet peeve of mine. I've had this conversation too often to count. Tea, for instance is so close in actual H2O content as to be indistinguishable from, like, really hard water. Where I live, the water is so hard that when I make tea there's less tea in it than the disolved minerals. SO, does the water at my house not "count" as water because there's so much "not water" in it? It's just...stupid!
  • pucenavel
    pucenavel Posts: 972 Member
    Options

When I was detoxing at rehab, they gave me Gatorade. Dang! Now I'll have to go back again.
  • zlem
    zlem Posts: 92
    Options
    I only count water as water. Otherwise I'd probably just drink 64oz of coke zero or V or something silly. ha.
  • KristinC4
    Options
    I was told by my chiropractor that you could not count water enhanced with things such as crystal light due to the preservatives. He said you can only count straight water as water. Even coffee and tea did not count.

Oh yeah sure, because chiropractors are real doctors and everything....

Blondemoment.jpg

HAHAHAHA!!!

For me, I count plain water, coffee (no sugar added), 100% juice (no sugar added) and Crystal light. If I drink unsweetened tea, I count that too. I don't count things like sweet tea or kool-aid because of the amount of sugar that is added, but I think most water based drinks count towards your water intake.
  • soccerella
    soccerella Posts: 623 Member
    Options
    Actually yes, chiropractors are real doctors.

You don't need a PhD to be a chiropractor. Some may have them, those would be Doctors, even if it's not medical. But for the most part, chiropractors are not doctors.

you dont need a PhD to be a medical doctor either
  • FitLink
    Options
    The Mayo Clinic says a woman's body actually needs about 9 glasses of water (for women--13 for men) but concedes that the easier to remember 8X8 rule will suffice They do take pains to mention, however, that (and I quote this directly) "Just keep in mind that the rule should be reframed as: "Drink at least eight 8-ounce glasses of fluid a day," because all fluids count toward the daily total." So as you can see, medical science DOES NOT support the notion that coffee, tea, milk, juice, or any other non-alcoholic fluid doesn't count as water. If tea and Crystal Light help you get enough water, go to it.