Were you ever bullied in school for being overweight? How di

Options

Replies

• athearenee
    Options
    Your Story Is So Profound...Thank You For Sharing...

in Elementary for being chubby, poor and having the same haircut as my brother (thanks a lot step-mother)

in Middle School for being chubby and different. The school hottie heard I had a crush on him, walked by me in the hallway with all his friends and called my a "hephyr"...bad day. also I liked all sorts of music and all sorts of people: the "stoners" called me a Poser.

in High School, I was still chubby and quiet and kind of a bookworm...I guess I just wasn't "cool" enough.

Since then, from co-workers, I have been bullied for not being confident or brave....

Seriously???

Whey will people stop trying to hurt other people to make themselves feel better???
    What happened to treating people the way you want to be treated??? :-/
  • PhatAndy
    PhatAndy Posts: 285
    Options
    I was probably a little below average weight in primary/elementary school but that was because I was really active combined with being tall and lanky. Then in high school I was the polar opposite - extremely overweight due to an eating disorder. I was picked on pretty bad, mostly because I went to a performing arts school therefore surrounded by dancers who thought they were doing me some kind of favour by informing me that I was fat. I was okay with it for the most part, but that was only because I had two really great and supportive friends (well, I had more than two friends of course but those two are standout and the ONLY people I talk to from high school now) who were with me through it.

The worst of the bullying was probably in 10th grade because I had the misfortune of being in the same gym class as the people who bullied me and none of my friends were in that class. Oy vey. Worst timetable ever! This one guy was the worst, he called me a "stupid fat ****" when we were playing softball. Ironically he found me on Facebook years later and thought it would be a great idea to not only add me, but somehow get my number and ask me out on a date. Obviously said no but lol, some people.

Im sure he did! you are absolutely stunning, the feeling of telling him NO WAY must have felt pretty good! How have things been since then?
  • PhatAndy
    Options

in Elementary for being chubby, poor and having the same haircut as my brother (thanks a lot step-mother)

in Middle School for being chubby and different. The school hottie heard I had a crush on him, walked by me in the hallway with all his friends and called my a "hephyr"...bad day. also I liked all sorts of music and all sorts of people: the "stoners" called me a Poser.

in High School, I was still chubby and quiet and kind of a bookworm...I guess I just wasn't "cool" enough.

Since then, from co-workers, I have been bullied for not being confident or brave....

Seriously???

Whey will people stop trying to hurt other people to make themselves feel better???

Its awful! People say kids can be cruel, EVERYONE can be cruel.. Its funny yesterday i posted on that thread "Say somthing nice about the person above you" Thread... I thought it would be a mistake and it was.. I ended up completely shutting the thread down for 10 minutes, going from 50 people constantly hitting refresh to being abandoned, because nobody had anything at all to say nice about me. I took it upon myself to write the following.

Well I would like to say you are a very handsome man and you have the potential to be a tank when you meet your goal! And then maybe people wont be so judgemental of your looks anymore"

Guilt trip seemed to work cuz the thread fired up again haha.
  • athearenee
    Options
    I was "husky" in high school and when I was a freshman I had a senior try to give me crap about it. Bad move... I bounced him off a couple of lockers and he got a nice shiner from the deal. I got a 3 day suspension but I never got any crap again for the rest of my hs days.
    Man I thought about that so many times....I still think I have anger issues because of it.
  • athearenee
    Options

Seriously???

Its awful! People say kids can be cruel, EVERYONE can be cruel.. Its funny yesterday i posted on that thread "Say somthing nice about the person above you" Thread... I thought it would be a mistake and it was.. I ended up completely shutting the thread down for 10 minutes, going from 50 people constantly hitting refresh to being abandoned, because nobody had anything at all to say nice about me. I took it upon myself to write the following.

Well I would like to say you are a very handsome man and you have the potential to be a tank when you meet your goal! And then maybe people wont be so judgemental of your looks anymore"

Guilt trip seemed to work cuz the thread fired up again haha.
    Well I think you are BRAVE and AMAZING.....Telling your story helps people Heal....that is a Beautiful Gift.
    Thanks Again!!
  • Weebles03
    Weebles03 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I have been bullied all of my life up until I reached to age of 21 myself. I remember all the names they called me. It was anything from porkchop to lard butt, you named it I was called it. I almost felt like I didn't have an identity anymore. I remember one time this one girl didn't like me at all just because I was a big girl and she spat on the back of my neck. Another guy pulled the chair out from underneath me for no aparent reason. During all through my schools year I didn't deal with it very much, I just took it and believed them and took the scars in my heart with it. Today though I have overcome on handling people who make fun of me. I instead show them love and compassion and it seem to really work out for me, but I can say I can't wait for this weight to start coming off. I am so sick of breaking things in my parents household because of this weight, and it'd be nice to sit in a booth of a restaurant again.
  • PhatAndy
    Options
    I have been bullied all of my life up until I reached to age of 21 myself. I remember all the names they called me. It was anything from porkchop to lard butt, you named it I was called it. I almost felt like I didn't have an identity anymore. I remember one time this one girl didn't like me at all just because I was a big girl and she spat on the back of my neck. Another guy pulled the chair out from underneath me for no aparent reason. During all through my schools year I didn't deal with it very much, I just took it and believed them and took the scars in my heart with it. Today though I have overcome on handling people who make fun of me. I instead show them love and compassion and it seem to really work out for me, but I can say I can't wait for this weight to start coming off. I am so sick of breaking things in my parents household because of this weight, and it'd be nice to sit in a booth of a restaurant again.

Oh man, I hear you about the reastraunt booth. so embarasing.. Especially at subway, they have pre designed booths and when i go there with a bunch of friends to eat in they are like Sit down andy! and im like nahhh... im okay. (Legs super tired).
  • godricshollow
    godricshollow Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    I was probably a little below average weight in primary/elementary school but that was because I was really active combined with being tall and lanky. Then in high school I was the polar opposite - extremely overweight due to an eating disorder. I was picked on pretty bad, mostly because I went to a performing arts school therefore surrounded by dancers who thought they were doing me some kind of favour by informing me that I was fat. I was okay with it for the most part, but that was only because I had two really great and supportive friends (well, I had more than two friends of course but those two are standout and the ONLY people I talk to from high school now) who were with me through it.

The worst of the bullying was probably in 10th grade because I had the misfortune of being in the same gym class as the people who bullied me and none of my friends were in that class. Oy vey. Worst timetable ever! This one guy was the worst, he called me a "stupid fat ****" when we were playing softball. Ironically he found me on Facebook years later and thought it would be a great idea to not only add me, but somehow get my number and ask me out on a date. Obviously said no but lol, some people.

Im sure he did! you are absolutely stunning, the feeling of telling him NO WAY must have felt pretty good! How have things been since then?

Thank you! I actually felt bad for about two seconds, especially because he apologized for being so horrible, but y'know. End of the day he made me pretty upset in high school so too bad for him :p Things have been better for the most part. A few hiccups along the way but I consider myself recovered and I have a very healthy relationship with food :D
  • Apazman
    Apazman Posts: 494 Member
    Options
    "No one can make you feel inferior without your consent." - Eleanor Roosevelt

Inspiring words to live by....
    yep, but as my friend Phil once said...

"I will probably not win the fight, but Ill sure as hell break his nose!" - Phillip Martin
  • Cold_Steel
    Cold_Steel Posts: 897 Member
    Options
    I learned early on that you just make an example out of people quickly and effectively. From about 3rd grade until high school I was kind of the kid that beat up the bullies.

A lot of people say that violence is not the answer, but it sure was for me. Some one would make fun of me and I would just knock them out right there right then. The only time it really got to me was when a girl would say it, that would break my heart. As I got older I realized that the people in life that say that crap are really just not happy with themselves and use the bullying as a coping mechanism for their own failures too make themselves feel better.
  • Apazman
    Apazman Posts: 494 Member
    Options
    I learned early on that you just make an example out of people quickly and effectively. From about 3rd grade until high school I was kind of the kid that beat up the bullies.

A lot of people say that violence is not the answer, but it sure was for me. Some one would make fun of me and I would just knock them out right there right then. The only time it really got to me was when a girl would say it, that would break my heart. As I got older I realized that the people in life that say that crap are really just not happy with themselves and use the bullying as a coping mechanism for their own failures too make themselves feel better.

Violence is NOT the answer .... its the Questsion .... YES is the answer!
  • PhatAndy
    Options
    As I got older I realized that the people in life that say that crap are really just not happy with themselves and use the bullying as a coping mechanism for their own failures too make themselves feel better.

^Truth.

I am 6 foot 8 and over 400 pounds, you would think people wouldnt mess around with me, but I am a gentle giant, the idea of violence makes me sick to my stomache, some people are born for it, some aren't
  • Cold_Steel
    Options
    Violence is NOT the answer .... its the Questsion .... YES is the answer!

I am a fan of "violence is not the answer, I got it wrong on purpose"

or ...

"Violence is not the answer, sure it is, see... you didn't ask me another question after that.."
  • Cold_Steel
    Options
    As I got older I realized that the people in life that say that crap are really just not happy with themselves and use the bullying as a coping mechanism for their own failures too make themselves feel better.

^Truth.

I am 6 foot 8 and over 400 pounds, you would think people wouldnt mess around with me, but I am a gentle giant, the idea of violence makes me sick to my stomache, some people are born for it, some aren't

The interesting part about what you said is why I think people get bullied. They fact is you are a big dude, when people realize they can push your buttons and you don't push back they get this sense of accomplishment and make their small minded actions and personality seem so strong and important. It is like the napoleon complex.... yeah I pick on a dude that is 5 times my size so therefore I am more masculine and stronger than he is and blah blah blah...

Yeah, I didn't have to do much with the violence.... It was really one kid a year or every two years that was made "the example" once that occurred no one picked on me due to the reputation that followed.
  • wonnder1
    wonnder1 Posts: 460
    Options
    I guess I might be the exception, I was never bullied in grade or highschool. And I was a big big girl.

The first tease I remember is my first year of college. Walking down the hall and hearing "boom boom boom." I don't remember being hurt by it, just pondering on how very childish they were.

I think they are going to revoke my middle child status for not being scarred enough.
  • athearenee
    Options
    "No one can make you feel inferior without your consent." - Eleanor Roosevelt

Inspiring words to live by....
    yep, but as my friend Phil once said...

"I will probably not win the fight, but Ill sure as hell break his nose!" - Phillip Martin
    LOVE this QUOTE!!!
  • athearenee
    Options
    I guess I might be the exception, I was never bullied in grade or highschool. And I was a big big girl.

The first tease I remember is my first year of college. Walking down the hall and hearing "boom boom boom." I don't remember being hurt by it, just pondering on how very childish they were.

I think they are going to revoke my middle child status for not being scarred enough.
    You're My Freakin' Hero!!
  • diserrano
    diserrano Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    wow. its crazy what people say to other people to make themselves feel better. i remember when i was like 7 years old i told one of my aunts i wanted to be a ballerina and she started to laugh until she got tears in her eyes and i just sat there looking at her wondering what was so funny. and then shes like omg do you really think you would look nice dancing that you have to loose alot of weight to be a ballerina. i gotta say i use to looove to dance, i still do i just dont do dance in public. lol makes me feel like people are going to make fun of me.

in school i was always tease i remember when i was in middle school, i was walking to the lunch line and some girl yelled out hey you have to go to jenny creig instead of going to that lunch line. and then guys would make fun and say no one would ever want to date a girl like me. everyone in my family always said i have a cute face but that i would always be fat. and i have always been such a shy girl, always afraid to talk and get attention to me. *sigh* but i need to change that now i dont want to be referred to as the girl with thee pretty face anymore.
  • CuteAndCurvy83
    CuteAndCurvy83 Posts: 570 Member
    Options
    I was bullied until I quit in the 9th grade, I never remember going home and crying about it because I knew my family and friends were the ones that really mattered but it did hurt. I fell into depression over the summer after 8th grade, and we moved from NJ to FL and I tried school and just couldn't do it, so I dropped out and spent the next few years in a fog of manic depression. I still battle with depression, I don't think being overweight caused it, but it sure hasn't helped.
  • KLi531
    KLi531 Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    I know people said stuff but I always just tried to ignore it. Some of it was really hurtful though. I come from a really funny family and I learned early on to beat them to the punch. I made fun of myself before others could and I just became the funny fat girl. It was a way to hide all my insecurities, but eventually they caught up to me and it wasn't pretty. Years of soul searching later, I think I turned out ok.

I wouldn't change any of it. I wouldn't be where I am today if I didn't have to go through all of that. I still to try to find humor in the things that bother me the most, but I'm not hiding anymore. I'm just trying to make a living out of it :)

Of all the stories on here, the ones where the parents teased their own children made me the angriest. Some people shouldn't be allowed to have kids. I was one of the lucky ones, my parents just wanted me to be healthy. My family teases each other a lot but it's all lighthearted and fun. They NEVER touched on my weight because they knew it was something that really bothered me.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!