Dr Oz says people who cheat lose more weight

Options

Replies

• Elona_30
    Options
    in the last month i have lost 10lbs and I have had a spike day about once a week, so yes I do think its a good thing, if we don't have a spike day then we get board and we have all the craving of what we want to have and then fall off altogether because you are not happy. Im thinking that a spike day is a very good thing for everyone:wink:
  • jeffazi
    jeffazi Posts: 198
    Options
    Apparently, Dr. Oz is a firestarter but that's not really interesting to me.

I do know that once every once in a while (when my weight loss stalls) I will eat at to 750 calories above my maintenance calorie level for a day and it seems to be effective in jump-starting my metabolism. Almost invariably, I'll record a loss within a day or so of doing it. YMMV

We're off to see the Wizard, the Wonderful Wizard of...oh, yeah, sorry.
  • yodapooper
    Options
    Makes perfect sense to me. Deprivation can drive some of us to just either give up or really go hog wild with all the stuff we've been longing to have! Just as long as we get right back on track later.
  • gracielee1
    gracielee1 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    very interesting! Everything Dr Oz says is bond.
  • BrettPGH
    BrettPGH Posts: 4,720 Member
    Options
    I do agree with this but just the words "Dr OZ says" makes me not want too lol

That's how I feel exactly. Yes he's right this time. But he also believes people can heal each other with their hands and spirit energy.. I sure don't consider him a reputable expert on anything other than getting women to watch tv.
  • Skeemer118
    Skeemer118 Posts: 397 Member
    Options
    i do have a cheat day, which falls on the weekend its one meal though not the whole day. So through out the week I try to stay focus so I can enjoy that one meal that I've been working towards...

^ This. Same here. We're headed to Logan's Roadhouse on Sunday for a nice big steak. :bigsmile:
  • scooterhaz
    scooterhaz Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Bring on the Mexican food and Michelada's................................
  • chevy88grl
    chevy88grl Posts: 3,937 Member
    Options
    I don't do cheat meals or cheat days.

I do, however, eat what I want - when I want it. I simply eat it in moderation. Nothing spells "diet" like having to wait for a special day to have something I really enjoy. If I want a Reese's (or in the case of yesterday - pretzel M&M's), I want it NOW. Right this minute. I do not want to wait until the 3rd Saturday of the month or whatever. I prefer to enjoy life NOW instead of always waiting for something.

I've lost nearly 60lbs and I've been in maintenance for 18 months. I know that what I'm doing works for me. Cheat days/cheat meals did not work for me (I would end up binge eating because I was depriving myself of whatever I happened to want at that moment). If it works for some, awesome. But, it may not work for all.
  • emilydmac
    emilydmac Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    Dr. Oz says lots of things- it doesn't mean they are true
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options

Ditto
  • MILFaspirations
    MILFaspirations Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    i love doctor oz!!! i think he has good info on his show and i take what i want to get out of it.

too many haters. geeze!

i think i will have a chat with Spike in a week or two at RED ROBIN!!!!
  • HarlCarl
    HarlCarl Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    Ok..maybe I need to watch that show because all I got from these posts is that everyone cheats with a guy named Spike. I'm sure he's getting all the exercise he needs. :wink:

My wife would kill me if I cheated...with Spike or anyone for that matter. Not worth the risk!!!
  • Savyna
    Savyna Posts: 789 Member
    Options

But but..Dr. Oz is the bomb ~ hehe you don't like him?

Hes a quack
    Do you feel he's a quack because he believes in alternative medicine and being able to heal certain parts of yourself?
  • annabellj
    annabellj Posts: 1,337 Member
    Options
    If you actually read the article, he is saying the same thing that most of us on here are, everything in moderation and keep your daily calories around 15 to 1600 a day, and plan your cheat day. his "cheat" day consists of 1400 cal day.
  • BrettPGH
    BrettPGH Posts: 4,720 Member
    Options
    Do you feel he's a quack because he believes in alternative medicine and being able to heal certain parts of yourself?

Yep!
  • MsAmazing2u
    MsAmazing2u Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Did he say how often can we have those "cheat" days?
  • Captain_Tightpants
    Captain_Tightpants Posts: 2,215 Member
    Options
    I like Maximal Life's moderate concept of having a cheat day once a month.

I feel like a cheat day once a week could easily cancel out a steady 1lb/week loss. I don't know about you guys but I could pack away 3500 extra cals in a single day without even blinking.

Had my first cheat day in a month yesterday. Chicken Korma with Naan bread, as much of it as I wanted, and daaaamn it was good!
  • mummum2
    mummum2 Posts: 415 Member
    Options
    I don't do cheat meals or cheat days.

I do, however, eat what I want - when I want it. I simply eat it in moderation. Nothing spells "diet" like having to wait for a special day to have something I really enjoy. If I want a Reese's (or in the case of yesterday - pretzel M&M's), I want it NOW. Right this minute. I do not want to wait until the 3rd Saturday of the month or whatever. I prefer to enjoy life NOW instead of always waiting for something.

I've lost nearly 60lbs and I've been in maintenance for 18 months. I know that what I'm doing works for me. Cheat days/cheat meals did not work for me (I would end up binge eating because I was depriving myself of whatever I happened to want at that moment). If it works for some, awesome. But, it may not work for all.
  • jedi9393
    jedi9393 Posts: 121
    Options
    I have a cheat day once a month and I wish i didnt have to do that. When I do have a cheat meal the bloat stays on for about 5 days and I gain 3-4lbs of water weight and it drives me nuts. I dont see how anyone could cheat once a week. I lose on the average about 10-12lbs a month and have lost almost 60 in 5 months. So I half my cheat day to before 12 or 1. I just dunno how you guys can do it. For some it may work, but if I cheated more than once a month I stall big time. Im not an emotional eater or binge eater so depravation doesnt bother me. After I cheat I feel the cravings coming back and it takes 2 days for me to course correct.
  • dibdobw
    dibdobw Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    Its funny that I read this just now as I have decided to have a cheat week every so often. MY weight loss has stopped over the last 6 weeks despite cutting back on food and exercising more. I then read some where that this is because my body is in starvation mode due to lack of food. So my theory ( which is supported by you) is that every so often I will cheat to trick my body in to thinking I am back to normal eating, thereby letting go of the weight when I do diet and exercise. I will be interested to see if this works