Dr Oz says people who cheat lose more weight

Options

Replies

• Russellb97
    Russellb97 Posts: 1,057 Member
    Options
    Actually it's quite dumb, if the day was just 1,400 calories.
    That would mean if you had 2 slices of pizza and a bowl of ice cream you would have used up more than half of your daily calories.

:drinker:

Whatever Dr. Oz
  • KBGirts
    KBGirts Posts: 882 Member
    Options
    This was right on time!!!

I was just getting on to myself after logging my terrible lunch that I told myself would be my "unplanned" cheat meal.
  • helenlovesjosh
    Options
    I don't think they're should be a cheat day, but maybe one cheat meal, because if you are use to eating 1200 calories and then you have a cheat day and consume 2500 the extra 1300 calories will be stored as fat!
  • STurbs33
    STurbs33 Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    That would mean if you had 2 slices of pizza and a bowl of ice cream you would have used up more than half of your daily calories.

Whatever Dr. Oz

Well he modified all of the "cheat" foods so that they were actually pretty healthy. It really was just a mental thing. It wasn't really cheating on your diet because it stayed within the calorie limit, and probably the nutritional limits too. It was more like cheating your MIND into thinking you could eat all your favourite foods for one day.
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 10,018 Member
    Options
    I don't think they're should be a cheat day, but maybe one cheat meal, because if you are use to eating 1200 calories and then you have a cheat day and consume 2500 the extra 1300 calories will be stored as fat!
    No it won't. First of all you need to get past maintenance which should be well above the 1200 level, probably closer to 2000 calories, and when it's one day of overeating the next few days of undereating will on a linear basis make no difference and the extra calories over maintenance was actually to help reset hormones for continual fat burning as opposed to metabolic slowdown that occurs from dieting.
  • BrendaLee
    BrendaLee Posts: 4,463 Member
    Options
    Dr. Oz's cheat day isn't much of a cheat day in my opinion. This menu looks like the kind of menu I would aim for on a daily basis.

Breakfast: Eat Your Cheat Fat

2 strips of turkey bacon
    2 eggs
    Whole wheat wrap

A.M. Snack: Eat Your Cheat Salt

1 oz Brie or goat cheese
    7 whole-grain crackers
    Grapes
    Tall glass of water

Lunch: Eat Your Cheat Carb

1 slice of whole wheat pizza topped with grilled chicken and veggies

P.M. Snack: Eat Your Cheat Sugar

½ cup low-fat frozen yogurt
    10 almonds

Dinner: Eat Your Cheat Protein

4-ounce lean strip steak
    Root veggie “fries"
  • maryjay51
    Options
    heck ya i indulge from time to time .. no way i wouldve made it otherwise ..indulging is different for me now.. i try to plan it for one thing so i dont binge. i allow myself to go to a restaurant and enjoy a meal and i allow myself to indulge in a dessert i really want to have once in awhile. nothing wrong with it if you are on the right track, exercising regularly and doing what you are supposed to be doing. i find now that when i do indulge its not as much because i am so used to eating smaller meals. my stomach fills up really super fast so i cant binge even if i wanted to any more .
  • Russellb97
    Options

Actually it won't.

There are two main types of energy storage.
    Bodyfat - long-term storage
    Glycogen- short-term

When we are dieting glycogen gets burned through rather quickly and our body stores excess calories back there first because it's a higher priority.
    Most people can store around 1,600-3,000 calories of glycogen, when we overeat the extra calories get stored there first and once glycogen is at capacity the remaining is converted to triglycerides and stored as fat.

For me a weekly Spike Day is a necessity for me to maintain my weight loss, and the fact that I eat donuts and pizza is just the added bonus.
  • miamigirll
    Options
    Either way it confuses your metabolism, which keeps it from becoming stagnant! I only allow myself one cheat meal a week, but boy do I make sure it's worth it!

Good luck to everyone! :)
  • Russellb97
    Options
    No it won't. First of all you need to get past maintenance which should be well above the 1200 level, probably closer to 2000 calories, and when it's one day of overeating the next few days of undereating will on a linear basis make no difference and the extra calories over maintenance was actually to help reset hormones for continual fat burning as opposed to metabolic slowdown that occurs from dieting.

Absolutely.

Another great thing is Spike Days make your workouts much more effective, especially the day after because of the hormones and glycogen.

Growth hormone
    Leptin
    and testosterone all get a "Spike" after overeating.
  • Jovialation
    Jovialation Posts: 7,632 Member
    Options
    I dont care if hes right or not, I still wish horrible things on Dr Oz
  • MrsD4ever
    Options
    I don't do cheat meals or cheat days.

I do, however, eat what I want - when I want it. I simply eat it in moderation. Nothing spells "diet" like having to wait for a special day to have something I really enjoy. If I want a Reese's (or in the case of yesterday - pretzel M&M's), I want it NOW. Right this minute. I do not want to wait until the 3rd Saturday of the month or whatever. I prefer to enjoy life NOW instead of always waiting for something.

I've lost nearly 60lbs and I've been in maintenance for 18 months. I know that what I'm doing works for me. Cheat days/cheat meals did not work for me (I would end up binge eating because I was depriving myself of whatever I happened to want at that moment). If it works for some, awesome. But, it may not work for all.

This is how I feel/what I do as well.
  • Russellb97
    Options
    Here's the facts.

None of us can defy the Law of Thermodynamics (Calories in versus out)

The problem is constant calorie restriction(diet and exercise) causes leptin to drop.
    *7 days of restriction can cause leptin to drop by up to 50%
    *There's a correlation between the amount it drops and the level of cravings we feel
    *leptin decline can deregulate metabolism and begin slowing it down

So the amount of calories we eat has a direct effect on the calories we expend

*Also take into account depleted glycogen storage from calorie restriction and how that has a huge negative effect on our workouts.

*12 hours of overeating spikes leptin back up by 50-60% These elevated levels last through the following morning and perhaps longer.

(Calories out)
    I will use me as an example,
    This is the simplest explanation of how I did it.

My BMR is 2,300
    My estimated TDEE multiplier is 1.55 (I'm active daily and exercise about 1.5 hours a week)

So for the week I burn about 3565(daily) X 7= 24,955 Calories burned

(Calories In) I daily I alternate high and low calories
    2,300 X 3(days) = 6900
    1,800 X 3(days) = 5400
    Spike Day 2X(BMR)= 4,600

Total calories consumed 16,900

Weekly deficit - 24,955-16,900= 8,055/(3500cals for pound) =
    2.3 pounds lost per week

What's amazing is I lost 105lbs in 11 months and that is about 2.2 pounds per week.

No plateaus, and I got quite a bit stronger because I was able to workout much more efficiently due to glycogen and my hormones being balanced.

Every week I had a day to be excited about where i could literally eat whatever I wanted and that helped me stay honest the other 6 days.

It's so simple, I wish everyone would do this, and now you don't need to by my book. :happy:
  • indrani1947
    indrani1947 Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    Bump for the web site I found it very informative I have been zig zaging my calories within a weekly limit weight loss cals plus exercise cals seems to be working
  • marhattap
    marhattap Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    I am so glad to read this! I love my cheat days, which are usually Friday's!!!
  • rucks20
    rucks20 Posts: 711 Member
    Options
    bump
  • catic
    catic Posts: 156
    Options
    Dr. OZ has a new weight loss miricale with each espidode. If I did everything he said, I wouldn't stop chewing supplments, drinking tea, and doing lunges. He needs to pick a habit and stick to it.
  • JanineHarrison
    JanineHarrison Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    This isn't really news... trainers have been saying it for years. But its one of those things where the who, when, and how often really are different for everyone. I don't PLAN a cheat day or a spike day, not because I don't really believe in it, but because I know things will come up and I will go over here or there. I let myself have that flexiblity but I don't want to train my mind in to overeating a certain day each week.
  • GinaBinaFaye
    GinaBinaFaye Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Ok..maybe I need to watch that show because all I got from these posts is that everyone cheats with a guy named Spike. I'm sure he's getting all the exercise he needs. :wink:

Thanks for the :laugh: today!
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options

Whatever Dr. Oz

Well he modified all of the "cheat" foods so that they were actually pretty healthy. It really was just a mental thing. It wasn't really cheating on your diet because it stayed within the calorie limit, and probably the nutritional limits too. It was more like cheating your MIND into thinking you could eat all your favourite foods for one day.

Hmmm I don't need to trick my mind because I eat healthier versions of whatever I want every day. :P Also 1400 calories would be more restricted than my normal intake.