Dr Oz says people who cheat lose more weight

Options

Replies

• MILFaspirations
    MILFaspirations Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    Posted by Jillian Michaels on her facebok page for 30 day shred.

"CHEAT DAYS... you need one a week. If you don't, you are going to struggle in weight loss goals eventually.
    Cheat days (and I'm talking full on with pizza and hamburgers - whatever you want) help boost lepton levels that drop down when you eat a healthier lifestyle. They also create confusion for your body so it doesn't "adjust" to a set caloric intake. Try it - you will thank me."
  • becoming_a_new_me
    becoming_a_new_me Posts: 1,860 Member
    Options

Don't believe it just because Doc Oz said it....

However, there is a whole sub community of people on MFP of people who do Spike once of week. Myself being one of them. Without getting highly technical or over explaining the process. It works. Plain and simple. I've lost 40ish of the 50 pounds I've lost by spiking every weekend and just enjoying food. My Favorites are Pizza, Pasta and Arby's Roast Beef!

It wasn't really sarcasm as it was levity. There is a difference :flowerforyou:

I personally have a cheat day every couple of weeks so I don't feel deprived and I eat about 50% higher than I normally do....but I don't go all out like I used to
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    Do you feel he's a quack because he believes in alternative medicine and being able to heal certain parts of yourself?

Yep!

Maybe because I'm from the East I tend to believe and have seen results using natural products that can be picked straight from the earth. I'm not saying that every single thing can be cured that way but general things I tend to use and have seen results, but thats just from personal experience, from yours and several other responses I feel they have either never tried it or it has not worked for them.

This has nothing to do with personal experience. It has to do with medicine and science. Human bodies are not made up of different material if you're from the East or West.

He's recommended homeopathy which is dangerous to people suffering from real diseases. These medical scams are nothing new. You can tell me all about the great personal experiences people have had with homeopathy, faith healing, ionized/magnetic bracelets, reikki, or bare handed surgery in a third world country. They are all dangerous scams. Many testimonials are outright fakes. I do everything I can to prevent people from falling for these scams and the scam artists who employ them. They are dangerous and a waste.

From this lupus patient: :drinker:
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 10,017 Member
    Options
    Call a cheat whatever you want, but when someone sustains a deficit for long periods of time metabolic adaption occurs, it can't be helped. A cheat/carb load/zig-zag helps reset hormones like leptin and basically fools the body in that your not trying to slowly kill it. lol It's not a new concept.
  • laurensmomma09
    laurensmomma09 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    it wont open for me..... is this happening to anyone else or is it because i live in canada?
    can someone give me the run down of it?
  • Kayla165
    Kayla165 Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    Based on personal experience, I agree. "Spike" day for me is tomorrow, and I'm really looking forward to those cheese covered nachos and Boston mud cake I have planned :bigsmile:

Omg! That sounds amazing.
  • Lona728
    Lona728 Posts: 105
    Options
    I also have a spike meal once a week. 6 days a week I stick close to 1200 calories and one day a week I let myself eat whatever I want for dinner that night. I still keep it under 2000 calories for the day and I still log it. I lost 18lbs in January doing this. So, it works for me. I don't have a problem getting right back on track the next day. Also, I eat chocolate almost every day. I just stick to about half a serving and I count the calories.
  • erixitl
    erixitl Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I don't intentionally allocate a spike day, but because I have an erratic schedule I usually wind up having one once per week or so. I usually find that I do a little better in spike weeks than in ones where I actually managed to be "good."
  • crystal479
    crystal479 Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    whats a spike day
  • msaap
    msaap Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    I do a cheat meal once a week and I've been able to lose the lbs. The key is to find what really works for you and stick with it. Some people, like my best friend, can't handle cheat days. She always goes overboard, so she stopped doing them.

When I have my cheat meal, I still eat within my calorie range and I still workout. One thing I don't do is have a cheat meal on strength training days. For some reason, I feel sick if I eat bad on those day :sick: , so I only eat a cheat meal on Sat when I do intense cardio.
  • tidmutt
    tidmutt Posts: 317
    Options
    I like the sounds of it. However, I read through all the comments and no one seems to answer questions like, "Is it moderation? Do we eat anything and everything?", etc. I really am curious. On my spike days, do I eat whatever I want all day or just one meal? Do I still try to stay near my calorie/fat/sodium goals?

Well,if you follow the OP's approach (in his book) he suggests the Spike day should be RMRx2. For me that is 4,000 calories. I eat whatever I want pretty much. I've done cheat meals before etc. but I can tell you a cheat day of 4,000 calories is very different. It's the one day a week where I feel like I'm one of those people who can get away with grabbing a snickers bar on the checkout line, down a couple of beers and so on without feeling guilty.

You should make sure your overall calorie intake for the week is in deficit though, so basically make sure you stick to your planned intake the other 6 days.
  • QueenJayJay
    QueenJayJay Posts: 1,139
    Options
    Do you feel he's a quack because he believes in alternative medicine and being able to heal certain parts of yourself?

Yep!

Maybe because I'm from the East I tend to believe and have seen results using natural products that can be picked straight from the earth. I'm not saying that every single thing can be cured that way but general things I tend to use and have seen results, but thats just from personal experience, from yours and several other responses I feel they have either never tried it or it has not worked for them.

This has nothing to do with personal experience. It has to do with medicine and science. Human bodies are not made up of different material if you're from the East or West.

He's recommended homeopathy which is dangerous to people suffering from real diseases. These medical scams are nothing new. You can tell me all about the great personal experiences people have had with homeopathy, faith healing, ionized/magnetic bracelets, reikki, or bare handed surgery in a third world country. They are all dangerous scams. Many testimonials are outright fakes. I do everything I can to prevent people from falling for these scams and the scam artists who employ them. They are dangerous and a waste.

^He's right.

He can, however, dance.

Dr-Oz--show-2-076_02105.jpg
  • escloflowneCHANGED
    escloflowneCHANGED Posts: 3,038 Member
    Options
    I like the sounds of it. However, I read through all the comments and no one seems to answer questions like, "Is it moderation? Do we eat anything and everything?", etc. I really am curious. On my spike days, do I eat whatever I want all day or just one meal? Do I still try to stay near my calorie/fat/sodium goals?

I was told by my nutritionist to go eat whatever I want, I decided to go with one meal and I still chose somewhat healthy just a large portion with sauce and all the good stuff I stay away from. I have done it on saturdays and even twice a week so far and I have lost 21 lbs in a month. I'm still hesitent about going to McDonalds because I think that will be more of a mental thing to going back to old habits but he said go for it....Not going to do it just yet haha
  • beaglenutty
    beaglenutty Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    I usually have a cheat day on Sat but I try to just do it for dinner somehing that I really want.
  • krislshoe
    krislshoe Posts: 459 Member
    Options
    I have to admit i have done this too and still lost....Im thinking there should be a cheat day if not once a week then once every two:)
  • Sabresgal63
    Sabresgal63 Posts: 641 Member
    Options
    I totally agree with this theory and will be trying it soon, not because Dr. Oz said so, but because there are so many responses by people on here that are in the same boat..........thanks everyone for sharing.:bigsmile:
  • STurbs33
    STurbs33 Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    I'm watching the episode now, and it's not really the kind of cheat day I envisioned. It had nothing to do with calorie spiking (the day's total was 1400 calories) and included meals that I would eat on a normal day (the whole wheat pizza sounded yummy!). I guess he can't entirely endorse eating excessively, but what was advertised certainly didn't match his explanation. I still like the show, I just don't think his interpretation of cheat day was the same as some of ours.

As for me, I'll continue to cheat/spike until it stops working for me!
  • Russellb97
    Russellb97 Posts: 1,057 Member
    Options
    :laugh: :laugh:

I actually really like the OZ, granted I don't watch all of his shows and I have disagreed with some of his comments. Overall though I think he's a good guy.

I'm excited because I've been doing this for about 8 years now when I began losing over 100lbs. It's one of those things that many in the "mainstream" have a hard time understanding because it's so counter intuitive. Dr Oz, has a huge "mainstream" following and there are many people who won't listen to me but will believe it if Dr. Oz says it.

This is 100% true, studies back this and anecdotal evidence backs this. Honestly the most important benefit to "spiking" is being able to maintain the weight loss because 95% of the people who lose weight the old fashioned way end up gaining it back.

My plan is simply,
    6 Days of a calorie deficit
    1 Day of a calorie surplus (Spike Day)
    Overall for the 7 days, you will be in a caloric deficit, but Spike Day breaks the trend of of calorie restriction and spikes leptin levels back up which then drops our cravings and increases metabolism.
  • TurtleRunnerNC
    TurtleRunnerNC Posts: 768 Member
    Options
    I am new here. Jan joiner. I have lost 7lbs. I take Sunday as my 'day off' it is my weigh in day. I weigh in first thing in the morning then just enjoy my day. I still log everything I just don't worry about it. I feel it is working for me. It helps me stay focused the rest of the week.

I still have 'treats' during the week if I want & if I have the spare calories. The other night I had 96 left so I had two thin mint girl scout cookies. I have split a milky way in half, thoroughly enjoyed my half & left the other half in the fridge for another day when I had room for it.

All in moderation. And, if you can't control if you 'cheat' maybe you shouldn't. But it is working for me.
  • Russellb97
    Russellb97 Posts: 1,057 Member
    Options
    I'm watching the episode now, and it's not really the kind of cheat day I envisioned. It had nothing to do with calorie spiking (the day's total was 1400 calories) and included meals that I would eat on a normal day (the whole wheat pizza sounded yummy!). I guess he can't entirely endorse eating excessively, but what was advertised certainly didn't match his explanation. I still like the show, I just don't think his interpretation of cheat day was the same as some of ours.

As for me, I'll continue to cheat/spike until it stops working for me!

So it was simply for the mental break? :huh:

I'm very disappointed.
    You can eat "junk food" but if you are still in a calorie deficit it will do nothing for the hormonal balance.