Dr Oz says people who cheat lose more weight

Options

Replies

• GlassslippersAndFairyDust
    Options
    I love Dr. Oz and I've been doing this long before he ever said it and it works. Every Friday is my "Chocolate Friday" and I have been doing this for over a year with great success. :flowerforyou:
  • BeeDupuis
    BeeDupuis Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I like my free day :) Every Friday I weigh in, and I eat usually good the whole day, but than I do like to enjoy my wine in the evening without the guilty feeling. I belive this is a life long journey, I cannot deprieve myself of everything, but I sure can wait until Friday!
  • beckyinma
    beckyinma Posts: 1,433 Member
    Options
    Yep, it is true. I am really really good throughout the week then go for a burger, and not a turkey burger, on Saturday, and boom, another pound that week. It IS OK to give yourself permission to have that one really great meal once a week or once every couple of weeks. It is NOT OK to say well, there was so much sodium in that one meal that the rest of my week is shot, so why bother counting for the rest of the week...you HAVE to compensate with water and exercise and being good the rest of the days, and keep yourself reeled in...

SELF CONTROL people!
  • TrailRunner61
    TrailRunner61 Posts: 2,505 Member
    Options
    That might work to keep you out of 'starvation' mode but then again if we took every supplement/pill that Dr. Oz says we should, we would be bankrupt, too full to eat and lose even more weight! haha :/
  • tiffastar
    tiffastar Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    Actually it's quite dumb, if the day was just 1,400 calories.
    That would mean if you had 2 slices of pizza and a bowl of ice cream you would have used up more than half of your daily calories.

:drinker:

Whatever Dr. Oz

Well he modified all of the "cheat" foods so that they were actually pretty healthy. It really was just a mental thing. It wasn't really cheating on your diet because it stayed within the calorie limit, and probably the nutritional limits too. It was more like cheating your MIND into thinking you could eat all your favourite foods for one day.

Hmmm I don't need to trick my mind because I eat healthier versions of whatever I want every day. :P Also 1400 calories would be more restricted than my normal intake.

Exactly. I usually enjoy Dr. Oz, but I didn't particularly agree with his idea of a "cheat" day.

Agreed - it was like - you get a cheat day! As long as you eat healthy low calorie treats! Um, yea, that's what I do the other 6 days of the week. Thanks.
  • virginiejaubin
    virginiejaubin Posts: 497 Member
    Options
    For the last 3 weeks, I cheated 1 day/week and lost 3 lbs/week!
  • steph0924
    steph0924 Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    It worked for me when I had more weight to lose. But now, with only about 10 pounds to go, if I have a spike day on the weekend, I gain 3 pounds and then spend the next week getting it off. Not sure why it isn't working anymore. I lost 17 pounds before I joined here and would be happy with 10 more.
  • HauteP1nk
    HauteP1nk Posts: 2,139 Member
    Options
    Well, I guess when my fiance catches me red handed with Pablo the pool boy I will just have to tell my fiance that Dr. Oz told me to do it...

....I just hope he doesn't catch on to the fact that we have a pool boy and no pool before I've lost a few lbs.
  • BSummers321
    BSummers321 Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    spike.jpg

I like Spike days. :drinker:

UNF, now that's my kind of diet ;)
  • ksmarathon2010
    Options
    I got the book a couple weeks ago. Tomorrow is going to be my third spike Saturday. A couple questions: how often do you redo RMR and if I workout a couple hours a day, walk, elliptical, bike and I did add a little strength training what would you consider my activity level to be? Thanks
  • JLWilson27
    Options
    Ok..maybe I need to watch that show because all I got from these posts is that everyone cheats with a guy named Spike. I'm sure he's getting all the exercise he needs. :wink:

OMG that is so funny! I thought the topic of this was cheating ... like on your significant other.

Sad thing is, we know a guy named Spike ... and I'm sure he gets all the exercise he needs too! LOL
  • megansoriano
    Options
    http://www.doctoroz.com/episode/dr-ozs-fat-urday-day-cheat-your-diet

Obviously I agree, I lost over 100lbs this way and by "spiking" every week I've not only maintained my weight loss for 8 years but I'm in consistently better and better shape.

I'm excited to watch this episode.

haha I learned this the hard way! I allowed myself to cheat whenever and after a while it became less and less because I just didn't desire the same foods anymore. Except dark chocolate. That will always be my weakness!
  • MissJamiie
    MissJamiie Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    I have my cheat day on fridays :) or else I wouldnt be able to do this!
  • hselby87
    hselby87 Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    Regardless of who said it, cheat days work. I don't understand the disdain for Dr Oz, but the basis for the statement is real.
  • KJLIII
    KJLIII Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • lilsassymom
    lilsassymom Posts: 407 Member
    Options
    Now question....do you all log your 'spike' days or would you rather not know. I feel guilty when I log it because I see how much I went over. I am wondering if I would feel better not logging because then I wouldn't know...
  • wildkatt7
    wildkatt7 Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    I won't ever call it cheating... I eat what I want within my numbers... and it REALLY works for me.
  • ironanimal
    ironanimal Posts: 5,922 Member
    Options
    Now question....do you all log your 'spike' days or would you rather not know. I feel guilty when I log it because I see how much I went over. I am wondering if I would feel better not logging because then I wouldn't know...

I don't log it because it's a pain in the *kitten* to record 3700 calories of food. I did the first time, but never again :laugh:
  • MistressOfHate
    Options
    When I cheat regularly (or have spike days, if you prefer that term), I don't lose.

What does work, for me, is to eat at maintenance for one week, every three months. I still log and still meet my macros (mostly), but I can fit in ice cream, pasta, pizza, beer, etc. This helps reset my leptin levels and helps me retain my sanity, not to mention motivation to stick with the deficit the rest of the time.

This sounds reasonable. I'm down to the last 15 pounds...maybe 10...it depends on how I look. I feel like this might work for me once I stall out.
  • Savyna
    Savyna Posts: 789 Member
    Options

I log everything, mainly because my spike days are currently not that high and even on my spike days I don't eat that many foods that it becomes hard to log anyways.