50+ Women for the Month of April

Options

Replies

• Ladyleo
    Ladyleo Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Good Morning,

Just a quick update. I moved to Alabama for a job. My husband is at home in Kansas taking care of the farm. This has been difficult as we haven't been apart for 23 years.

I am working, and adjusting nicely, I just get bored easily. Do you think it is possible to develop ADD as an adult? I have never been this way before. It's almost like I have to focus so hard at work that when I am away from work, I have no ability to concentrate on anything.

I am camping out using a lawn chair, a box for a side table, and an air mattress. I will keep an eye out for a garage sale or auction and get some furniture.

I have continued to lose, however I am not eating as healthy.

My goals are to eat more on the healthy side, :ohwell: drink more water, :drinker: and walk at least 30 minutes every day.
  • elli
    elli Posts: 593
    Options
    Ladyleo - your life sounds kind of exciting! I hope you and your husband will get together sometime!!!!!! Alabama is a long way from Kansas! When i was young and married my husband (then, no longer) and i drove 2 different trucks. The dispatchers would tell us when our paths were going to cross so we could see each other.

Thank you all for your kind thoughts and words. I sure miss the old boy nickering to me when i first go out in the morning:frown:

Susan - i made the pumpkin cake today using butter pecan cake mix. It's really good! Thank you for sharing that recipe! I'll feed it to my wire workers this afternoon, freeze the rest and keep a couple pieces out for the weekend.

Sorry i don't have time to answer everyone - gotta go figure out how to run the jigsaw i bought!

elli
  • AHealthierSuzyQ
    Options
    :mad: :explode: :devil: :explode: :mad:
    If frustration burns calories I should be in great shape! The cement man stood us up today! Hubby had 5 guys lined up to help him float the slab. The jerk didn't even have the decency to call and say he wasn't coming.... Just didn't show up. Now we have to find someone else and get on their waiting list.

Good news is the AC part came in, so hubby and his brother got things up and running again. So at least we won't be sweating tonight.
  • FITFORLIFE1944
    Options
    BARB,

HOW ABOUT THESE FOR YOUR LIST:

FOODS USED FOR MEDICINAL PURPOSES NEVER COUNT, EXAMPLE, HOT CHOCOLATE, BRANDY.

EXERCISE MAKES YOU EAT MORE

COOKIE PIECES CONTAIN NO CALORIES AT ALL. THE PROCESS OF BREAKING THE COOKIE CAUSES THE CALORIES TO LEAK OUT

HAVE A GREAT HAPPY BIRTHDAY PARTY.

LADY LEO,

23 YEARS AND NEVER APART, THAT MUST BE SO HARD FOR YOU BOTH.
    AS FOR ADD, POSSIBLE BUT NOT PROBABLE.
    GOOD FOR YOU THAT YOU ARE STILL LOSING. YOU SAID IT YOURSELF, TRY TO EAT
    MORE HEALTHY FOODS.

ANNE
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,995 Member
    Options
    I’m trying to do this earlier while my brain is still awake.:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

:flowerforyou: Pearl----it’s good to hear from you again. It’s amazing how energizing walking is once you get a plan for it. I walk at the dog park while my dogs run. They go when I say we’re going so I’m sure of company no matter what. Congrats on your weight loss.:bigsmile:

:flowerforyou: Anne---I love the one about medicinal food. That probably means that the sodium in Campbell’s chicken noodle soup doesn’t count.:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

:flowerforyou: Kathy---I love your attitude. Staying fit and healthy is a lot more important than what the neighbors think.:laugh:

:flowerforyou: Ladyleo
    No wonder you want to go home. I hate it too when I have to be apart from my husband. Won’t he be thrilled when you come home thinner than when you left? Don’t worry about the ADD and lack of focus. I read somewhere that fidgeting burns a lot of calories and so if you’re up and down and all around being unfocused, maybe you’re burning a bunch of calories.:laugh:

:flowerforyou: Elli---be safe using that jigsaw. You need all your fingers to do yoga and to type messages to all of us .:laugh: :laugh:

:flowerforyou: Susan
    if you paced up and down in your frustration then you probably
    burned a lot of calories:laugh:

I know that a lot of you don’t post on weekends. Hope you’re having fun.

Dog park today for 50 minutes with lots of nice dogs, exercise bike 45 minutes, and time spent loading things in the motorhome to get ready for our trip in May.:bigsmile:

Our desk top computer died :sad: :cry: and we had to buy a new one.:bigsmile: Friends brought us three thorny rose bushes :bigsmile: and Jake has to plant them:laugh: :laugh:

We're off to another opportunity tonight to "say no to birthday cake"

pleasant dreams and happy weekend to all:bigsmile:
  • Swissmiss
    Swissmiss Posts: 8,754 Member
    Options
    Susan..It may not be a bad idea to report that contractor to BBB. He may be stopped from continuing his bad business habits.

I would like to know how any of you here that are working can find time to be here and posting in the thread. Of course, I was too tired this past week being as it was my first week back to work but I am not sure that I can keep up with all of you. I haven't even been reporting my foods.
  • barbiecat
    Options
    :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:

:flowerforyou: Becky
    If I were working I wouldn't be posting so much and keeping track of every mouthful.

Even if you don't do all that, I hope you can make an eating plan and stick to it. the plan is the most important thing. and of course the water:drinker: :laugh: :drinker: :laugh:

Be kind to yourself since you're just getting back to work, you won't have the kind of energy that you're used to having. Take it one day at a time and take baby steps.:bigsmile: :bigsmile: :bigsmile:

Big hugs ((((( ))))
    Barbie
  • weaklink109
    weaklink109 Posts: 2,831 Member
    Options
    Hi All,

I have returned from my day trip up the Columbia Gorge on Saturday. All 4 of my canine passengers are in one piece, and my human passenger and I managed the roundtrip with our sanity (what there is of it) intact.

There were, however, some "moments to remember." With 3 of the four dogs in the back of my hatchback vehicle, and Pepper, my Shih Tzu riding shotgun on the console between the front seats, it appeared everybody had there own space. Mai Li, my Lhasa Apso, didn't get the nickname "Diva Girl" by being easy to get along with. She decided no matter where in the back Katie the pug was located, it was the "wrong" place. When we stopped to pick up the infamous Costco Rotisserie chickens, my friend stayed behind in the car, and Katie relocated herself to his lap, where she stayed for the next hour until we arrived at our destination.

We had a good time at the birthday party, except when my friend said to our hosts dog "come and get it"--meaning the toy--and Toby accidentally "got" his little finger instead!! A little blood was spilled, but no harm done. I did a little harm with the birthday cake and some rum, but since I brought most of the food, I made sure we had lots of veggies.

On the return trip, Mai Li, once again, was acting like herself, so Katie the pug camped out on her daddy's lap all the way home.

This morning, when I looked at the front passenger seat of my car, it looked like a giant hairball had been there and on the floor!! NOTHING SHEDS LIKE A PUG!! The interior of my car is black, and although Katie is black, she somehome managed to shed only her grey/white hair all over my car!!

Thank goodness Shih Tzus and Lhasa Apsos don't shed!!

Oh, and in regard to the Rotisserie chickens...both arrived unscathed at their destination...and they were very good!! YUM.

I weighed in on Sat and despite my multiple bouts of naughtiness this past week, I have lost another pound, so to counteract the effects of the birthday party, I am limiting my food today and I went for a walk this morning and am about to go out again tonight.

Have a good week, all

Barb
  • Swissmiss
    Options
    Barbie...thank you so much for understanding where I am at this time. I have been thinking about it and I am planning on going to the gym before going home after work. This is the only way I can fit it in. If I go home first then I will get wrapped up in everything going on at home. I think that I can work some computer time in after dinner. I don't want to stay away very long from all of you because you are a lifeline for me.
  • FITFORLIFE1944
    Options
    GOOD MORNING EVERYONE,

SUSAN, THAT IS SUCH A DISAPPOINTMENT, ALL READY AND NOT EVEN A CALL. GLAD THE AC IS WORKING.

BARBIE, WHERE ARE YOU GOING IN MAY? IF YOU ALREADY SAID, SORRY TO ASK AGAIN.
    NO BIRTHDAY CAKE AND YOU DON'T EVEN SOUND A BIT DEPRIVED. NO SAD STATEMENT ABOUT WHAT YOU ARE "MISSING", NOT EVEN A "POOR US" GOOD FOR YOU AND HUBBY TOO.

BECKY, WHEN I WAS WORKING,IT WAS SO HARD TO FIND TIME FOR "ME". I TOTALLY GET IT. SOUNDS LIKE A GOOD STRATEGY TO GO TO THE GYM B/4 YOU GET HOME. YOU CAN DO IT.
    GLAD FOR WHATEVER TIME YOU HAVE TO WRITE US. IF YOU CAN JUST FIND TIME TO READ
    OUR THOUGHTS, AND IT HELPS,THAT IS FINE TOO.

HERE IS A LITTLE MOTIVATION FOR ALL OF US TO START OUR WEEK:

THERE'S ABSOLUTELY NO REASON YOU WON'T SUCCEED!
    WE CAN ALL COME UP WITH REASONS WE WON'T GET OUR
    HEART'S DESIRE. BUT IT'S TIME TO CAST THOSE DOUBTS ASIDE,
    BECAUSE THERE'S NO STOPPING A DREAM FUELED BY HOPE,
    HARD WORK - AND YOU!!!
    BELIEVE IN YOURSELF AND YOUR POTENTIAL (YOU HAVE SO MUCH)
    AND WATCH WHAT YOU WANT MOST IN LIFE HAPPEN!

ANNE
  • FITFORLIFE1944
    Options
    HI,
    I SENT A MESSAGE ONCE BUT FOR SOME REASON IT APPEARED TWICE. IS THERE A WAY TO TOTALLY DELETE A MESSAGE. I ONLY SEE EDIT.
  • healthier4me
    healthier4me Posts: 357 Member
    Options
    Good Morning everyone

I am now back from the wedding and extremely glad to be home. There really is no place like home:bigsmile:

Despite walking almost everyday on the beach for an hour and working out for an hour in the fitness centre I gained 5 lbs:grumble: :grumble: Just goes to show you what stress does to us. So it is back on track for me. The past is behind me and the future looks bright:laugh:

I hope everyone is doing well...I haven't had the chance to read all the weekly posts on here but I will try once I finish my "committment\" to my washing machine:happy:

Keep up the great work:flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:

Did I mention that I was glad to be home surrounded by all the great women on this thread:smile::smile: You guys are awesome and I value your support:flowerforyou:

Cheers:drinker:
  • dricotta1
    dricotta1 Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    Mornin' all,

As I read thru the posts I realized how difficult and stressful everyone's life is a good share of the time. No wonder it's hard to take care of ourselves in good ways. It so easy to say "I'm really stressed out, upset, sad, angry (fill in the blank) I deserve that cookie, or extra helping or whatever your favorite comfort food is.

I'm trying hard to say instead "you deserve to take time to go for a walk, or sit down and read or have a nice glass of iced tea". In other words to find other comfort things that I "deserve" and will also be better for me. I know this is not new info to anyone, but listening to how hard so much of our lives is, it was worth thinking about again.

All we can do is the best we can. Hugs to all, take a breath, Diane
  • Benson
    Benson Posts: 444
    Options
    Good Morning Ladies

It seem so unfair that the weekends are so short. It's a rainy, ugly Monday here today.

I lost 2.5 lbs last week. Yay for me.

Yesterday I did part of a Richard Simmons DVD I can't remember the name of it. Something about Party off the Pounds. Its over 50 minutes long and I did 27.5 minutes. I had to modify the movements for my left are but all in all I'm totally excited to be able to do that much. I was giggling alot because I always thought I was kind of graceful - NOT :laugh: My arms and legs were always in the wrong spot but I'll get there. I look forward to the day when I can do all of it with as much energy as I can. I think that's a long way away but its in me to do it!!

This week my goal is to report some kind of exercise everyday and to get rid of everything in our house that is surplus - You have no idea how big of a job that is!!! I just picture how much easier it will be to keep up with the house if I can just 'de-crapify' everywhere. My daughter's room is completely overflowing with stuffies. I gave her the speech about children who don't have any and asked her to seriously go through them and give me some for the shelter - the little darling took about 15 minutes and came out with two tiny little critters - like you would win at the local fair. " here you go Mom, I need the rest" - I was kind of expecting the large clear bag I gave her to be filled:grumble:

Here's to a good week for all of us.

Today I will
    exercise for 30 minutes
    eat all my fruits and veggies
    drink 6 waters

Heather
  • plantlady99
    plantlady99 Posts: 1,338 Member
    Options
    Hello Ladies:flowerforyou:

Nice to see all.

The weather is still summer like here in MA. Nice to have the windows open. I got to the gym today. I did not go the weekend. It was just so nice out. I just enjoyed the yard with family and friends.

Tomorrow will be 90 again. As we had on Sunday. Today is around 80.

Well, just finished my spinach salad. Going to watch my grand daughter play softball late this after noon. Dinner is up in the air.

I wish I was as good as "Barbie". She has to be the ultimate planner.

Love all you great ladies. We sure do help each other.

:heart: Kathy

:drinker: :drinker: :drinker: :drinker: :drinker: :drinker: Water, Water, everywhere. I have to drink my water.
  • AHealthierSuzyQ
    Options
    Hello and happy Monday to all you wonderful motivating ladies!

Some of you have been talking about zigzagging. What is that exactly, and what is the benefit?

Seems like after resting all day Sunday I can REALLY get with my exercise DVD on Mondays. I find I"m having to pause for a rest or drink less and less and am doing ALMOST all the reps now. :happy: My core muscles are still very weak, so the exercises that target my abdomen are still the ones I have the hardest time with. Drinking all that water is getting easier. :drinker:

I dropped another pound since last Wednesday. Now if I can lose just one more by Thursday I will have met my April goal of 5 pounds down.

It is a gorgeous sunny day and hubby is out of town on a job, so I think I'll take my little doggie on a walk this afternoon and enjoy Spring while I burn calories.
  • elli
    Options
    Becky - i know what you mean about working full time and finding the time to post. I TRY and get on here every day - it's SO motivating - but some days i just don't make it. I work out of my barns and it's SO easy just to walk across the driveway after work to the house and not leave. I TRY and make it a priority to get to the gym as soon as i'm done working. Don't beat yourself up - just try to read the stuff as often as you can and do a quick post just to let us know you're hanging in!

Susan - you are doing so great with wt loss AND exercising! Glad you got your AC fixed at least. Hopefully you'll get a more reliable cement person! Did i tell you i made that pumpkin cake? I couldn't believe how good it was! Everyone i gave some too loved it too! Thank you! I'm curious to hear about zigzagging also - i thought it just meant going up and down in weight - i didn't realize it was a "thing".

Speaking of going up and down - i gained 2 pounds since Friday. I didn't think i was THAT bad over the weekend - clearly i WAS:indifferent: Back on this morning - icky rainy outside so no walk. I will go to the gym tho. too cold to work in my house after work.

Back to work - have a good monday all! Anne - thank you for so much inspiration!
  • barbiecat
    Options
    We’ve just come back from an hour at the dog park with a boxer, labradoodle, weimardoodle, and a bunch of other dogs. The weather here is beautiful here----63 degrees right now.

Today is my weigh-in day and I lost 3 more pounds. YIPPEE:bigsmile: :bigsmile: :bigsmile:

:flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: Barb---you do know how to tell a story----it sounds like you did great this weekend in spite of all the dog induced stress and all the food temptations---glad to hear that you lost weight besides.:bigsmile:

:flowerforyou: Becky----going to the gym before you go home sounds inspired. I agree that once you get home there’s no going out again. I did that years ago when I went to Jazzercise. I brought my workout clothes to work with me and changed into them in the rest room at work so I was less likely to change my mind in the car.:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

:flowerforyou: Anne---our trip in May is to California. We have friends and family to see in Red Bluff, Vacaville, and Eureka so we’ll be in some different weather (very hot inland and chilly and maybe foggy on the coast). Thank you for the inspirational words. I know that I need something to nudge me every day. I can’t do well on yesterday’s inspiration. I have to take it one day at a time. That also means that I don’t carry yesterday’s discouragement into today , either. I don’t think there’s a way to totally delete an accidental double post. I just learned how to edit today.

:flowerforyou: Healthier4me---I’m glad to hear from you again. I guess I didn’t realize that you had to go somewhere else for the wedding. No wonder you were stressed. You are so right that being connected to the wonderful women on this thread means a lot and is so helpful We’re leaving on a trip on Monday and taking our laptop computer and staying at RV parks with wifi so I can stay connected.

:flowerforyou: Diane---as I was reading your post I heard the clothes dryer stop and I jumped up to go work on the laundry, then quickly sat down again when I realized that I deserved this time to write to you and my other MFP friends and the laundry could wait. Thanks for reminding me. Part of taking things one day at a time is that I need a daily reminder of the basic principles of healthy living.

:flowerforyou: Heather----one of the best parts of exercising at home is that no one is looking at you (except dogs, at my house) so even if you aren’t fit or graceful or whatever, you can still get a great workout. I understand how your daughter can’t get rid of stuff. I am just like that. On the other hand, the workout clothes I wore to yoga were ones that have been in a bag for almost ten years since I stopped going to Jazzercize. Congrats on your weight loss.:bigsmile:

:flowerforyou: Kathy
    always remember that I am among the “idle retired” and have no children or grandchildren nearby so my life isn’t nearly as scattered and fragmented as it was when I was working and pulled in many directions by family. You continue to be my inspiration. Your great sense of humor adds so much to my day.
    :bigsmile:

:flowerforyou: Susan—you continue to make progress---your success on your exercise DVD is awesome----your doggie will love you for going on a walk and so will your waistline.

:flowerforyou: Elli----you’re back on track today so don’t look back at past stuff. Keep on keeping on and those pounds will leave permanently. You can do it.

Thank you all for your humor and thoughtfulness. You all mean so much to me.:heart::love:
    Barbie
  • elli
    Options
    Barbie!!!!!!!!!!! OMG! another 3 pounds?!?!?!?:drinker: :flowerforyou: :happy: You are AWESOME! You've lost 27 pounds - you almost get to say THIRTY!!!!! Congratulations. You are so inspiring!

I just got back from the gym - earned an extra 500 calories....... ate some cabbage and tomato soup for supper - then i'll have cereal with fruit and almond milk in a bit. That should do it! If i can just stay away from everything else:ohwell: yes yes - i can do it!

Have a good night. :heart: elli
  • Swissmiss
    Options
    Barbie...that is terrific. You are my inspiration.

elli...good for you..gaining back 500 calories.

I did go to the gym after work today. I only did 15 minutes on the bike and 10 minutes using weights with my arms. My husband went also but he injured his shoulder last week at work and couldn't do anything but shower, so I didn't get to workout as long as I would have liked.