Not what you thought it was............

Replies

• teri1956
    teri1956 Posts: 221 Member
    Not me, but.. When we were younger, one of my brothers was talking about mad cow disease while we were eating hamburgers for dinner. My sister goes, "Well we don't have to worry about that tonight, we're eating hamburgers."
    My mom says, "what do you think the patties are made of?"
    "Ham."
    Brussel Sprouts were baby cabbages :laugh:

Hmmm. My uncle told me they were baby turtles wrapped in lettuce... Either way, they taste like an ashtray, so I stay away.

Not the fresh ones off the stalk........ with bacon ....... or lemon butter ........... okay - I'm heading home to make sauteed brussels sprouts. (Even the 10-year old likes them).
  • ShellBell4281
    ShellBell4281 Posts: 127 Member
    Tea Bagging....
    When I was a pre-teen, tea-bagging was a caffeine rush derived by sucking on tea-bags, and then jumping around with a slight high. Fast forward 30 years.

I saw some tea-bags dumped in the trash, and my son, aged 15, had a sleep-over with several of his friends. My wife had dumped those tea-bags, but I didn't know that. I jokingly said "I see you guys were tea-bagging - eh?"

Ahhhhh!!!! I'm dying right now. So funny!
  • Churble
    Churble Posts: 85 Member
    "Paradigms"... I had heard the word before but never saw it spelled, so when I came across it as a restaurant name, I went "Huh? Para-dig-ums?"

Sigh.

Yes! I still read it that way.
  • Chagama
    Chagama Posts: 543 Member
    My kids spent many years referring to the big mall as the "Mall of the Merica" Even when they got old enough to read the sign that says "Mall of America"
  • Faye_Anderson
    Faye_Anderson Posts: 1,495 Member
    I always thought the lyrics to Smooth Criminal were "Eddie are you ok?", even after MJ died, one day I was singing along to it and my kid sister burst out laughing and explained it said "Annie" and asked if I never wondered why we sang it to our friend Annie every time we went out! :embarassed:
  • jend114
    jend114 Posts: 1,058 Member
    Tea Bagging....
    When I was a pre-teen, tea-bagging was a caffeine rush derived by sucking on tea-bags, and then jumping around with a slight high. Fast forward 30 years.

I saw some tea-bags dumped in the trash, and my son, aged 15, had a sleep-over with several of his friends. My wife had dumped those tea-bags, but I didn't know that. I jokingly said "I see you guys were tea-bagging - eh?"

They all looked at me wide-eyed, embarrassed. I continued...
    "Oh come on! I used to do that with my friends years ago" - and so the conversation went.
    I left it at a that, and it was not until later that night at a party that somebody advised me of my mistake.

I WAS APPALLED!

omg my coworker just asked if I was ok because I was laughing so hard
  • Herownself
    Herownself Posts: 56 Member
    OMG Love this thread.

My son used to get excited about his animal alphabet video. The first animal was an armadillo. He would shout "Armadildo!" over and over again.
  • My fiancee thought that LOL meant laugh on line :)
  • SarahMorganP
    SarahMorganP Posts: 921 Member
    My 8 year old loved Justin Bieber last year. When she heard Eminem's song Love The Way You Lie she sang "Just gonna stand here and watch Bieber" Instead of "Watch me burn" LOL It really does sound like she says Bieber, and when you are crazy about the guy you WILL hear it in that part. LOL
  • Cberg9
    Cberg9 Posts: 123
    When I was a kid, I always thought that the lyrics "secret agent man" was "secret asian man". I always imagined some really handsome asian man in a suit doing spy stuff. I was a strange child.

Well I was a strange child as well...
  • Cberg9
    Cberg9 Posts: 123
    On the way to the beach with a girlfriend of mine, back when nickelback was cool.....(if ever) we were listening to their song this is how you remind me.....She belts out...."tired of livin' like a black man"
    I just stared at her with my jaw dropped and told her it was a BLIND man! We couldnt stop laughing and I tease her about it years later.
  • Grimmerick
    Grimmerick Posts: 3,342 Member
    when my brother and I were kids my mom and dad lived close to my grandma (moms mother) and my grandma had a grocery list on the fridge and told my dad to add anything they needed her to pick up for us (I was a newborn at the time) So my dad being the *kitten* that he is lol wrote *kitten* on there and my grandma got the list and went to my mom and asked what a *kitten* was haha she was going to go to the store and ask where they kept them she thought it was some baby thing for me haha. .... my mom was pissed. Not exactly on topic but still hilarious
  • FitnessDoll87
    FitnessDoll87 Posts: 45 Member
    Coming from parents who didn't really speak English....I messed a bunch of stuff up...

Up until college I said "I was passing the vacuum" when I was vacuuming. Got some funny looks for that.

In 6th grade I got into a heated debate with my best friend because I thought it was "reNember" instead of remember....and I really thought she was wrong....she still brings that up ....

I seriously said sanGwich instead of sandwich for the longest time.

And a bunch of other things that I can't think of right now...
  • FitnessDoll87
    FitnessDoll87 Posts: 45 Member
    On the way to the beach with a girlfriend of mine, back when nickelback was cool.....(if ever) we were listening to their song this is how you remind me.....She belts out...."tired of livin' like a black man"
    I just stared at her with my jaw dropped and told her it was a BLIND man! We couldnt stop laughing and I tease her about it years later.

Holy crap! LMFAO!!!
  • Ali_TSO
    Ali_TSO Posts: 1,172 Member
    I just thought of one! My husband thinks that when soda loses its carbonation, it no longer has caffeine, lol.
  • jmruef
    jmruef Posts: 824 Member
    For myself:
    AMiNal instead of animal.
    caPILLaries instead of CAPillaries (glad I figured that one out before I started working in health care...)
    Fatty-goo instead of fatigue.

My college roommate wrote "innocent bystandards" instead of "innocent bystanders." I still tease her about that.
  • Hey! You! Get off of my PLOW! --Rolling Stones

Also, my husband to this day insists the sheriff on The Andy Griffith Show was named Barney FIVE - like Adam 12!
  • jenbit
    jenbit Posts: 4,252 Member
    It took me hours to convince my ex it was In a Godda Da Vida and not In the garden of Eden lol

Actually it was SUPPOSSED to be In the garden of Eden but the singer was to F'ed up to pronounce it right and they ended up keeping it that way.... Love that song
  • aochoa123
    aochoa123 Posts: 299 Member
    Tea Bagging....

They all looked at me wide-eyed, embarrassed. I continued...
    "Oh come on! I used to do that with my friends years ago" - and so the conversation went.
    I left it at a that, and it was not until later that night at a party that somebody advised me of my mistake.

I WAS APPALLED!

That is so funny, your son will never live that one down. :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

How bad is this -- I've never heard of this, so I actually had to Google It. YIKES. I'm never doing THAT again -- wait, GOOGLING it, not DOING it. :blushing: Whew.

I'm just gonna shut up now. :huh:

Ok I have no idea what this means and I am not about to google it or ask my child. I guess I'll just be in the dark.
  • Churble
    Churble Posts: 85 Member

In 6th grade I got into a heated debate with my best friend because I thought it was "reNember" instead of remember....and I really thought she was wrong....she still brings that up ....

My son is 9, I cannot get him to say "remember", he only says "renember". He also occasionally says he did something wrong because he couldn't "retrol" himself.