Steak....bad?

Options

Replies

• jadedone
    jadedone Posts: 2,449 Member
    Options
    Go grass fed if you can. Grassfed beef is lower in saturated fat and higher in omega-3s.
  • hpsnickers1
    hpsnickers1 Posts: 2,783 Member
    Options
    We've moved away from fat-bad, low-fat-good diet recommendations but saturated fat is still widely considered to be bad for your heart and red meat has a lot of saturated fat. It also has a lot of good stuff too though so I find it hard to consider it something you should never eat. Who knows...it's hard to keep up with the recommendations.

Saturated fat is only bad for you in the presence of carbohydrates (This makes ice cream one of the worst treats out there). Most of the fat on our body is stored as saturated. Saturated fat is in breast milk. The saturated fats in coconut oil and grass-fed/finished butter are more likely to be used as energy and less likely to be stored as fat (MCTs).

I use this analogy. Think about and egg. That embryo will become a baby chicken and that baby doesn't have mama's nutrition to help it become a baby chicken. And what are the main components in an egg? Protein, cholesterol, and saturated fat. The three most important building blocks for life. No wonder the egg is the perfect health food.
    Nature is not stupid.
    Vitamins A, E, D & K are all fat-soluble vitamins. You must have fat for your body to absorb them.
    I eat red meat almost every day. I do eat meat and/or fish/shellfish every day. I eat eggs almost every morning.
  • _SusieQ_
    _SusieQ_ Posts: 2,964 Member
    Options
    Do you guys like thick steak, or thin-cut steak?
    I like my steak thick...

Thick, medium rare but with a slight char
  • _SusieQ_
    _SusieQ_ Posts: 2,964 Member
    Options
    And really, quoting Dr. Oz doesn't mean a lot. To me Dr. Oz is a doctor kind of like Dr. Seuss or Dr. J are doctors....
  • eve7166
    eve7166 Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    we have steak every 3 to 6 months and only reason why isbecause it takes for ever to digest and it rots in your insides before it does!!!! how gross is that
    You're getting steak and gum mixed up and if you break a mirror you have seven years bad luck unless you throw a salt shaker at somebody

LMAO! I love red meat... If it stayed in me for that long I would never be hungry again (id be full of ....)
  • infamousmk
    infamousmk Posts: 6,033 Member
    Options
    And really, quoting Dr. Oz doesn't mean a lot. To me Dr. Oz is a doctor kind of like Dr. Seuss or Dr. J are doctors....

Or like how Captain Kangaroo probably never actually drove a ship.
  • jamie1888
    jamie1888 Posts: 1,704 Member
    Options
    I HIGHLY suggest that all my fellow steak lovers try a Chimichurri Sauce with your steak (or carne asada or flank, etc)....

1/4 cup fresh chopped cilantro
    1/4 cup fresh copped parsley
    1tbl fresh chopped oregano OR 1/2 tsp dried
    1/2 jalapeno (the more seeds, the hotter the flavor) OR 1/2 tsp cayenne pepper
    1tbl olive oil
    2tbl apple cider vinegar
    1/2 garlic clove
    salt to taste

blend in magic bullet or food processor!

YUM!!!!
  • MissO﹠A
    MissO﹠A Posts: 906 Member
    Options

I think Seuss was better at doctoring. His quotes are certainly more entertaining and believable anyway: "“Sometimes the questions are complicated and the answers are simple.”

If you like steak, eat it.
  • dwtouch4
    Options
    I HIGHLY suggest that all my fellow steak lovers try a Chimichurri Sauce with your steak (or carne asada or flank, etc)....

1tbl olive oil
    2tbl apple cider vinegar
    1/2 garlic clove
    salt to taste

YUM!!!!

That does sound good
  • EmpressOfJudgment
    EmpressOfJudgment Posts: 1,162 Member
    Options

Or like how Captain Kangaroo probably never actually drove a ship.
    What?! That's blasphemy. Next you're going to tell me that the trolley that went through Mister Rogers living room didn't really go to the Land of Make-Believe. I won't hear of it!
  • Pocket_Pixi
    Pocket_Pixi Posts: 1,167 Member
    Options

I bet I would lose more weight if I ate my meals in a box with a fox... than following Dr. Oz...
  • bobbyhalifax
    bobbyhalifax Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Is it strange that I don't like steak?
  • VoodooLuLu
    VoodooLuLu Posts: 636 Member
    Options
    i will never and i mean never ever give up steak!!!! ever!!!!!
  • mhotch
    mhotch Posts: 901 Member
    Options

No, I don't either. Have you tried Bison? Tastes better than steak, more protein, and less fat and calories. But unfortunately, hard to find, and very pricey.
  • Captain_Tightpants
    Captain_Tightpants Posts: 2,215 Member
    Options

There are support groups for that sort of thing. I implore you to seek help soon.
  • BlueObsidian
    BlueObsidian Posts: 297 Member
    Options

That depends. How do you feel about bacon?
  • jadedone
    Options
    Filet Migon is only steak i eat...is this bad?:embarassed:

This is one of the leanests cuts. So eat up in the proper portion size.
  • jadedone
    Options

1tbl olive oil
    2tbl apple cider vinegar
    1/2 garlic clove
    salt to taste

YUM!!!!

Oh yeah! I am a chimichurri addict. Great on chicken, fish and shrimp too.

You can definitely change up the recipe: use all parsley. Sub lemon juice for the vinegar. Use crushed red peppers instead of fresh ones. Add capers instead of salt. I make it whenever i have extra herbs.
  • robinogue
    robinogue Posts: 1,117 Member
    Options
    I eat steak, I love it! Have it with mushrooms, grilled onions & garlic. Healthy, probably not but I adjust my meals to make sure I'm within my calorie allowance.
  • robot_potato
    robot_potato Posts: 1,535 Member
    Options
    Everything is bad if you have too much of it. Stick to the proper portion and don't have it too often, you'll be fine.