Steak....bad?

Options

Replies

• Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options

Saturated fat is only bad for you in the presence of carbohydrates (This makes ice cream one of the worst treats out there). Most of the fat on our body is stored as saturated. Saturated fat is in breast milk. The saturated fats in coconut oil and grass-fed/finished butter are more likely to be used as energy and less likely to be stored as fat (MCTs).

I know you didn't just say ice cream is one of the worst things out there. Care to substantiate your claim that sat fats are only bad in the presence of carbs or are you making things up?
  • chrisdavey
    chrisdavey Posts: 9,834 Member
    Options
    If Beef steak was cheaper, I'd eat it more often. But I have kangaroo steaks all the time.
  • aippolito1
    aippolito1 Posts: 4,894 Member
    Options
    because of fat. i mostly eat sirloin anyway which isn't as fatty. it just depends on the cut of steak.
  • Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,554 Member
    Options
    Steak is fabulous tasting, but let's be honest.
    It's just not 100% healthy.
    So, what to do?
    My choice is to have the steak one time weekly.

I need those foods or else it's just not worth the effort.

I'm curious about your statement that steak isn't 100% healthy. What do you see as the problem?
  • katiebythebay
    katiebythebay Posts: 611 Member
    Options
    I have been counting cals and fancied steak for tea, so had some, yummy....I was within my cals for the day , why is steak considered so bad.......

Protein is hardly ever bad for you, but cut the fat off first. Low in calories, high in protein is a good way to go!

~katie
  • nahralynn
    nahralynn Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    We always used steak as our celebration meal (birthdays etc). We always just bought a good one which is cheaper than going out usually anyway. Cooking a steak yourself isn't that hard plus the portions you get in restaurants are usually really large when, like others have said, a serving is like 3-4 oz and a restaurant steak can be double if not triple that size .. yet people don't think about that and eat the whole steak! MODERATION is all things is key :)
  • Contrarian
    Contrarian Posts: 8,138 Member
    Options
    And really, quoting Dr. Oz doesn't mean a lot. To me Dr. Oz is a doctor kind of like Dr. Seuss or Dr. J are doctors....

Or like Chef Boyardee is a chef...
  • Alicia_Monique
    Alicia_Monique Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    mmm I love steak! Who said it's bad?!

I personally like sirloins. With no steak sauce. Medium rare.

mmmm steak!
  • SergeantSunshine_reused
    Options

Saturated fat is only bad for you in the presence of carbohydrates (This makes ice cream one of the worst treats out there). Most of the fat on our body is stored as saturated. Saturated fat is in breast milk. The saturated fats in coconut oil and grass-fed/finished butter are more likely to be used as energy and less likely to be stored as fat (MCTs).

I know you didn't just say ice cream is one of the worst things out there. Care to substantiate your claim that sat fats are only bad in the presence of carbs or are you making things up?

Carbs... where?!?! RUN!

Haha I like eye of round steak a lot, and eat beef 3-4 nights out of the week currently. Nothing wrong with that!
  • solpwr
    solpwr Posts: 1,039 Member
    Options
    And really, quoting Dr. Oz doesn't mean a lot. To me Dr. Oz is a doctor kind of like Dr. Seuss or Dr. J are doctors....

Or like Chef Boyardee is a chef...

HOLD IT,,?!?

Chef Boy R Dee is not a Chef? Wasn't he in Ratatouille?
  • gp79
    gp79 Posts: 1,799 Member
    Options
    Some straight up nonsense here.
  • BuckeyeBabe10
    BuckeyeBabe10 Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    mmmm...steak....haha. Yeah, I could never give up steak...but I'd certainly opt for leaner meats if you're going to eat it.

I'm a big fan of flank steak and it's fantastic cold on a salad if you have some leftover from the night before. I'm also obsessed with filet mignon, but luckily I'm incredibly picky with not having any fat on my meat (I had the texture, taste and chewing it in my mouth).

I think it all comes down to smart choices on what cuts to eat and keeping it in moderation. Try and eat balanced (veggies, fruits, carbs, protein, etc.) and I think a little steak here and there can't hurt too much.
  • pearsy67
    pearsy67 Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    First real thread I can get into. When I was young I always ordered my steak Rare, thinking that since it takes the shortest time to cook, it will come out quicker.
    Later I figured out that they just start cooking it later so it all comes at the same time. buggar :-(
    But I still order it Rare because it is good that way. :tongue:

Steak_Levels.jpg
  • mcoscia
    mcoscia Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Eat grass fed!! It is higher in Omega 3 than conventional steak, so good for you!!
  • PaleoPath4Lyfe
    PaleoPath4Lyfe Posts: 3,161 Member
    Options
    what? steak is bad? I think it gets a bad rap when someone is a "meat and potatoes" person who literally eats red meat almost every day. we probably only have beef once every 2 to 3 weeks. Enjoy it.

What would be the negative effects of eating read meat 5x per week?

I don't have any negative effects from eating red meat 4-5 times per week. Grass fed sirloin, ground chuck, chuck roast, ribeyes and flank steak.

In fact, I lose better eating beef and fish over any other type of protein......, with the exception of eggs.

My cholesterol, HDL and LDL are all well with in the normal ranges.
  • PaleoPath4Lyfe
    PaleoPath4Lyfe Posts: 3,161 Member
    Options
    Some straight up nonsense here.

There always is.
  • MrsC0617
    Options
    LOVE steak! I agree, it's fine in moderation. it does have some "bad" things in it, but it is protein and very satisfying!! enjoy a good steak now and then. :wink:
  • whtlatina1214
    whtlatina1214 Posts: 765 Member
    Options
    what is grass fed???
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 10,021 Member
    Options
    what is grass fed???
    It's what beef cattle are suppose to eat.