Couch to 5k Group - Starting Monday April 13th

Options

Replies

• amymeenieminymo
    amymeenieminymo Posts: 2,394 Member
    Options
    This morning's run sucked, but I ran it anyways. Bleh. I kinda feel like I'm going to be stuck at week 3 forever, my endurance is terrible. There's no reason I shouldn't be able to jog for longer than 3 minutes without feeling like death.

I only just started, but maybe I can offer a few tips. Do you have good running shoes? I got good running shoes recently and they make a world of difference. Are you concentrating on the time too much? I know if I am constantly thinking, "how much time do I have left", it just makes the time drag and I get soooo tired. Try thinking about what you are doing to do later, gets lost in your thoughts.

Are you thinking about your form? If your body is tense and your hands are balled up into fists, I would imagine that would tire you out quicker than if you have a relaxed, loose posture. Hope these help, but then again I am only on week one day three tomorrow. Hopefully I'll even be able to get to week 3.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,100 Member
    Options
    Here's a great article I ran across while updating my "links"

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/31887-running-for-weight-loss-slow-down
  • SatelliteCrush80
    SatelliteCrush80 Posts: 3,575 Member
    Options
    Week 8 Day 2 in the books! Today I ran in the rain and it was great. I don't even like going to the grocery store in the rain, so that was pretty awesome!
  • jimswmn
    jimswmn Posts: 1,350 Member
    Options
    Week 8 Day 2 in the books! Today I ran in the rain and it was great. I don't even like going to the grocery store in the rain, so that was pretty awesome!

Shuntae, 28 minutes and rain...:laugh: No Problem. Keep up the good work.
  • LosingIt4good
    LosingIt4good Posts: 1,214 Member
    Options
    Week 4, Day 2 completed.

Tired legs, but I'll survive :happy:
  • jimswmn
    Options
    Week 4, Day 2 completed.

Tired legs, but I'll survive :happy:

Halfway there...keep going:wink:
  • msarro
    msarro Posts: 2,748 Member
    Options
    Week 3 down, again. I think I figured out what I was doing wrong - I was trying to go too fast. Today I limited myself to jogging just faster than a walk and it worked out really well. I actually ran an additional minute just to be able to know I can do it. I think the time for week 4 has arrived.

<- nervous as heck
  • chrissyh
    chrissyh Posts: 8,235 Member
    Options
    I started this, this week - I have finished day 1 and 2 or week one....today with be day 3....

Looking ahead is a bit scary but I am proud each day that I finish and will take it one day at a time...
  • msarro
    Options
    I started this, this week - I have finished day 1 and 2 or week one....today with be day 3....

Looking ahead is a bit scary but I am proud each day that I finish and will take it one day at a time...

You can do it! All you can do is take it step by step. Repeat a week if you feel you need to. It's more important that you get out there and do something and be comfortable. That's the cool thing about this program :smile:

Just remember to pace yourself and don't give up.
  • jimswmn
    Options
    Week 3 down, again. I think I figured out what I was doing wrong - I was trying to go too fast. Today I limited myself to jogging just faster than a walk and it worked out really well. I actually ran an additional minute just to be able to know I can do it. I think the time for week 4 has arrived.

<- nervous as heck

Don't be nervous, just go with it. Listen to music and enjoy!
  • jimswmn
    Options

Yes looking ahead is scary. I psyched myself out all the time, but when you get there you'll be able to do it. Good Luck!
  • msarro
    Options
    Where have ya'll gone???
    Was going to do week 4 day 1 this morning, however the housemate and I didn't get in until late last night, and honestly both of us were too tired to run it. So we're going this evening. Here's hoping its nice out :)
  • chrissyh
    Options
    I finished week one - moving on to week 2 today....YAY! So far so good!
  • msarro
    Options

Awesome! I'm proud of you!
    Week 4 day 1 is in the bag for me :) Way easier than I thought it would be. Just all a matter of pacing myself!
  • chrissyh
    Options
    Day one of week 2 done!! And that was after a 50 minute strength class - WHEW!

Gotta love sweatin!

Curious - are you all doing the time or the distance?

How fast are you jogging - just wondering - I've been jogging at 5-5.2 and walking at 3.6-3.8
  • Tri_Dad
    Tri_Dad Posts: 1,465
    Options

Awesome! I'm proud of you!
    Week 4 day 1 is in the bag for me :) Way easier than I thought it would be. Just all a matter of pacing myself!

Awesome job on week 4 day one! It's amazing how much stronger you get week to week. and BTW grats on the 100 pound mark that is such a huge milestone!

:drinker:
  • Tri_Dad
    Tri_Dad Posts: 1,465
    Options
    Well folks as of tonight week 8 is done. On to week 9. Man that went by fast. If I am feeling up to it I am going to get day one in tommorow. I have my first race in June and for once I am actually feeling I might be ready! lol

• msarro
    Options
    I'm going for the time right now. I figure once I have the time down, I can start working on speed, and that'll lead to distance.

I am basically jogging just a touch faster than walking speed, because now as of week 4 I'm almost at the point where I can sort of just hover there and not get that tired. It's an awesome feeling. If you start to get tired, go slower. It took me this long to really learn how to pace myself.
  • jimswmn
    Options
    Well folks as of tonight week 8 is done. On to week 9. Man that went by fast. If I am feeling up to it I am going to get day one in tommorow. I have my first race in June and for once I am actually feeling I might be ready! lol

Time flies when you are having fun. Great job Batman:drinker:
  • LosingIt4good
    LosingIt4good Posts: 1,214 Member
    Options
    Tried something new today instead of my normal routine. I finished week 4 last week, but didnt feel at the end of the week that I was ready to move to week 5. I was still struggling with running that 2nd 5 minute interval and not feeling exhausted. I didnt run yesterday because my legs were too sore from working in the garden over the weekend. I was short on time to make it to the gym and the weather was nice, so this morning I plugged in the week 4 and went for my run outside instead of at the gym.

I am sooooooo happy I did!! It was a very easy run. Much easier than at the gym and I even ran uphill a couple times! When I was done I felt that I could have done more and realized that running outside made the workout go alot faster than when I go to the gym and do it on the treadmill. So, from now on Im gonna do my training around the neighborhood and save the gym for doing weights or if the weather is crummy.

Just wanted to share my revelation. Im gonna do one more interval at week 4 on Thursday outside since its supposed to be good weather, then Monday Im moving on to week 5. :happy: