Couch to 5k Group - Starting Monday April 13th

Options

Replies

• SatelliteCrush80
    SatelliteCrush80 Posts: 3,575 Member
    Options
    Tried something new today instead of my normal routine. I finished week 4 last week, but didnt feel at the end of the week that I was ready to move to week 5. I was still struggling with running that 2nd 5 minute interval and not feeling exhausted. I didnt run yesterday because my legs were too sore from working in the garden over the weekend. I was short on time to make it to the gym and the weather was nice, so this morning I plugged in the week 4 and went for my run outside instead of at the gym.

I am sooooooo happy I did!! It was a very easy run. Much easier than at the gym and I even ran uphill a couple times! When I was done I felt that I could have done more and realized that running outside made the workout go alot faster than when I go to the gym and do it on the treadmill. So, from now on Im gonna do my training around the neighborhood and save the gym for doing weights or if the weather is crummy.

Just wanted to share my revelation. Im gonna do one more interval at week 4 on Thursday outside since its supposed to be good weather, then Monday Im moving on to week 5. :happy:

That's awesome...I felt the same way the first time I ventured outside to run. So much nicer than the treadmill!
  • SatelliteCrush80
    Options
    Week 9 Day 1...almost there, kids!
  • Tri_Dad
    Tri_Dad Posts: 1,465
    Options
    Week 9 Day 1...almost there, kids!
    Me too!

Way to go lady!
    Looks like we are running side by side on this one!

:drinker:
  • msarro
    msarro Posts: 2,748 Member
    Options
    Week 4 day 2 in the books. Since I've started to get a better feeling for my pacing, I'm doing awesome. I actually think I stand a chance in week 5! :laugh:

Going to be repeating the run this evening because a) running has become extremely enjoyable for me to the point where I actually want to do it daily, and b) my housemate was too tired to run, and I was too awake to sleep so I went by myself. He still needs to get his run in.
  • jimswmn
    jimswmn Posts: 1,350 Member
    Options
    Tried something new today instead of my normal routine. I finished week 4 last week, but didnt feel at the end of the week that I was ready to move to week 5. I was still struggling with running that 2nd 5 minute interval and not feeling exhausted. I didnt run yesterday because my legs were too sore from working in the garden over the weekend. I was short on time to make it to the gym and the weather was nice, so this morning I plugged in the week 4 and went for my run outside instead of at the gym.

I am sooooooo happy I did!! It was a very easy run. Much easier than at the gym and I even ran uphill a couple times! When I was done I felt that I could have done more and realized that running outside made the workout go alot faster than when I go to the gym and do it on the treadmill. So, from now on Im gonna do my training around the neighborhood and save the gym for doing weights or if the weather is crummy.

Just wanted to share my revelation. Im gonna do one more interval at week 4 on Thursday outside since its supposed to be good weather, then Monday Im moving on to week 5. :happy:

I can't run on a treadmill, I feel like a hamster.:laugh:
  • jimswmn
    Options
    WTG Shuntae and Andrew!!
  • chrissyh
    chrissyh Posts: 8,235 Member
    Options
    Finished week 2 day 3 - guess that means I can move to week 3 - YAY!!! Moving right along....
  • msarro
    Options
    Finished week 2 day 3 - guess that means I can move to week 3 - YAY!!! Moving right along....

Good luck! By the way, I missed your earlier question about pace... I'm not entirely sure what my pace is to be honest. I know averaging it between jogging and walking it comes out to around 13.5minutes/mile which is a little over 4mph. Not sure what it'll be without the walking :laugh:
  • chrissyh
    Options
    Just curious if I am really slow....oh well if I am it'll only keep getting better!
  • jimswmn
    Options
    Just curious if I am really slow....oh well if I am it'll only keep getting better!

Work on endurance first, then you can work on speed.
  • SatelliteCrush80
    Options
    Week 9 Day 2 down...one more day!

Did about 2.6 miles in 30 minutes...went on the treadmill because it looked like bad weather was coming. Whoo hoo!

Happy running everyone!
  • msarro
    Options

Did about 2.6 miles in 30 minutes...went on the treadmill because it looked like bad weather was coming. Whoo hoo!

Happy running everyone!

That's awesome!!!!!! You can totally do it. Let us know how your last run goes! When you're done with this, any big plans? Start training for a 10k? lol

I just finished week 4 day 3, and we even threw in some hills for good measure. I'm gonna run it one more time tomorrow, and then take off sunday to freshen up for week 5 on monday. I'm actually excited... this week was a 100%+ improvement over last week. I honestly didn't get out of breath once, which is pretty awesome considering I was dying in week 3. It's all about pace and relaxing :smile:
  • chrissyh
    Options

Happy running everyone!

That's awesome!!!!!! You can totally do it. Let us know how your last run goes! When you're done with this, any big plans? Start training for a 10k? lol

I just finished week 4 day 3, and we even threw in some hills for good measure. I'm gonna run it one more time tomorrow, and then take off sunday to freshen up for week 5 on monday. I'm actually excited... this week was a 100%+ improvement over last week. I honestly didn't get out of breath once, which is pretty awesome considering I was dying in week 3. It's all about pace and relaxing :smile:

oh no - if you were dying in week 3 - I am very scared - I am starting week 3 today....
  • SatelliteCrush80
    Options

Happy running everyone!

After I'm done with this, I'm just going to keep adding a few minutes to my run each week; like maybe I will do 33 minutes next week. There's a 5K I want to run at the end of June, so I feel like my endurance will be good enough at that point to make it through the whole thing.

Congrats on finding your pace...sometimes that can be the hardest part, but once you get in the zone you are golden. :bigsmile:
  • msarro
    Options
    Morning run got pushed off to this evening. It was rediculously cold out, and after hiking yesterday i was honestly too exhausted to wake up on time. :laugh:
  • LandBsdotingchauffeur
    Options
    Just wanted to chime in....Last year on May 25th, 2008 I started the couch to 5k program and LOVED it!!! Did a few 5k's and yesterday finished my first half marathon--all thanks to this program! So stick it out! You all are doing great! :)
  • chrissyh
    Options
    Welcome newcombers...I was a late add on two...
    finished day 2 week 3 today....it's going great!
  • msarro
    Options
    Just wanted to chime in....Last year on May 25th, 2008 I started the couch to 5k program and LOVED it!!! Did a few 5k's and yesterday finished my first half marathon--all thanks to this program! So stick it out! You all are doing great! :)

Week 5 day one in the bag! I actually kind of feel like I'm ahead of the curve now... I'm excited for wednesday because I think the 8 minutes might actually get me huffing and puffing a little.

If I make it through to friday, I may start doing the 20 minute run on my off days so I can get myself used to a 5 day schedule.
  • JudyZ
    JudyZ Posts: 23
    Options
    Hi everyone! I started on the couch to 5K plan a year or two ago. I've never been a runner. I think it all stems back to my failed attempt to join the track team in junior high. That was like...um...30 year ago! :laugh:

Anyway, for the past year or two I've been an occasional runner, but around one month ago a friend asked me to do a 1/2 marathon in Philadelphia in September. So, since then, I've been running 3 times a week. I run a 3.3 mile loop around my house, and it has a lot of hills. So, needless to say, I walk part of that 3.3 miles.

I have been extending the amount of time I run...or should I say...slow jog. And last Monday, I tackled the biggest hill on the run!

I'm improving! :smile:

Judy
  • SatelliteCrush80
    Options
    Today was my first run as a C25K graduate, and I made it for a whole 34 minutes!