Tanning - Yay or Nay?

Options
12345679»

Replies

• gnrduff1
    gnrduff1 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I don't do it. Prefer the girl not to do it, but since she can't get the milky goth/rock girl look going, I guess it's okay that she tans.
  • iuew
    iuew Posts: 624 Member
    Options
    haven't really tanned much since i bodyboarded every summer as a teenager. i liked it then, but the potential for wrinkles keeps me from doing it as an adult. generally wear sunblock when i walk during spring / summer / fall.
  • lynnmarie60
    Options
    Tanning can cause skin cancer; been proven in my family.
  • lawmama_
    lawmama_ Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    Nope. SPF 100 everywhere I go.

yup!!!!!!! cancer? wrinkles? premature aging? NO WAY!!!!!!
  • ShmoozyQ
    ShmoozyQ Posts: 390 Member
    Options
    Nay. I'm pale, that's OK.
  • Being2befit
    Being2befit Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    Spray,tan :) oh yeaaaa!!,
  • RDalton84
    Options
    I am just curious, for all those that are adamently against tanning how many smoke or drink alcohol on a regular basis? I figure everyone has their vice. I personally really enjoy tanning, but I do not smoke and I very very very rarely drink alcohol. I actually wrote a research paper for one of my college classes on this particular subject, and while this may not be the case for everyone, what most research found was that people that developed skin cancer after using a tanning bed had also experienced a very severe burn in the early childhood (before the age of 6 I believe) and that the risk of cancer came from the severe burn more than the use of the tanning bed. I am almost 30 and I have used tanning beds every year since I was 16, usually for about 2-3 months and I don't feel that I look old by any means, actually I think I look young for my age. It seems like every decade we come up with something new that's going to kill us. Right now it's tanning, maybe in 10 or 15 years it will be discovered that long term cell phone use is killing everyone, think that will stop people?
  • Jain
    Jain Posts: 861 Member
    Options
    No, no a thousand time no!

I'm a fare skinned redhead, so tanning is just about impossible. All I get is burned.
  • GoldenGirl1979
    GoldenGirl1979 Posts: 716 Member
    Options
    i love, love, love the way my skin looks in the summer when it's been kissed by the sun!! but i've never gone to a salon or anything... just the beach :wink:
  • Alma_Sana
    Alma_Sana Posts: 453 Member
    Options
    Nay unless natural or it's spray tan. No UV Lamp tans. Too many young people die of cancer.
  • messyinthekitchen
    messyinthekitchen Posts: 662 Member
    Options
    Nay, We should try our best to love our natural selves. We spend so much time taking care of ourselves, why does the skin just pass on by. I understand it has its benefits but the negatives outweigh the positives. I will pass on the skin cancer, and the pre mature wrinkling, and do my best with what I've got.
  • NeedANewFocus
    NeedANewFocus Posts: 898 Member
    Options
    can someone explain spray tanning to me? does it absorb through the skin? How long does it last? how does it compare to laying under UV rays or tanning on a beach? I've just never undrestood spray tan
  • messyinthekitchen
    Options
    I am just curious, for all those that are adamently against tanning how many smoke or drink alcohol on a regular basis? I figure everyone has their vice. I personally really enjoy tanning, but I do not smoke and I very very very rarely drink alcohol. I actually wrote a research paper for one of my college classes on this particular subject, and while this may not be the case for everyone, what most research found was that people that developed skin cancer after using a tanning bed had also experienced a very severe burn in the early childhood (before the age of 6 I believe) and that the risk of cancer came from the severe burn more than the use of the tanning bed. I am almost 30 and I have used tanning beds every year since I was 16, usually for about 2-3 months and I don't feel that I look old by any means, actually I think I look young for my age. It seems like every decade we come up with something new that's going to kill us. Right now it's tanning, maybe in 10 or 15 years it will be discovered that long term cell phone use is killing everyone, think that will stop people?

I'd like to know how they can determine weather it was the burn as a child or the tanning bed as an adult that caused skin cancer. Regardless of your findings it is still proven tanning beds cause cancer.. Why risk it? Yes many people have their vices as you have said, however many do no involve the sames risks that tanning does. My 40 year old Aunt died from Melanoma, from the tanning bed. May I add she looked closer to 60. You using the tanning beds 2-3 months out of the year is a far cry from these teenagers and women and men in their early twenties, using it 12 months a year every other day. Tanning can become an addition. Unfortunately the statistics are there to prove it kills along side smoking. We live once, I don't understand why people take the risk of shortening the little time we have here.
  • messyinthekitchen
    Options
    can someone explain spray tanning to me? does it absorb through the skin? How long does it last? how does it compare to laying under UV rays or tanning on a beach? I've just never undrestood spray tan

I can't imagine that it is any good. And I am sure our skin absorbs the product.