Have you seen the ocean?

Options

Replies

• christine24t
    christine24t Posts: 6,063 Member
    Options
    Nope never seen it. Farthest south I've been is Arkansas, farthest east is Chicago, farthest west is Yellowstone.
    OMG you yanks are crazy. I can't believe you don't travel to the bloody edges of your own country at least! Most people saying they've only seen the Atlantic, Pacific or Gulf if any. Travel abroad, broaden your horizons people!

It's different here - America is huge, whereas everywhere in Europe you are relatively close to the ocean.

Lived in Scotland for a year. While there, a friend told me a story.

His son was flying from London to New York. He called a friend living in Los Angeles concerned about the Brit coming to a foreign country and wondered if his friend in LA would meet his plane. The friend in LA responded, "You meet him. You are closer." From Edinburgh to New York City is closer than from Los Angeles to New York.

The bombing during WW2 of Germany to London never made any sense growing up. How could Germany bomb a country so far away? I grew up in Seattle. Again, the distance from Seattle to San Francisco is further than from Berlin to London.

Having travelled to Europe a number of times, growing up in Seattle, and going to school outside New York, I do believe in world travel. But, the United States is large. And, a flight from the West Coast (where I live now) to Europe takes 16 hours and $1,500. That is a minimum of a 10 day vacation. Then, you need the spending and lodging money on top. Nope, I can see why many Americans have never seen the ocean, let alone any part of a foreign country.

Yeah that's really true. My parents always said too that they had to make decisions between expensive family trips and trying to pay their mortgage ahead of schedule like they wanted to. Unfortunately we couldn't afford both, and seeing as how you are right that plane trips are expensive and gas is expensive, it wasn't a possibility for us to go on trips unless they were local. My family could spend a week at the lake for a 1000 dollars but if we wanted to fly anywhere it would've been a 1000 a person!!
  • plushkitten
    plushkitten Posts: 547 Member
    Options
    Yeah, I can see out of my window right now.
  • ishallnotwant
    ishallnotwant Posts: 1,210 Member
    Options
    We live about 45 minutes from the Pacific, used to live in Florida near the Atlantic, and have been to the Gulf of Mexico. I love the ocean. :heart:
  • serendipity22
    serendipity22 Posts: 248 Member
    Options
    I've seen the Atlantic and the Pacific several times. I hope to see the Indian Ocean soon.
  • luvmybaby333
    Options
    I lived for most of my childhood on an island. My children, however, have never seen the ocean. I'd love to visit the ocean with them someday (soon?), but I'd never want to live next to the ocean again. I like being surrounded by solid land on all sides, thank you very much.
  • DaughterOfTheMostHighKing
    Options
    :) I live in Hawaii and see it every day! :)
  • Ireshgurl
    Options
    I've always lived near the ocean.... no more than 10 mins at the most. Now I live on an island and I'm surrounded by it.
  • hellonheels88
    hellonheels88 Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    I'm sitting in Nebraska....hating all of you within a glance, walk, or short drive to the beach. :grumble:

I have been to Myrtle Beach (stung by a jelly fish), Virginia Beach, Pensacola Beach and Panama City Beach (Florida), some beach in California (I was only 3 months old), beach in Biloxi (Mississippi), WaiKiKi Beach (Hawaii - gorgeous but too many people), Ritidian Beach (Guam), and my ALL TIME FAVORITE: Tarague Beach (Guam! - secluded...usually void of any people...amazingly gorgeous) :love: :love:

I absolutely LOVE the ocean and cannot wait to get out of Nebraska and live somewhere closer to the water. In a year I will live within a two hour drive to the beach.... :love:
  • luvmybaby333
    Options
    :) I live in Hawaii and see it every day! :)

Which island? :smile:
  • cms6300
    cms6300 Posts: 163
    Options
    Spent 6 straight summers in Dewey Beach, DE. Not a bad way to spend a summer.
  • Wendi_S
    Wendi_S Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    Grew up living 50 feet from the ocean and spending every weekend boating on the ocean. Even now I am less than 30 minutes from the beach and spend every second that I can there. Winter, spring, summer, fall.
  • nicehormones
    nicehormones Posts: 503 Member
    Options
    You lucky duck. I love the ocean. It's my favorite place in the whole world. I wish I had the money to live near it.
  • MrsR0SE
    MrsR0SE Posts: 341 Member
    Options
    Sorry - Ireland is in the way so I can't see an ocean, but I do see the sea every morning when I look out of the window :)
  • TeeferTiger
    TeeferTiger Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    I see the sea all the time what with living on the North Wales coast :smile: Got the best of everything here (apart from shops...) rolling green hills, mountains, beaches, rivers...
  • elcyclista
    Options
    I love the ocean, but tropical oceans aren't so nice during hurricane season. XD pretty scary
  • itsanot
    itsanot Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    At least once a year I trek to the ocean, I need it. I love it. It completely refreshes me like no place else I have ever been! I the the outer banks of NC! Takes me about 5 hours to get there but worth every minute. My ticker picture is the view from the cottage we rent!
  • dawnh1968
    dawnh1968 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Hiya!

Im living in Swindon too - know what you mean about being so far from the sea, especially as Weston is our most local beach and you can hardly have a paddle there can you?!

Dawn :smile:
  • CouchSpud
    CouchSpud Posts: 557 Member
    Options
    I live on an island ^^ seen the channel and the ocean... prefer the ocean though
  • TourThePast
    TourThePast Posts: 1,753 Member
    Options
    Weston is our most local beach and you can hardly have a paddle there can you?!
    You can if you're also into hiking. :bigsmile:
  • Katie0174
    Katie0174 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I've never seen the ocean :( I can't even imagine a time when I will get to; I was supposed to this year but that didn't end up happening and I can't see a good opportunity like that coming again any time soon.
    I live in Ontario, Canada and if I wanted to see any ocean I'd have to drive for days and I definitely don't have enough money to travel...anywhere! lol.

I'm sure if I ever get the chance, I'll never want to leave :)