Have you seen the ocean?

Options
spennato
spennato Posts: 360 Member
I live an hour and a half from the ocean, I am just curious if there is anyone out there who has never seen it?

Replies

• onionjuggler
    Options
    I've seen a couple, but I'd guess about 90% of my students have never seen the ocean. Most of them don't know how to swim, either (and they aren't young-- all in their 20s).
  • lookslikeyoda
    lookslikeyoda Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    I live on the coast, It's so great being out with the sea :)
  • Buddhasmiracle
    Buddhasmiracle Posts: 925 Member
    Options
    Yes, I live off the coast of Charleston, SC on an island. I walk nearly every day on the beach. It's beautiful. Very different from the New England coast where I grew up, which was also beautiful
  • dubw
    dubw Posts: 429
    Options
    About 30 minutes to the beach ... wouldn't live here if I didn't love it.
  • KimmieBrie
    KimmieBrie Posts: 825 Member
    Options
    I can't imagine never seeing the ocean... I love it. I live a 1 minute walk from the beach, ran it last night. Love love the ocean!! The sound... the smell... :heart:
  • pinuplove
    pinuplove Posts: 12,874 Member
    Options
    I've been to the Gulf, Atlantic, Pacific, and Caribbean Sea :smile: We live many hours from the coast, but my oldest could have been born on the sea. His first experience with it was the Caribbean, at 5 years old, and was rolling in with the waves in no time. I fully expect him to move to a coast when he's grown :indifferent:
  • FlyByJuly
    FlyByJuly Posts: 564 Member
    Options
    I live 80 miles from the coast. Love it! Once when I was there, I met a man who had traveled from Kansas just to see the ocean, because he'd never seen it. He was overwhelmed by it. He said that he never knew such beauty existed, and said he could just stand in that one spot forever, listening to the waves. He had SO many questions! After talking for a while, I told him "You can't travel all the way from Kansas to Oregon, to see the Pacific, without taking part in it!" I told him "get your feet wet, jump the waves, taste the salty water, write your name in the sand!" Within minutes, I swear he'd gone from being in his mid-20s to being a young boy, running up and down the beach, getting soaked, and shouting into the wind! It was a fun day.
  • fitnoflab
    Options
    Still remember the first time I saw the ocean. I was 4 and I'm 30 now. The minute I moved from my parents place at 19 I moved to Florida. I live by the ocean in California now. Clearly it left a lasting impression.
  • skylark94
    skylark94 Posts: 2,036 Member
    Options
    I live on a mile wide barrier island that sits between the Indian River and the Atlantic Ocean. I can hear the surf when my windows are open and my cars are continually covered in a layer of salty mist. I love it here!
  • VTXJOCKEY
    VTXJOCKEY Posts: 362 Member
    Options
    Every day.
  • Begood03
    Begood03 Posts: 1,261 Member
    Options
    I have been in the Atlantic, Pacific, Gulf of Mexico, and all of the Great Lakes.
  • RDalton84
    Options
    I live 80 miles from the coast. Love it! Once when I was there, I met a man who had traveled from Kansas just to see the ocean, because he'd never seen it. He was overwhelmed by it. He said that he never knew such beauty existed, and said he could just stand in that one spot forever, listening to the waves. He had SO many questions! After talking for a while, I told him "You can't travel all the way from Kansas to Oregon, to see the Pacific, without taking part in it!" I told him "get your feet wet, jump the waves, taste the salty water, write your name in the sand!" Within minutes, I swear he'd gone from being in his mid-20s to being a young boy, running up and down the beach, getting soaked, and shouting into the wind! It was a fun day.

For those of us in the midwest it is something unimaginable! I saw the ocean for the first time when I was 16 and went to visit a friend of mine in Florida, but I have lived in KS my entire life and all we have here is rolling prairie land and wheat fields lol. I love to LOOK at the ocean but don't really care to get in the ocean. I prefer to know what I am swimming with lol
  • PepeGreggerton
    PepeGreggerton Posts: 986 Member
    Options
    I miss the ocean
  • bluegirl10
    bluegirl10 Posts: 695 Member
    Options
    Born and raised in Hawaii so yes saw it everyday... Now I live about an hour from the ocean.
  • MaddameKat
    MaddameKat Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    Now do you mean the Sea? or Ocean?

I have seen Seas but never an Ocean.
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    I live an hour and a half from the ocean, I am just curious if there is anyone out there who has never seen it?

I can see it from my office (Atlantic Ocean). My office building is right on the water front. I have lived within 20 min of the ocean for most of my life.
  • Sh1tsRainbows
    Sh1tsRainbows Posts: 1,227 Member
    Options
    I have been in the Atlantic, Pacific, Gulf of Mexico, and all of the Great Lakes.

Great Lakes are oceans??
  • learningtolove
    learningtolove Posts: 288 Member
    Options
    I live in Halifax Nova Scotia- Canada. I grew up in a "coastal community". My best friends house was directly across from the ocean,they had to evacuate all the time when the sea level rose.
  • djssteffen1
    Options
    I live a few hours from teh geogrpahic center of the USA. Don't see much ocean here !
  • JDviant
    JDviant Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    15 minutes away, more of less.