Have you seen the ocean?

Options

Replies

• KayakAngel
    KayakAngel Posts: 397 Member
    Options
    I love the ocean. My favorite beach is Folly Beach near Charleston, SC. The waves are big, and there are some incredible places to kayak along the coast, out to the lighthouse on Morris Island, and around the marshes, and I LOVE the dolphins and how they come up to look at you. I plan to retire there, and I have a "screw it all" plan that would involve me quitting my job, selling it all, and moving there. :)
  • brittanyjeanxo
    brittanyjeanxo Posts: 1,831 Member
    Options
    Hm. I grew up in Florida and now live in Connecticut, guess I kind of forgot there were people out there who have never had the pleasure! The things we take for granted...
  • PantalaNagaPampa
    PantalaNagaPampa Posts: 1,031 Member
    Options
    OK.. so I grew up in Virginia, not far from Virginia Beach, and grand parents lived in Orlando, so got plenty of ocean time as a kid.
    Joined the military at 18 and have been all around the world, to include Hawai and the Persian Gulf, so lots of ocean there. After the Army, lived in Norcal/Northbay, so lots of ocean there too. Now I live in San Antonio, so there is the gulf, when we make it there. Also have been to the carribean, and bahama so lots of ocean there. Was even stationed in Panama directly across form the Panama canal, pretty cool when you can drive from the atlantic ocean to the pascific ocean.... shore to shore... during your lunch break... well, a long lunch....
  • sinistertitan
    sinistertitan Posts: 603 Member
    Options
    Seen the Atlantic a looong time ago, but I've seen the Pacific from every state on the west coast, Costa Rica and Hawaii. Beautiful in it's own way from every locale
  • jnance82
    jnance82 Posts: 149
    Options
    I have seen the Atlantic Ocean tons of times (I live in Maryland). I have seen the Pacific Ocean once on my honeymoon. I've also seen the Mediterranean Sea when I went to Spain in high school and the Caribbean Sea when I went to Cancun.

10502719.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter
  • Begood03
    Begood03 Posts: 1,261 Member
    Options
    I have been in the Atlantic, Pacific, Gulf of Mexico, and all of the Great Lakes.

Great Lakes are oceans??
    Kinda, they are small fresh water oceans. lol
  • 519harley
    519harley Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    I am so fortunate to live about 15 minutes from the ocean. I try to walk at the beach just about every weekend. I Love it!!
  • mermx
    mermx Posts: 976
    Options
    About 50 yards away ;-)
  • jefarrell
    Options
    If you only live an hour and a half away...get your butt there!!! I live an hour away and go weekly during the summer. I live in New England but have been all up and down the east coast, Gulf Coast, West Coast including Hawaii. There is nothing more peaceful than the ocean. Day or night.
  • Kany
    Kany Posts: 336
    Options
    I'm 1 minute walk from the beach and yet I haven't gone swimming or relaxing at the beach for over 10 years.
  • kstep88
    kstep88 Posts: 403 Member
    Options
    I lived in Monterey, CA for 2 years... It was wonderful.

I also lived in other parts and got to see it often.

I miss it so much!
  • BAMFMeredith
    BAMFMeredith Posts: 2,829 Member
    Options
    I'm SO jealous of everyone who lives near the ocean. The closest to me is the Gulf of Mexico (TX coast is about a 4 hour drive from Austin), but I have family on the east coast so I've been to the beach in Maryland several times, California coast a couple times, Baja Mexico once too...I LOVE the beach!

We go on an annual beach trip here to Port Aransas, TX...just a cute little beach town, nothing crazy :)
  • vxjammiedodgerxv
    vxjammiedodgerxv Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    I'm about a 10 minute walk from the sea, the solent, between portsmouth and the isle of wight. It's lovely! :smile:
  • fbmandy55
    fbmandy55 Posts: 5,263 Member
    Options
    Just a few times. Wasn't a big fan anytime- my family in RI loves it but the water is nasty, freezing and filled with seasweed. The Atlantic Florida/ Georgia and Gulf side of Florida have never amused me much. I DO like tanning on a warm sandy beach though.

I'm more of a lake and woods kind of person. :tongue:
  • ATT949
    ATT949 Posts: 1,245 Member
    Options
    I live an hour and a half from the ocean, I am just curious if there is anyone out there who has never seen it?

"seen it"?

I was born and raised in Bermuda. One of the reasons I moved to the US after graduating from college is that I got sick of it. We lived on top of a hill (big home) but you could still smell the salt water in the air during winter storms.

After 8 years in the Army (not the Navy!), I've lived in Colorado, New Mexico, and Texas. Now I live in SoCal and I visit the ocean about once a month. It's cold, wet, and goes splash, splash. No thanks. :-)
  • TourThePast
    TourThePast Posts: 1,753 Member
    Options
    I've seen a couple, but I'd guess about 90% of my students have never seen the ocean. Most of them don't know how to swim, either (and they aren't young-- all in their 20s).
    How bizarre, to me that's like hearing that most of your students in their 20s haven't bothered to learn to walk yet!

I guess if they ever fall into a lake or pond or river they'll just drown...

I've seen the North Sea, Irish Sea, English Channel, Atlantic Ocean, Labrador Sea & Gulf of St Lawrence, Mediterranean Sea, Black Sea, Balearic Sea, Red Sea & Gulf of Aqaba, Alboran Sea, Marmara Sea, Caspian Sea & Laccadive Sea, though I haven't swum in all of them. :)
  • christina0089
    christina0089 Posts: 709 Member
    Options
    keywestbeaches.jpg

I live in Key West, Fl. and this is a 3-5 min drive from anywhere on the Island.
  • lilojoke
    lilojoke Posts: 427 Member
    Options
    Atlantic Ocean in Portugal when I visit. You can see it from anywhere on the island you live in!
  • california_peach
    california_peach Posts: 1,858 Member
    Options
    I've seen the Atlantic and the Pacific, but I've always live within a days drive of the ocean.
  • Fred77
    Fred77 Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    I've seen the wild Atlantic ocean crashing onto Ireland, I grew up in Ireland in house a few yards from the sea, after bad storms we would have seaweed all over the garden! i've been whale watching in the Arctic Ocean