Have you seen the ocean?

Options

Replies

• mezzofanti
    Options
    I've never seen the ocean proper, but I've been to the Gulf of Mexico several times.
  • psiren28
    psiren28 Posts: 530 Member
    Options
    I can see it right now, this is the view from my terrace (Atlantic ocean)

IM000820.jpg
  • maab_connor
    maab_connor Posts: 3,927 Member
    Options
    atlantic a lot - live on the east coast - and i've also seen it from the other side and above. pacific, unfortunately only from above, but i plan on changing this.

i jog three times a week in a park that is ON the chesapeake bay, it's an awesome place. and another park just down the road is where we go swimming a lot in the summer. the bay is awesome.
  • LifeOnMars_
    LifeOnMars_ Posts: 755 Member
    Options
    I live on the coast so I see it daily. I have a rocky beach across the street from my house and a nice view from my sunroom and deck. Couldn't imagine ever moving away from it. ;)
  • KimmieBrie
    KimmieBrie Posts: 825 Member
    Options
    OMG you yanks are crazy. I can't believe you don't travel to the bloody edges of your own country at least! Most people saying they've only seen the Atlantic, Pacific or Gulf if any. Travel abroad, broaden your horizons people!

Ha - you do realize to go from the east coast to west coast here is a further flight than flying out to the UK from the US east coast right?
  • newfieborn
    Options
    This post makes me want to drop everything and go now, play, collect shells, swim. I've seen the Indian and Atlantic oceans but really want to see the Pacific. Every night I go to sleep to a recording of sounds of the ocean. I'm about 2 hours from the sea in the UK but right in the centre, far from the coast. I think after this post I'll be daydreaming for the rest of the day...

I hope you are not serious about being ONLY 2 hrs from the coast (maybe, you are talking about the North Sea rather than the Ocean). The UK is really small when you compare it to Canada or US. It is nothing for me to drive 15 - 20 hrs to reach the coast. It is worth the drive.
  • ironanimal
    ironanimal Posts: 5,922 Member
    Options
    This post makes me want to drop everything and go now, play, collect shells, swim. I've seen the Indian and Atlantic oceans but really want to see the Pacific. Every night I go to sleep to a recording of sounds of the ocean. I'm about 2 hours from the sea in the UK but right in the centre, far from the coast. I think after this post I'll be daydreaming for the rest of the day...

I hope you are not serious about being ONLY 2 hrs from the coast (maybe, you are talking about the North Sea rather than the Ocean). The UK is really small when you compare it to Canada or US. It is nothing for me to drive 15 - 20 hrs to reach the coast. It is worth the drive.

I live in southeast London and I'm only 45 mins or so from the coast. It's a small country with major motorways linked to most of the coastal resorts, so travelling to the coast is fairly simple.
  • parys1
    parys1 Posts: 2,072 Member
    Options
    OMG you yanks are crazy. I can't believe you don't travel to the bloody edges of your own country at least! Most people saying they've only seen the Atlantic, Pacific or Gulf if any. Travel abroad, broaden your horizons people!

It's not just Americans who've not been able to "broaden their horizons". I live in Alberta, Canada. It is close to a 20hr drive to get to the Pacific, and days to drive to the Atlantic. It is hugely expensive to fly to the east coast of Canada from where I live. I've been lucky enough to be able to get to the west coast on a regular basis, and have gone once to the Mediterranean. I dearly wish to see the beauty that is my nation as well as others but travel is a luxury not all can afford. Until I can, I will be an "armchair traveller".
  • btdublin
    btdublin Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    Ha I knew that would stir up some *kitten*. Sorry to all the Americans. I know you have a vast and beautiful country with a huge array of landscapes, geography and cultures (sort of).

But you are missing out (on the ocean and on travel elsewhere)

While we are playing this game, I have only been to the States a few times but have been to: NYC, NJ, Nova Scotia, Washington DC, Florida, LA, Las Vegas, Nevada, Utah, Colorado, Wyoming, Texas, New Mexico, Arizona. Driving mostly, love travel while I travel!

I do love it but I prefer Canada. Drove Calgary to Vancouver many years ago, skied in Quebec, and then in 2009 flew up to Whitehorse Yukon to take part in the Yukon River Quest - 400 miles nonstop kayak to Dawson City. Epic.

Oh and in terms of oceans I have swum/sailed in all of the major ones (except the Southern Ocean). Backpacked around the Caribbean on my Gap Year by boat. Half crossed the Atlantic by Tall Ship (used to teach on them and race the Tall Ships Race). My goal is to cross the Atlantic by boat. The ultimate experience.

Now live in Dublin so I cycle along the coastline on my way to work. Lovely!
  • WifeNMama
    WifeNMama Posts: 2,876 Member
    Options
    I live an hour and a half from the ocean, I am just curious if there is anyone out there who has never seen it?

Why, is it missing? Hahaha

Ahem. I've seen the South Atlantic and the North Pacific. Love them both. Would go live beside the south Atlantic any day. :-)
  • btdublin
    Options

It's not just Americans who've not been able to "broaden their horizons". I live in Alberta, Canada. It is close to a 20hr drive to get to the Pacific, and days to drive to the Atlantic. It is hugely expensive to fly to the east coast of Canada from where I live. I've been lucky enough to be able to get to the west coast on a regular basis, and have gone once to the Mediterranean. I dearly wish to see the beauty that is my nation as well as others but travel is a luxury not all can afford. Until I can, I will be an "armchair traveller".

Big respect to the Canadians!
  • skylark94
    skylark94 Posts: 2,036 Member
    Options
    I live on a mile wide barrier island that sits between the Indian River and the Atlantic Ocean. I can hear the surf when my windows are open and my cars are continually covered in a layer of salty mist. I love it here!

I'm from Merritt Island (live in WA now). You live in a great spot :-)

I absolutely love it here! The manatees were in a local canal a few days ago and I often see dolphins when I drive over the causeways.
  • parys1
    Options
    Ha I knew that would stir up some *kitten*. Sorry to all the Americans. I know you have a vast and beautiful country with a huge array of landscapes, geography and cultures (sort of).

While we are playing this game, I have only been to the States a few times but have been to: NYC, NJ, Nova Scotia, Washington DC, Florida, LA, Las Vegas, Nevada, Utah, Colorado, Wyoming, Texas, New Mexico, Arizona. Driving mostly, love travel while I travel!

I do love it but I prefer Canada. Drove Calgary to Vancouver many years ago, skied in Quebec, and then in 2009 flew up to Whitehorse Yukon to take part in the Yukon River Quest - 400 miles nonstop kayak to Dawson City. Epic.

Sorry, with the quote thing (I'm on my phone). Just had to mention a quick thing....Nova Scotia is in Canada. :drinker:

Oh and in terms of oceans I have swum/sailed in all of the major ones (except the Southern Ocean). Backpacked around the Caribbean on my Gap Year by boat. Half crossed the Atlantic by Tall Ship (used to teach on them and race the Tall Ships Race). My goal is to cross the Atlantic by boat. The ultimate experience.

• parys1
    Options
    Oops. I completely bungled that quote :blushing:
    My comment is burried somewhere in the middle of it. I'm glad you enjoy Canada and I am jealous of your travels.
  • btdublin
    Options
    Ha sorry yes! Stopped in Halifax by boat!
  • Mirth
    Mirth Posts: 77
    Options
    I've swam in the Pacific and Atlantic oceans.

I've seen the Pacific ocean from the American west coast and Taiwan's east coast.

Edit: For the record I live in Wisconsin. It's at least a two day drive in any direction to hit an ocean.
  • _Timmeh_
    _Timmeh_ Posts: 2,096 Member
    Options
    I've always wondered about people living in landlocked states.
    Grew up in So Cal. so going to the beach was an every weekend thing in the summertime. Camped on the beach a few times a year as well, that is fun! Campfire, the waves in the background with the moon shimmering off the waves...roasting marshmellows. Good times!
    Now we are about 45 miles from the beach.
  • SinIsIn
    SinIsIn Posts: 1,865 Member
    Options
    I live 1 hour from South Padre Island, I never get in the water. LOL
  • newfieborn
    Options

Hope you are NOT including Nova Scotia as a part of the US. I nothing against the US and I love to visit there but we like to be know as a separate country. Yes, we are a part of North America (and proud of it) but not a part of America/US. Thanks
  • karenjoy
    karenjoy Posts: 1,840 Member
    Options
    I live on a tiny island, 12 miles by 26 and so it would be pretty hard to NOT see it