Personal trainer wanting to help:)

Options

Replies

• fittocycle
    fittocycle Posts: 825 Member
    Options
    Thank you, Nate for taking the time to respond! I appreciate it!
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,523 Member
    Options
    What do you think of Crossfit? Will that kind of training be effective in shedding pounds? Or do I need to do supplemental cardio as well?

I actually might upset some people with my answer but crossfit is something i've really looked into and the more I find out the more I dont prefer it. The concept is great, circuit training at max intensity. The problem is they incorporate olympic lifts into the program at high reps. Those kinds of lifts are more 1rep maxs or low reps in general, what happens when they push for really high reps is their form breaks down and injuries occur. Also i've seen more than a few crossfit coachs teaching incorrect form to begin with. Other than the olympic lifts it is a good weight loss program but its difficult for me to look past people being set up for injury. The program is good for endurance but not ideal for strenght and growth of muscle. It would burn a lot of cals, but you need cardio for circulation and general heart health.

Nate
    I agree with your here. Though I will involve max weight with intervals, I don't do them with Olympic lifts. Usually I'll have clients do an isolation free weight exercise then follow up with a body weight exercise in a "superset" kind of fashion, but there is a short break between the 2 exercises. So let's say they do heavy pressdowns, quick rest, then push ups with arms close to the body to target triceps. So many different rotations that can be done.

A.C.E. Certified Personal Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • blondejillie
    blondejillie Posts: 305 Member
    Options
    I would take you up on it, but not sure a Raider can trust a 9er... :bigsmile:
  • sleepy184
    sleepy184 Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    Thanks Nate,
    I'll give the stepper a try and see how that goes. Thanks for taking the time to look at my diary
  • Amber86queenbee
    Options
    Bump - you are so generous :happy:
  • WandaVonDunajew
    WandaVonDunajew Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    Bump for later
  • pstaceyca
    pstaceyca Posts: 306 Member
    Options
    I was working with a trainer for a few months..I lost inches and toned but lost maybe a couple of pounds. I find when I workout really hard my weight doesn't move and I have about 20-25lbs to lose. I was doing a lot of full body exercises and weights. The workout was very intense most of the time. Why is this happening? Would I be better off doing interval training until I get the weight off and then focus on toning after? There was cardio involved in my past workouts as well though. Tell me what you think please. And my diet is good 90% of the time. :)
  • JB5349
    JB5349 Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    bump
  • audreybutler
    audreybutler Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure what to do. I've been training with purpose for about 4 years. Lost 25 lbs initially.....got to 28% body fat. I'm 53, female, now 32%. I've tried carb cycling, fasting, eating tons,.....the weight stays the same! I fluctuate between 163-167. I train for about an hour 6 days a week; strength training followed with cardio sprints and 1-2 steady cardio days/week - spinning, rowing,, treadmill or race walking out doors. Am seeing a naturopath for cortisol test and thyroid (was normal but digging deaper). I'm shooting for 1350 caloires/day. I tried 2 weeks of the Paleo diet - (not too hard as I eat clean). Do you have any ideas?? By the way, a friend started training with me about a year ago and lost 40 lbs! What the heck? I'm getting very frustrated. There are muschles, just can't see them! Ideas?
  • audreybutler
    audreybutler Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Muscles
  • KellyBurton1
    KellyBurton1 Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • DisneyAddictRW
    DisneyAddictRW Posts: 800 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • LouLouUK
    LouLouUK Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    Interesting topics brought up so far... will be following!
  • duetwithjosh
    Options
    Hi Nate,
    I'm a beginning runner. I'm currently running 1 mile a day at a 10 minute mile pace, and roughly once a week doing a 'long run' of 3 miles at the same pace -- so emphasis on the beginner. My question is, what strength exercises should I be doing that would help supplement my running/prevent injuries/improve performance? I already know my core strength isn't where it should be.

Thanks!
  • insyweensy
    insyweensy Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    bump
  • mocha76
    mocha76 Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    bump
  • martymum
    martymum Posts: 413 Member
    Options
    thanks nate.

Have found a fitness routine I like so will stick with that and small adjustments to my food as well
    martyxx
  • vger11
    vger11 Posts: 248
    Options
    awesome of you to offer your expertise...wtg
  • gimmewellness
    gimmewellness Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the help. That's just good Karma right there!! What a good heart you have.