What will you give up for Lent?

Options
Lent begins on 22nd February. I eat a lot of cheese and it is very high in fat as we all know and I am very guilty at adding it to everything and bumping up my fat intake. So I'm going to give up cheese, all types. What are you going to give up?

Replies

• Soapstone
    Soapstone Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    Good thread! For me, the $5 coffee drinks gotta go. I've cut down a lot since I've been here, and I usually get "skinny" versions now, but it's time to let go :)
    Thanks for the reminder!
  • viviennemayer
    Options
    I'm giving up a few things this year. First is swearing, second, smoking and to support the success I'm having with my weight loss, chocolate. It is a biggie on my list and I do ok with keeping it to a minimum but would like to see how much refined sweets I can cut out in all. Good luck this lenten season!
  • clkuchtyn
    clkuchtyn Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    I decided to give up online TV. We decided to nix the cable and so after my daughter goes to bed I like to watch some TV on hulu or sharetv.org. It's a waste of my life! I could be doing so many other productive things. So, I'm going to limit it to 2 hours/week. If I tried to give it up completely I know I'd fail. So this is my compromise.

Good luck to everyone this lent!
  • sttrinians
    sttrinians Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    ScrewyChars-6896657
  • lilyjay_
    Options
    Lent begins on 22nd February. I eat a lot of cheese and it is very high in fat as we all know and I am very guilty at adding it to everything and bumping up my fat intake. So I'm going to give up cheese, all types. What are you going to give up?

I did cheese a few years ago because I ate so much. It was really really hard but I was very pleased with myself for doing it & it made me think differently about eating it so often.

This year I'm between potato and bread - both things I could eat all day, every day so would definitely be a struggle, but what's the point of doing something easy?

If I gave up potato I think I would still have sweet potato... is this cheating? Also if I go for bread, I think I would still have pitta bread & tortilla wraps... What do you think?
  • Holly_Roman_Empire
    Holly_Roman_Empire Posts: 4,440 Member
    Options
    I'm giving up bread. Not just the sandwich kind either! Bread, bagels, tortilla chips, dinner rolls, biscuits, and any other derivative. Not only am I addicted to it, but I figure during Lent the only bread I need is the kind that gets transformed into the Body. :-D
  • sttrinians
    Options
    I think giving up anything is great, and no, I don't think it would be cheating to have sweet potato, or eating pitta and wraps as long as that's your goal from the outset how could it be cheating? ;0 My goal is to just give up something that hampers my weight loss.

I did cheese a few years ago because I ate so much. It was really really hard but I was very pleased with myself for doing it & it made me think differently about eating it so often.

This year I'm between potato and bread - both things I could eat all day, every day so would definitely be a struggle, but what's the point of doing something easy?

If I gave up potato I think I would still have sweet potato... is this cheating? Also if I go for bread, I think I would still have pitta bread & tortilla wraps... What do you think?
  • sttrinians
    Options
    I'm giving up bread. Not just the sandwich kind either! Bread, bagels, tortilla chips, dinner rolls, biscuits, and any other derivative. Not only am I addicted to it, but I figure during Lent the only bread I need is the kind that gets transformed into the Body. :-D

I thought about bread but cheese is my temptation especially living in France. LOL
  • ludogx87
    ludogx87 Posts: 286 Member
    Options
    im going to give up takeaway food /fast food/ eating out for 6 weeks
    and considering i work in a restauraunt at weekends and get free food it will be hard lol xx
  • monkeypantz
    monkeypantz Posts: 288 Member
    Options
    I'm giving up Eating Out & Takeaways & Desserts..... I'm also taking up working out 7 hours a week!!! Hopefully this should all aid my weightloss!
  • BeautyFromPain
    BeautyFromPain Posts: 4,952 Member
    Options
    what is lent? :S
  • krevill
    krevill Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    oh thanks for reminding me. I gave up cheese last year so, this year I am going to give up cheese and bread.
  • swisspea
    swisspea Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    I'm not religious and haven't made a lenten promise since I was 14 or so (back then it was things like pop or ice cream and using bad language :S). This year though, my husband and I have decided that 46 days (I don't believe in "Sunday doesn't count") break from something unhealthy is a good thing, and hopefully it will help to re-train our bodies to not crave these things. I'm giving up chocolate and cheese- and I should mention that I live in Switzerland, so this is no small task!
  • latinabubbles
    Options
    I'm giving up chocolate and swearing. Both biggies for me. I was gonna add in margaritas. But seeing as how I've not had one in months, it wouldn't be much of a sacrifice. Swearing though - is gonna be even bigger than chocolate. Sad isn't it. LOL
  • court182
    court182 Posts: 307
    Options
    I'm giving up weighing myself (which may sound silly, but I SO look forward to my Sunday morning weigh ins) and coffee!
  • chrissiij
    chrissiij Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    The last time I gave up something for lent, I gave up "crap", such as sweets, chocolate and biscuits. This year I am considering giving up, giving up! I will not give up tonining up my body and getting down to my desired weight. Make sense? ;)
  • kellyh2
    Options
    I forgot about lent this year..... must keep up to date just cant believe how quick its come round. Not sure what to give up this year though as everything I would normally give up im eating at a minimum quantity of anyway, maybe bread, thats always a big one for me??? ideas?
  • rdsxgrl28
    rdsxgrl28 Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    Good thread! For me, the $5 coffee drinks gotta go. I've cut down a lot since I've been here, and I usually get "skinny" versions now, but it's time to let go :)
    Thanks for the reminder!

I am doing the same so trying to use up those Starbucks awards points now. I bought for my office this morning, down to just 3 free drinks now. Plus I am also giving up tonic.

What is Lent?

It is the period for Catholics between Ash Wednesday & Holy Thursday .Lent is a time of repentance, fasting and preparation for the coming of Easter. It is a time of self-examination and reflection. In the early church, Lent was a time to prepare new converts for baptism. Today, Christians focus on their relationship with God, often choosing to give up something or volunteering and giving of themselves for others. The forty days represents the time Jesus spent in the wilderness, enduring the temptation of Satan. Sundays in Lent are not counted in the forty days because each Sunday represents a "mini-Easter" celebration of the Jesus' victory over sin and death.
  • court182
    court182 Posts: 307
    Options
    I'm giving up chocolate and swearing. Both biggies for me. I was gonna add in margaritas. But seeing as how I've not had one in months, it wouldn't be much of a sacrifice. Swearing though - is gonna be even bigger than chocolate. Sad isn't it. LOL

I read that at first and thought it said sweating haha!! And I was like "How does one 'give up' sweating?" :P

I've done chocolate for several years as well and it's always so hard for me!!!

Good luck to you ~ and everyone else!!!
  • Floridaboiler
    Floridaboiler Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    I am giving up diet soda.