What will you give up for Lent?

Options

Replies

• Rebecca_Evans1
    Options
    Think it's going to have to be chocolate and crisps for me (particularly Doritos!) this Lent....now therein lies my biggest challenge! Good luck everyone :)
    Feel free to add me if you would like some support & encouragement through Lent and beyond!
    x
  • asgard825
    asgard825 Posts: 1,516 Member
    Options
    Wow-- thanks for the reminder--

-Stopped smoke
    -Very little sugar
    -MFP - no way

Coffee? Wow what effect would that have on the planet :)
  • brandimacleod
    brandimacleod Posts: 368 Member
    Options
    I am giving up anything with artificial sweetener. I truly enjoy my daily (as in all day long) diet drink binge. I consume about 140 ounces a day of artifially sweetened stuff, whether it is Diet Coke, SF Red Bull or Rock Stars and my biggie, Crystal Light. I enjoy it the way a smoker enjoys a cigarette, not because it is necessarily good for me, but because I have that Ahhhhhhh feeling when I am giving in to the craving. I am making the switch to unsweetened ice tea and plain water. I will drive to 7-11 for a super big gulp diet coke as a reward for a good workout, or completing housework, or any other task.

I realize this will also make me read labels more closely since those artificial sweeteners have made their way into everything from yogurt, salad dressings, protien bars and cereals. So my sacrafice may be even more extensive than I think!
  • heavenlyhazel
    heavenlyhazel Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    I have been thinking about this a lot. Looking at my food diary, I have decided to give up sweets...especially candy. I am a sugar-a-holic...so this is going to be very difficult for me. Also, my birthday is during Lent so not being able to have ice cream or cake is going to be hard. Of course, it is during Lent almost every year so I deal with this every year. Last year, a friend of mine (who is a carb-a-holic), gave up ALL carbs. She did awesome! But, she admitted it was a challenge. I also always make sure I do something extra during Lent and this year, I am going to read the Bible. I want to do it at least 5 minutes each day. If I miss some days, I won't beat myself up, but that is my goal...I figure anything I do on this goal is better than what I am doing now.
  • novalh42
    novalh42 Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    Wow, if I could I would give up food all together. Since that is not an option I think I will really, really try to stop swearing and try really hard to stay away from processed food and take away. Good luck to everyone!
  • jcpmoore
    jcpmoore Posts: 796 Member
    Options
    I've been mulling this over for awhile. I gave up beef one year and that was incredibly effective. I have not wanted a fast food burger since-and that was well over a decade ago. I've tried to give up sweets before, but I always end up arguing with myself-do those fiber bars, count? What about the calcium chews? etc. etc. Stupid. But I really don't go overboard on that right now, so not my biggest problem.

I read in one location that it's traditional to give up meat on Fridays during Lent, so I am going to start with that. I am also giving up bread and swearing-thank you Latinobubbles, I really need to work on this!

When I feel a moment of weakness coming on, I'll say a prayer and remember why I am doing this.
  • okerachel
    okerachel Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    I think I will go with sweets this year since that's what I crave most when I'm bored and I am giving up the little cheats on my diet!

I try to add something in too, just in the name of balance. I think this year it will be doing some kind of exercise everyday and logging all my calories (though I will take Sundays off on that one, I need a relaxed day when it comes to eating)
  • cekeys
    cekeys Posts: 397 Member
    Options
    Video Games.

Tomorrow night the wife gets a box to put somewhere for 40 days.
  • thecanface
    thecanface Posts: 1,180 Member
    Options
    oh gosh i am so nervous, but I think it would really be good for me to give up my beloved bread and pasta. :((((
  • RoboLikes
    RoboLikes Posts: 519 Member
    Options
    I don't think I'm giving up anything this year. I think instead for every mile I run, walk, or spin at the gym I'll donate $5. I'm hoping by the end of Lent I have a pretty nice check to give to my local women's shelter.

@thecanface - obsessed with your swimsuit!
  • sttrinians
    sttrinians Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    ScrewyChars-6899182
  • Amazon_Who
    Amazon_Who Posts: 1,092 Member
    Options
    I am giving up soft drinks

Anyone taking something on? I am adding walking regularly.
  • sttrinians
    Options
    I am giving up soft drinks

Anyone taking something on? I am adding walking regularly.

Mmm! food for thought, will have to think what I can do
  • mem1086
    mem1086 Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    I'm giving up soda. I am also giving up 7 hours a week of "free" time and commiting it to working out.
  • kmbhoya2000
    kmbhoya2000 Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    I'm thinking of giving up all white carbs and sweets...I love candy, cupcakes, anything sweet! I was good from when I started MFP on Jan 2 until my birthday Feb 5, then I've been downhill since then, my son's bday was yesterday. But, there are no more bdays, and Lent is here, so it's time to cut it again!!
  • asgard825
    asgard825 Posts: 1,516 Member
    Options
    coffee
  • sttrinians
    Options
    coffee
    difficult one watch out for withdrawal headaches
  • Danpellizzari
    Options
    I think "giving up" puts a negative spin on lent. I try to add something during lent. Like wishing 3 people good morning every day. That way it's positive.
  • tmfpartyof4
    tmfpartyof4 Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    Good thread! For me, the $5 coffee drinks gotta go. I've cut down a lot since I've been here, and I usually get "skinny" versions now, but it's time to let go :)
    Thanks for the reminder!

same here... even the skinny ones are addicting. I gave up SB one lent and Easter after Mass, I went back to SB and loaded up. I have slowed down, but i , too, will be giving up all the "$5" coffees. :drinker:
  • brandimacleod
    brandimacleod Posts: 368 Member
    Options
    I do always add some kind of community service in during Lent, My Priest alswas says it is to better serve others. Perhaps my Priest means for that to be helping people and not animals, but since I love animals, this year I have committed to spending Saturdays at our local Petsmart Adoptions trying to find a home for a wonderful Pit Bull mix named Cassie who lives at the SPCA. Cassie is only a few years old and has some issues because she was left tied up in a back yard, and then surrendered by the owner because she "snapped" at the grandkids. I bet they tormented her becauuse she HATES kids. And she isn't great with other dogs. Its hard to find a home with no kids or dogs, and then people have ideas about Pit Bulls. Sigh! Wish me luck! Cassie is sweet and loving. I would take her if I could (but my house doesnt fit this criteria either). But she has lived at the SPCA since last summer. She deserves better, she deserves a home! So Cassie is my community service during Lent this year. If she gets adopted then I will just pick another dog to take. LOL!