thetiwi1890 Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    All candy, sweets, cookies...
    Basically all nice food
    :drinker:
  • plcarpenter
    plcarpenter Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    I am giving up sugar, well refined sugar not naturally occuring sugar...bascially cookies, sugar in my coffee, candy, pies, cake, eating sugar out of the bag, etc. I am a sugar fiend, and if Jesus can wander the desert fasting for 40 days without temptation well I should give it a try.

For Lent I usually cheat, and "give up" my time and volunteer but this time I'm trying something really hard. My 12 year old gave up chocolate one year, I was blown away at her commitment...she was going to give up TV this year but quickly back peddled on that one.
  • opal24
    opal24 Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    I'm not into any of the religious connotations of Lent, but it seems to me that it's a really good time to practise abstinence from something. Having given up wine and replaced it with diet Coke, it's now the turn of the Coke to hit the road. I'll put a jug of water in the fridge tonight and that will be my drink of choice for the next while.
  • rbeatty63
    Options
    I just finished reading Max Lucado's book "3:16 The Numbers of Hope" and it was so good. A reminder that what I really need to give up are my rights to my self (I must decrease and He must increase) There is a 40 day devotional at the back of the book and I am going to try to spend a portion of each day during Lent reflecting on His love for me and how, although I can never repay Him, I can only accept His perfect gift and let Him govern my actions and my thoughts. If I am more Christ-centric, even my bad eating habits will fall upon the altar of His love.
  • charm_quark
    charm_quark Posts: 316 Member
    Options
    Lent... isn't it this church thing that you have to stay away some days from some particular kind of foods? The Greek orthodox church says about not eating meat, cheese, milk, all kind of dairy products, for 40 days! And the last 7 you also must stay away from oil (any kind!).
    But... I'm not such a believer! :laugh: :laugh:
    So I won't give up anything!!!
    I gave up smoking last year and that's all for me!!!

Also I falled in love the last days with frozen yogurt and I can't stop having one because of a god that I don't know if he exists!!!!:happy: :happy: :happy:
  • Lib_B
    Lib_B Posts: 446 Member
    Options
    Due to lack of weight loss this week - I am giving up hope for Lent...;-(

i don't know if i should lol or go 'awwwwww.' Don't give up hope if that is truly how you are feeling. Plateau's happen. Keep up the work and it will pay off!!!
  • robot_potato
    robot_potato Posts: 1,535 Member
    Options
    I'm giving up my 'special' pants. For 46 days I will not wear the jeans that so nicely squish my fat into nice looking body parts. I will make my belly, butt& thighs look good without the aid of the beloved pants. I'm not so much giving something up as giving something back to myself.
  • mjbrenner
    mjbrenner Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    I don't really get the need that some people have to make snide remarks in a thread about discussing a religious/spiritual/self-betterment practice. It's totally okay that you do not share this particular belief structure with some others on MFP, but why go out of your way to rain on someone else's parade?

I try to both give something up and do something better better for Lent. This year, my abstinence will be from the "little cheats" that occur many days. Hopefully, forty days will be enough to develop the lack of cheating as a habit. For my service, I will try to get a real workout five days each week. I know that my actions are inspirational to those who look up to me, so I should be putting forth my best effort.
  • Lib_B
    Lib_B Posts: 446 Member
    Options
    I think "giving up" puts a negative spin on lent. I try to add something during lent. Like wishing 3 people good morning every day. That way it's positive.

I am not catholic, nor have i ever been, but i thought you were supposed to give up something for baby jesus that you do often so everytime you wanted to do it, it reminded you of him.....or god.....or the devil.....or mary magdeline? I dunno, but I always heard it was you were supposed to give up something
    No, a lot of people mistakenly believe you have to give something up...but you can "add something" instead, such as volunteering or performing other kind or selfless acts instead of forsaking something.

I was raised Catholic (but am not practicing), but this much I do know....

The idea is that you are supposed to sacrifice something as Jesus sacrificed for us. Even if that means flipping it to be positive - it's going out of your way to do something that isn't in your ordinary routine. For example, if you volunteer, you are still sacrificing time. If you give money, you are sacrificing something you could have bought, etc. etc. etc. It's just supposed to be a meditation of sorts to remind us of what was given up for us.
  • purpletrillium
    Options
    I'm giving up taking the elevator at work. My co-workers and I did this last year. We walk up or down the 5 flights of stairs to our office. Anyone caught using the elevator must pay a 25 cent fine. We raised $15 for our Children's hospital last year.
  • rbeatty63
    Options
    I am giving up sugar, well refined sugar not naturally occuring sugar...bascially cookies, sugar in my coffee, candy, pies, cake, eating sugar out of the bag, etc. I am a sugar fiend, and if Jesus can wander the desert fasting for 40 days without temptation well I should give it a try.

For Lent I usually cheat, and "give up" my time and volunteer but this time I'm trying something really hard. My 12 year old gave up chocolate one year, I was blown away at her commitment...she was going to give up TV this year but quickly back peddled on that one.
    I gave up chocolate for a year and what it helped me to do was to say "no" more than "yes" to my chocolate obsession post-fast (I tried giving up sugar for a year, but didn't quite make a year on that! LOL)
  • rbeatty63
    Options
    I don't really get the need that some people have to make snide remarks in a thread about discussing a religious/spiritual/self-betterment practice. It's totally okay that you do not share this particular belief structure with some others on MFP, but why go out of your way to rain on someone else's parade?

I try to both give something up and do something better better for Lent. This year, my abstinence will be from the "little cheats" that occur many days. Hopefully, forty days will be enough to develop the lack of cheating as a habit. For my service, I will try to get a real workout five days each week. I know that my actions are inspirational to those who look up to me, so I should be putting forth my best effort.
    *Like*
  • rbeatty63
    Options
    Well............I gave up smoking last year and I already cut right down on bread as I binge on it and cant stop at one slice, so I think I wil be giving up peanut butter as I could eat the whole jar with a teaspoon given the chance!!! Also thinking biscuits and chocolate, choccy is my other trigger food...but then I wouldnt have any treats at all to look forward to! Roll on pancake day tomorrow...............LOVE IT!
    Is the picture on your ticker a picture of Ailsa Craig?
  • rbeatty63
    Options
    I'm also going to give up all take-out and fast food. On the occasions where I do binge, these tend to be what I choose. They're officially going to be out from and during Lent and hopefully for a long time, except maybe a one off treat from them on.

On the other hand, I may have a take-out tonight as a last supper =D

Actually, I refuse to ruin the progress that I've made today, so I won't!
    Kudos!
  • dumb_blondes_rock
    dumb_blondes_rock Posts: 1,568 Member
    Options
    To the people on here making jokes that you are giving up religion, or some other snide comment... why do you even click on topics like this? Find something that does intrest you, or a better use of your time.

I will be giving up cursing, and will do some type of food as well... but haven't decided what as of yet. Happy Lenten Season to all!

To add to the snide comments, this topic shouldn't even be on here since its about religion.
  • hajenkatt
    hajenkatt Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    im going to give up takeaway food /fast food/ eating out for 6 weeks

Same here. Our whole family is giving it up. It will make my kids more mindful that take out is a treat & not a priviledge.
  • rbeatty63
    Options
    Planing a Daniel fast. Basically vegan, but stricter. No white rice, no white flour, no bread, no dairy, no eggs, only veggies, legumes, fruits and nuts. 1200 cals per day max.
    I'm in awe! You go Kiddo! I always want to try that, but I know I would never stick the committment and to me that is worse than not giving anything up. Proud for you!
  • asgard825
    asgard825 Posts: 1,516 Member
    Options
    I'm giving up taking the elevator at work. My co-workers and I did this last year. We walk up or down the 5 flights of stairs to our office. Anyone caught using the elevator must pay a 25 cent fine. We raised $15 for our Children's hospital last year.

Like this idea
  • sttrinians
    sttrinians Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    One more day to decide. Let me know how you all get on.

As for the people who are making an issue about this being religious don't. I'm sure you all eat pancakes today Shrove Tuesday, a religious festival, it doesn't stop you. This was meant as a bit of motivation for anyone who wanted to join in.
  • eatrunstretch
    eatrunstretch Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    I'm giving up crumbles with clotted cream! Good luck to you all :)