What will you give up for Lent?

Options

Replies

• sttrinians
    sttrinians Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    I'm not religious and haven't made a lenten promise since I was 14 or so (back then it was things like pop or ice cream and using bad language :S). This year though, my husband and I have decided that 46 days (I don't believe in "Sunday doesn't count") break from something unhealthy is a good thing, and hopefully it will help to re-train our bodies to not crave these things. I'm giving up chocolate and cheese- and I should mention that I live in Switzerland, so this is no small task!

I live over the border in France and work in Basel, so I understand completely. Also we have Fastnacht next weekend, lots of Raclette and other tempting goodies
  • franzy
    franzy Posts: 259
    Options
    I'm giving up sweets and beer.... :cry: It's going to be a tough one but have to make the sacrifice... Good luck to you all
  • Ezwoldo
    Ezwoldo Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    I will probably try and do chocolate again but I better get eating as I still go birthday stuff left.
  • Donners185
    Donners185 Posts: 329 Member
    Options
    Biscuits, lemonade and fast food.
  • tangerine81
    Options
    fizzy drinks - even diet ones as i think they really bloat me. (Seltzer/soda/fizzy water is ok) - this is actually something i wouldnt mind doing permanently.

Kettle Chips and anything similar are my total weakness so definitely them. The idea is that i wont go totally nuts over them when lent is up, seriously i could eat 2-3 large bags in one sitting i totally fudging love them. totally!

i need to control my 'treats' so im only going to have chocolate on the weekends and never from a big sharing bag. it will just be one nice thing for me that ive carefully chosen and allowed for in my journal. very often my OH has opened bags of cadbury buttons and mini eggs in the fridge and i will steal a couple everytime i go in there - this is what i need to stamp out, not chocolate all together.
  • Pidders89
    Pidders89 Posts: 1,169 Member
    Options
    mine will be chocolate...i dont know if i can do it but gunna give it a damn good go! lol xx
  • tangerine81
    Options
    im going to give up takeaway food /fast food/ eating out for 6 weeks
    and considering i work in a restauraunt at weekends and get free food it will be hard lol xx

eeek good luck with that. Its a good one to pick but ive got so many hens and weddings coming up id have to totally cancel my social life!!
  • sttrinians
    sttrinians Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    fizzy drinks - even diet ones as i think they really bloat me. (Seltzer/soda/fizzy water is ok) - this is actually something i wouldnt mind doing permanently.

Kettle Chips and anything similar are my total weakness so definitely them. The idea is that i wont go totally nuts over them when lent is up, seriously i could eat 2-3 large bags in one sitting i totally fudging love them. totally!

i need to control my 'treats' so im only going to have chocolate on the weekends and never from a big sharing bag. it will just be one nice thing for me that ive carefully chosen and allowed for in my journal. very often my OH has opened bags of cadbury buttons and mini eggs in the fridge and i will steal a couple everytime i go in there - this is what i need to stamp out, not chocolate all together.

Good luck with that. My husband should give up crisps (English for chips) he's the same as you lol
  • HisMissus
    HisMissus Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    Think I'm going to give up bread for Lent. It's a real downfall of mine. It will motivate me to be a bit more creative than having toast for breakfast and sandwiches for lunch.

Edit - Hubby wants to give up alcohol so going to give that up too.
  • SlinkyPinkyBunsOfSteel
    Options
    I'll be giving up about 2 pounds of fat! :D
    I gave up alcohol on 1st Jan.
  • lilyjay_
    Options
    I think giving up anything is great, and no, I don't think it would be cheating to have sweet potato, or eating pitta and wraps as long as that's your goal from the outset how could it be cheating? ;0 My goal is to just give up something that hampers my weight loss.

Good point! I don't eat pitta or wraps much anyway but I'm trying to get more into eating pitta bread & salad for lunch rather than sandwiches so this will be great for that!

Definitely decided on bread now as my fiance has said he'd like to try giving up bread too (it'll be a lot harder for him than me I think!)

I will really miss toast!
  • spanner200
    spanner200 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I'm considering alcohol. Not really a massive drinker but I do love wine with food and the odd G&T! But not only that they represent those forgotten calories which might help me shred the buldge.

I gave up all sweets and puddings last year which was difficult at first as I was working in a Chalet where puddings were served every night but I managed it.

No point in doing Lent if it isn't a little difficult to do.

The other alternative is bread. Not sure!
  • Alinat305
    Options
    I'm planning on giving up desserts, I love sweets so this will be a challenge for me.:smile:
  • slay0r
    slay0r Posts: 669 Member
    Options
    The hardest would be abstinence :p
  • jelybean43
    jelybean43 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    For some reason I've been eating ice cream lately (i.e. the Weight Watchers bars). Sadly I have intentions to eat just one and then I end up having more than that. I think giving it up for Lent will help push me past my plateau and do somethign for lent at the same time.

Good luck to everyone else!
  • vim_n_vigor
    vim_n_vigor Posts: 4,089 Member
    Options
    coffee
  • grassette
    grassette Posts: 976 Member
    Options
    Planing a Daniel fast. Basically vegan, but stricter. No white rice, no white flour, no bread, no dairy, no eggs, only veggies, legumes, fruits and nuts. 1200 cals per day max.
  • kekl
    kekl Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    I'm giving up sweets. Will be hard because that's my food vice haha.
    I think i'm going to try to give up diet soda too, but if I feel a moment of weakness coming on I will allow myself to grab a diet coke rather than a cupcake. :)
  • Lib_B
    Lib_B Posts: 446 Member
    Options
    I think rather than "give up", I'm going to commit to exercising at least 30 minutes a day. With two small kids (5 yrs and 21 mos), a DH who travels for work, school at night and work during the day, this is no small task!!!
  • kaithenderson
    Options
    im giving up soda and sweets!i was going to give up takeout but mexican is my favorite!