Replies

• meltygarden
    meltygarden Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    I gave up Catholicism for Lent.
  • jenseye
    jenseye Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    I don't think I'm giving up anything this year. I think instead for every mile I run, walk, or spin at the gym I'll donate $5. I'm hoping by the end of Lent I have a pretty nice check to give to my local women's shelter.

@thecanface - obsessed with your swimsuit!

This is a GREAT idea.
    If you don't mind I will borrow your wonderful idea, but I will donate $2.00 for each mile I walk, run or bike to the Atlanta Community Food Bank . (I do alot of miles and as much as I'd like to donate a ton of money I don't think my checkbook can handle $5.00/mile)
    Thanks!!
  • LeanerBeef
    LeanerBeef Posts: 1,432 Member
    Options
    I'm giving my up my Edy's Frozen Coconut bars .....which I eat almost every night.

And alcohol at home. I don't drink that much but I do enjoy a glass or 2 of Scotch occasionally. We don't get out much but have a couple of social events on the schedule for March. We need to take advantage of these nights out when we get them and God is not going mind if I have a few beers. :happy:
  • WanderingMe
    WanderingMe Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    I'm not catholic, so I suppose I will just have a person 40 day challenge....

I'm going to give up beer. We will see how I do. I drink A LOT of beer
  • bitterbrownie
    Options
    i'm not religious and usually don't give anything up. this year, i am considering giving up moaning - in the sense of moaning about pointless things or wasting time doing it because it doesn't help and only makes me feel worse

i don't do it a huge amount but i'd like to give up something that i feel will continue to have an impact after the time period even if i don't keep giving the thing up

another idea was "being bored" - or rather, spending periods of time doing pointless activities when i know i have other things to do xD
  • mymothersthighs
    Options
    I am giving up chocolate AND alcohol! Crazy, I know, but I'm determined to do this!
  • SueD66
    SueD66 Posts: 405 Member
    Options
    so i'm not catholic but i do like the idea of giving up something for a few weeks. I"m going to try the white bread and chocolate. Yep sounds good
  • anne018
    anne018 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I'm giving up bread. Not just the sandwich kind either! Bread, bagels, tortilla chips, dinner rolls, biscuits, and any other derivative. Not only am I addicted to it, but I figure during Lent the only bread I need is the kind that gets transformed into the Body. :-D

I thought about bread but cheese is my temptation especially living in France. LOL

WHAT!!!!! you live in france!! I always wanted to go to france! and for lent im giving up chocolates, pies, cakes, ice cream , candies, white bread, peanut butter (witch is my trigger food) and I am going to go to the gym every day rather than sitting at my computer -.-
  • onefitsurvivor
    onefitsurvivor Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    :happy:
  • onefitsurvivor
    onefitsurvivor Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    ScrewyChars-6903420
  • Brittany39down
    Options
    I am giving up diet soda.... Also, I am making a commitment to go through my closets and anything I can't fit in (and those I do fit in but rarely ever wear) I will donate to a shelter.
  • asudheimer
    asudheimer Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    To the people on here making jokes that you are giving up religion, or some other snide comment... why do you even click on topics like this? Find something that does intrest you, or a better use of your time.

I will be giving up cursing, and will do some type of food as well... but haven't decided what as of yet. Happy Lenten Season to all!
  • mikellsmom
    mikellsmom Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    I am giving up bread
  • auticus
    auticus Posts: 1,051 Member
    Options
    This is inspired by one of the lovely ladies on my profile but it works for me as well. I said not a thing above, but one of the things I *did* give up for lent years ago was religion ;)
  • memcd911
    memcd911 Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    I'm giving up friends who suck at life.

I'd also like to give up cursing. And snarky comments.
  • jilliebk
    jilliebk Posts: 252 Member
    Options
    Chocolate, and cheese, and my negative thinking
  • lizzys
    lizzys Posts: 841 Member
    Options
    no chips for me when dose lent stop
  • CathiAnne
    CathiAnne Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    I stopped thinking in negatives terms about Lent. I've decided to do positive things; i.e., volunteer in the community, eat healthier, drink my water, exercise properly. We can accomplish the same goals by "giving something up." It works better for me if I don't psychologically deprive myself of something but try to do something good.
  • Hellbent_Heidi
    Hellbent_Heidi Posts: 3,669 Member
    Options
    I think "giving up" puts a negative spin on lent. I try to add something during lent. Like wishing 3 people good morning every day. That way it's positive.

I am not catholic, nor have i ever been, but i thought you were supposed to give up something for baby jesus that you do often so everytime you wanted to do it, it reminded you of him.....or god.....or the devil.....or mary magdeline? I dunno, but I always heard it was you were supposed to give up something
    No, a lot of people mistakenly believe you have to give something up...but you can "add something" instead, such as volunteering or performing other kind or selfless acts instead of forsaking something.

I was raised Catholic (but am not practicing), but this much I do know....
  • jeclpi
    jeclpi Posts: 28
    Options
    Due to lack of weight loss this week - I am giving up hope for Lent...;-(