United Airlines - Overweight passengers

Options

Replies

• adopt4
    adopt4 Posts: 970 Member
    Options
    I don't feel bad about them being humiliated. perhaps that will give them the motivation they need to DO SOMETHING ABOUT IT.

.... "but some people are overweight because of their glands"..... "it's not their fault"......"we should treat everyone with respect (regardless of their decision not to respect themselves)"....these are excuses that fat people tell themselves to deal with the continued decision to stay fat. I used to tell myself this kind of crap all the time. even had a doctor test my thyroid to see if it was "not my fault". Know what? It WAS my fault. every food decision I made contributed to the state I was in. It was something I CHOSE. and I had to suffer the consequences of my actions to decide to do something about it.

Wow, you people are seriously, SERIOUSLY judgemental. You don't know the 'fat' person. You don't know if they have cancer or something that made them balloon up with the treatments they were given. You don't know if they just don't "know" what good nutrition is. It's possible they eat 500 cals per day and have no idea why they are gaining weight.

Judging, pointing fingers at a fat person, hell, why don't you laugh hysterically at them while you're at it? Call 'em names while you're at it? I'm SURE that will help them get on the right track - I mean after all, if we had only had people call US names when we were fatter and before we started that journey, it would have made us get right into shape, RIGHT???

While I agree that if a hugely obese person that literally takes up 2 seats should pay for 2 seats, where is the line going to be drawn? I've never had a problem getting the seatbelt to fit - but will I be "above" their guidelines?

In reality this has NOTHING to do with a person taking up 2 seats.... this is about them finding yet another way to milk money out of their customers. You have to pay to check luggage now, in many airlines. The price keeps going up. They might as well charge you per pound of your body weight at this point...

And here's the thing, I've traveled with little kids.. and I"ve had to pay full price for a seat they never sat in because they were in my lap the whole time. How come I didn't get a break if the point was "how much room they take up"?
  • chrissyh
    chrissyh Posts: 8,235 Member
    Options
    I think it is fair. If you go to a restaurant and eat two meals, you get charged for both. By the same right, if you take up two seats you should get charged for both.:wink:

excellent analogy!

totally agree with this!
  • Dave198lbs
    Dave198lbs Posts: 8,810 Member
    Options
    how about those Cubs this year?

I think they could do it this year!!!
  • chrissyh
    Options
    :laugh:

:laugh:
  • magichatter06
    magichatter06 Posts: 3,593 Member
    Options

I don't know, but did you see where the NY lost their game in the new stadium! Yogi threw out the first pitch...didn't know he was still alive :huh:
  • jackeh
    jackeh Posts: 1,515 Member
    Options

mmmmmmm SUBS..... oh wait you said cubs :grumble:
  • Dave198lbs
    Dave198lbs Posts: 8,810 Member
    Options

I don't know, but did you see where the NY lost their game in the new stadium! Yogi threw out the first pitch...didn't know he was still alive :huh:

he's not

he is just one heck of a ball player :laugh:
  • magichatter06
    magichatter06 Posts: 3,593 Member
    Options

he's not

he is just one heck of a ball player :laugh:

haha :laugh:
  • ktthegr8
    ktthegr8 Posts: 479
    Options

mmmmmmm SUBS..... oh wait you said cubs :grumble:

:laugh: :laugh:
  • chrissyh
    Options
    Go Braves! or Red Sox!

We're a multi fan family!
  • LuckyLeprechaun
    LuckyLeprechaun Posts: 6,296 Member
    Options
    I'll do it- :angry:

I have the "O" word in my pocket and I'm not afraid to use it.....
  • Shannon023
    Shannon023 Posts: 14,529 Member
    Options

If they're flying next to me, they better keep their bats on their side of the seat. :angry:

Hijacker!! :explode:
  • 3babybeans
    3babybeans Posts: 8,268 Member
    Options

If they're flying next to me, they better keep their bats on their side of the seat. :angry:

Hijacker!! :explode:

They better keep their bats in their pants! EEK!
  • Phoenix_Rising
    Phoenix_Rising Posts: 11,417 Member
    Options

I still don't know the "O" word!

(Although BabyBeans swears it's this guy)
    optimusprime.jpg
  • 3babybeans
    Options

I still don't know the "O" word!

(Although BabyBeans swears it's this guy)
    optimusprime.jpg

It is. He comes in the dark & kicks the thread's *kitten* until it locks. It's a fact.
  • 3babybeans
    Options
    In reality this has NOTHING to do with a person taking up 2 seats.... this is about them finding yet another way to milk money out of their customers. You have to pay to check luggage now, in many airlines. The price keeps going up. They might as well charge you per pound of your body weight at this point...

And here's the thing, I've traveled with little kids.. and I"ve had to pay full price for a seat they never sat in because they were in my lap the whole time. How come I didn't get a break if the point was "how much room they take up"?

Don't forget that you have to pay even more if your luggage weighs over a certain amount, too. I think we'll get to the point where we just stand on a giant scale with our whole family & all our luggage & pay $2.25 per pound. That would be fun.
  • WillPillageYourVillageForFood
    Options

I think that if you go to the ballgame and take up two seats you should have to pay for them both. Why restrict it to airlines. :laugh:
  • fatstrat
    fatstrat Posts: 216
    Options
    If you're stuck next to someone who obviously cares nothing for the rights of others, just fake PLMD and elbow the %#$ out of them for the entire flight while you pretend to sleep. If they complain, tell them you can't help it and that nobody's rights matter if you have a disability.
  • michlingle
    michlingle Posts: 797 Member
    Options
    I think it is fair but I am concerned that it may add to an already uncomfortable situation for the person requiring more than one seat. I've never needed more than one seat but I imagine it would make me uncomfortable flying if I did need more than one seat.

I wonder if the airline has considered adding a special seat or row of seats on the plane to accomodate passengers who require more than one seat. That way, if I needed more than one seat, I would be comfortable. I mean really even when you raise the armrest there is a tiny space between the two seats. If you decide to sit in the middle of your two seats, you can't use the headrest.

why should the airlines have to accommodate those who have DECIDED to become morbidly obese? They don't have a special smoking section for those who CHOOSE to smoke. they don't have a special hangover section for those who CHOOSE to drink too much. Why should they limit their available sellable space because of the needs of this special interests group? Because someone might be offended in the face of facts? If you cannot fit with the armrests down, if you need more than one extender, you are using more than you paid for. THAT'S not fair.

Who in their right mind would CHOOSE to be morbidly obese? Not me, it's a disorder. I like the idea of adding a couple of rows with bigger seats somewhere else on the plane.
  • fatstrat
    fatstrat Posts: 216
    Options
    In reality this has NOTHING to do with a person taking up 2 seats....

I suppose you have proof of that?
    Who in their right mind would CHOOSE to be morbidly obese? Not me, it's a disorder. I like the idea of adding a couple of rows with bigger seats somewhere else on the plane.

Your wish is granted. If someone you know needs a bigger seat, choose First Class. Ask for it by name, and tell them Mike sent ya.