United Airlines - Overweight passengers

Options

Replies

• arewethereyet
    arewethereyet Posts: 18,702 Member
    Options
    I have a friend who has always had this issue. She flies only on 'off' times and has never had an issue. If you take up 2 seats you should pay for 2 seats (unless the flight is underbooked)

I wanted the full 3 seats when my BFF and I flew to Colorado. We booked our flight on off time for the cheaper fair and less pll on the flight.

We had the full row to ourselves, and there were 3-4 other rows with open seats.

They are getting ready to close up........last minute dude with his expensive briefcase and cologne is walking down the isle......I get migraines from cologne but it had nothing to do with my next move.

As he approached, getting closer and closer............I grabbed the puke bag and WRETCHED.... I mean the sound and violence almost made me really get sick!! I continued as he came down the isle. He made a :embarassed: :frown: :sick: face at me and I coughed........with out covering my mouth. and said loudly to my friend who was laughing so hard, holding it in, I think she peed her pants a little. I said OMG I am so sorry the FLU has caught me on our 5 hr flight!

He def found another seat.

So this is the way Jeannie handles a hard subject. With a story.

Thank you, have a nice day. :flowerforyou:
  • MyaPapaya75
    MyaPapaya75 Posts: 3,143 Member
    Options
    Very interesting topic....I dont think anyone really chooses to be morbidly obese its more of lack of knowledge and information and upbringing...and by the time they understand how important being fit and healthy is they are really way too far and it takes sooooo much to bring them back to a healthy weight and lifestyle......charging more for people that take up 2 seats seems fair...however enforcing it will turn into discrimination cases Im sure.:drinker:
  • czewwhat
    czewwhat Posts: 8,715
    Options
    I have a friend who has always had this issue. She flies only on 'off' times and has never had an issue. If you take up 2 seats you should pay for 2 seats (unless the flight is underbooked)

I wanted the full 3 seats when my BFF and I flew to Colorado. We booked our flight on off time for the cheaper fair and less pll on the flight.

We had the full row to ourselves, and there were 3-4 other rows with open seats.

They are getting ready to close up........last minute dude with his expensive briefcase and cologne is walking down the isle......I get migraines from cologne but it had nothing to do with my next move.

As he approached, getting closer and closer............I grabbed the puke bag and WRETCHED.... I mean the sound and violence almost made me really get sick!! I continued as he came down the isle. He made a :embarassed: :frown: :sick: face at me and I coughed........with out covering my mouth. and said loudly to my friend who was laughing so hard, holding it in, I think she peed her pants a little. I said OMG I am so sorry the FLU has caught me on our 5 hr flight!

He def found another seat.

So this is the way Jeannie handles a hard subject. With a story.

Thank you, have a nice day. :flowerforyou:

There you go, planning to fly in an off time, Booking a flight that there are less people on the plane, a very good solution I think, The suggestion(made by others) that there be a couple of rows of larger seats for the larger passengers would also cause a problem. Didn't the back of the bus get thrown out in the 60's. And as an average size person, why wouldn't I want one of those more spacious seats? Would the attendant tell me sorry but you are not big enough to get the extra space?The airlines are in a lose, lose situation. People who don't want their space invaded are being put upon by those who think it is a matter of being kind to them, the larger people feel taken advantage of by the airlines. At least your solution saves the larger person the humiliation of being forced to buy two seats, and saves the smaller person the pain and discomfort of the Overlapping into their space.
  • havingitall
    havingitall Posts: 3,728 Member
    Options
    Why not charge more for people who are too tall and whose knees push up against the seat ahead of them, infringing on that person's space (been there, hurts to have someone's knees pushed into your back an entire flight) or have to have their knees to the side in order to fit, which also infringes on that person's space?

Or what about having to pay extra to put your seat back so that you're basically in the lap of the person behind you?

Let's be fair about it, and then I"d have no problem with it.

Careful... those are my kness in your back. I have a 36" inseam so my legs are very long. My brother has a 38" inseam. I hate when people recline their seats into my lap.... it hurts so much!!!

I would be willing to pay more for leg room. I was recently on a 5 hour flight and had to get up several times just to stretch out
  • czewwhat
    Options
    Why not charge more for people who are too tall and whose knees push up against the seat ahead of them, infringing on that person's space (been there, hurts to have someone's knees pushed into your back an entire flight) or have to have their knees to the side in order to fit, which also infringes on that person's space?

Or what about having to pay extra to put your seat back so that you're basically in the lap of the person behind you?

Let's be fair about it, and then I"d have no problem with it.

Careful... those are my kness in your back. I have a 36" inseam so my legs are very long. My brother has a 38" inseam. I hate when people recline their seats into my lap.... it hurts so much!!!

I would be willing to pay more for leg room. I was recently on a 5 hour flight and had to get up several times just to stretch out
    The emergency exit row is a bit wider than the other rows, If you talk to the boarding crew they would definately put you in the longer leg room seats for your comfort as well as the comfort of the people whose back might be in your lap so to speak.. I think the paying more is what has so many people upset, but as I said earlier, humans are nothing more than walking cargo, the more cargo the more it cost to ship. It would be truly impossible to predict the changing needs of every flight so the airlines have to choose a profitable "normal" range with which to design its seats and capacity of the planes.
  • havingitall
    Options
    There is not that much more leg room in the emergency exit row despite popular belief. Airplanes are not comfortable.

I think I need my own lear jet.......yeah...that's it
  • czewwhat
    Options
    There is not that much more leg room in the emergency exit row despite popular belief. Airplanes are not comfortable.

Okay the first row of seats behind the Pilots Bulkhead do have more leg room, they usually put wheelchair passengers there first. but with careful booking you could get those seats.

The personal jet sounds good tho, if you have the money!
  • Phoenix_Rising
    Phoenix_Rising Posts: 11,417 Member
    Options
    Airplanes are uncomfortable, period. (At least coach is.)

I like the walking cargo analogy best. You pay for what you bring. If it all fits in one seat, you buy one ticket. If you fill more than one seat, you pay for 2 seats or more. (Minimum purchase requirement of 1 seat. No skinny people discounts :wink: )
  • czewwhat
    Options

I like the walking cargo analogy best. You pay for what you bring. If it all fits in one seat, you buy one ticket. If you fill more than one seat, you pay for 2 seats or more. (Minimum purchase requirement of 1 seat. No skinny people discounts :wink: )

Lauryn threw out the S work! Thinner people don't like that word any more than larger people like the word Fat used to describe them. naughty girl!!!!!! I'm not sure you will find many of them on this site tho.
  • Dave198lbs
    Dave198lbs Posts: 8,810 Member
    Options
    The Cubs are in first place
  • havingitall
    Options

Okay the first row of seats behind the Pilots Bulkhead do have more leg room, they usually put wheelchair passengers there first. but with careful booking you could get those seats.

The personal jet sounds good tho, if you have the money!

Those are good seats. Unfortunately when I travel for business it is usually last minute bookings and the good seats are all taken. *whine whine whine*
  • Phoenix_Rising
    Phoenix_Rising Posts: 11,417 Member
    Options

Lauryn threw out the S work! Thinner people don't like that word any more than larger people like the word Fat used to describe them. naughty girl!!!!!! I'm not sure you will find many of them on this site tho.

Whoops!! haha, did I offend? LOL
  • czewwhat
    Options

How about that private jet for our friend with the long legs, should we all take up a collection?:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
  • Shannon023
    Shannon023 Posts: 14,529 Member
    Options

You should start a thread for people who care. :explode:
  • czewwhat
    Options

Shannon! Dave is loved by all and his humor is sometimes a breath of fresh air in these threads!
    Here is to the Cubs, who probably never sit in coach on cramped airplanes!:drinker: :drinker: :drinker:
  • arewethereyet
    arewethereyet Posts: 18,702 Member
    Options

Shannon! Dave is loved by all and his humor is sometimes a breath of fresh air in these threads!
    Here is to the Cubs, who probably never sit in coach on cramped airplanes!:drinker: :drinker: :drinker:

Really, the cubbies are in 1st place?? I must call my almost DIL and WOOT WOOT with her!!
  • LuckyLeprechaun
    LuckyLeprechaun Posts: 6,296 Member
    Options
    Dave is not loved by all, he makes people mad on a regular basis.

don't get me wrong... I:heart: Dave, even if he rips on Fox News:huh:

But not everybody can handle his no-sugar-coating approach:laugh:
  • LuckyLeprechaun
    LuckyLeprechaun Posts: 6,296 Member
    Options
    or his love for the Cubs
  • kerrilucko
    kerrilucko Posts: 3,852 Member
    Options
    if you take up 2 seats you should have to pay for 2 seats. Otherwise they are losing money- that second seat could have been sold to another passenger. I think it's fair.
  • czewwhat
    Options
    if you take up 2 seats you should have to pay for 2 seats. Otherwise they are losing money- that second seat could have been sold to another passenger. I think it's fair.

Bump!