United Airlines - Overweight passengers

Options

Replies

• Dave198lbs
    Dave198lbs Posts: 8,810 Member
    Options
    In reality this has NOTHING to do with a person taking up 2 seats....

I suppose you have proof of that?
    Who in their right mind would CHOOSE to be morbidly obese? Not me, it's a disorder. I like the idea of adding a couple of rows with bigger seats somewhere else on the plane.

Your wish is granted. If someone you know needs a bigger seat, choose First Class. Ask for it by name, and tell them Mike sent ya.

PROOF?
  • LuckyLeprechaun
    LuckyLeprechaun Posts: 6,296 Member
    Options
    I think it is fair but I am concerned that it may add to an already uncomfortable situation for the person requiring more than one seat. I've never needed more than one seat but I imagine it would make me uncomfortable flying if I did need more than one seat.

I wonder if the airline has considered adding a special seat or row of seats on the plane to accomodate passengers who require more than one seat. That way, if I needed more than one seat, I would be comfortable. I mean really even when you raise the armrest there is a tiny space between the two seats. If you decide to sit in the middle of your two seats, you can't use the headrest.

why should the airlines have to accommodate those who have DECIDED to become morbidly obese? They don't have a special smoking section for those who CHOOSE to smoke. they don't have a special hangover section for those who CHOOSE to drink too much. Why should they limit their available sellable space because of the needs of this special interests group? Because someone might be offended in the face of facts? If you cannot fit with the armrests down, if you need more than one extender, you are using more than you paid for. THAT'S not fair.

Who in their right mind would CHOOSE to be morbidly obese? Not me, it's a disorder. I like the idea of adding a couple of rows with bigger seats somewhere else on the plane.

it's not a disorder. it's a choice what you eat. the outcome is exactly what you chose. as my friend Dr. Phil says, when you choose the behavior, you choose the consequences.

the bigger seats are in an area called FIRST CLASS. as has been mentioned a few times already in the thread.
  • 3babybeans
    3babybeans Posts: 8,268 Member
    Options
    Please remember that if the airlines just make bigger seats in coach, that's fewer regular size seats in coach. Fewer regular size seats in coach = higher prices for all of us.
  • iRun4wine
    iRun4wine Posts: 5,126
    Options
    Does this mean that the little folks who only take half a seat pay half price???? I mean, really!

Even if a tiny person only takes up half of the seat, there is nothing that can be gained from that other "empty" half of seat- no one else can sit in it, the airline cannot make any money off of it. Just like if a person with only one leg went to a shoe store, they have to buy a pair of shoes. There is nothing for the shoe store to gain by charging that person half price and keeping the other shoe.

I don't think there is anything wrong with them charging for two seats. If you're using 2 you should pay for 2 whether it's your "fault" or not.
  • Dave198lbs
    Options
    I have no proof
    but if Ernie Banks could come out of death AND retirement
    the Cubs could actually have a shot....

but if I looked hard on the internet....I would say the proof is in the pudding
  • 3babybeans
    Options
    I have no proof

So you're saying that Bill Cosby should pay for the second seat b/c his pudding pops are what made America fat to begin with? That's what I got out of it at least.
  • Shannon023
    Shannon023 Posts: 14,529 Member
    Options
    I have no proof

:explode:
  • TamTastic
    TamTastic Posts: 19,224 Member
    Options
    I have no proof

:huh:
  • Dave198lbs
    Options
    I have no proof

So you're saying that Bill Cosby should pay for the second seat b/c his pudding pops are what made America fat to begin with? That's what I got out of it at least.

exactamundo!

this is a sharp crowd!
  • Jelybe
    Jelybe Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    fonzie_jumps_the_shark.png
  • Shannon023
    Options

:laugh:

I blame hijacker-Dave. :grumble:
  • Phoenix_Rising
    Phoenix_Rising Posts: 11,417 Member
    Options
    I don't think there is anything wrong with them charging for two seats. If you're using 2 you should pay for 2 whether it's your "fault" or not.

Excellent point. "Fault" is really a moot point in this discussion. (Still fun to debate though! :wink: )
  • Dave198lbs
    Options

I blame hijacker-Dave. :grumble:

Mir gave me bacon if I would do it
    it's her fault actually
  • Shannon023
    Options

Excellent point. "Fault" is really a moot point in this discussion. (Still fun to debate though! :wink: )

This was talk-radio fodder on the way home yesterday, I was hoping for some lively discussion today. :wink:
  • Dave198lbs
    Options
    it takes two seats to tango
  • Phoenix_Rising
    Phoenix_Rising Posts: 11,417 Member
    Options

This was talk-radio fodder on the way home yesterday, I was hoping for some lively discussion today. :wink:

INSTIGATOR!!!! :angry:

:wink:

And as a further edit--- :love:
  • mello
    mello Posts: 817 Member
    Options
    *happy sigh* this place is so fun and interesting.....

1st class
    coach
    bacon
    baseball
    pudding pops

my head is spinning with all the topics in this one thread:laugh:
  • Shannon023
    Options

moi
    Angel+smiley.bmp

I am curious though, for the people who are against this, do you think it would be fair for the people that are being encroached upon to receive special compensation by the airlines???

Just curious. :flowerforyou:
  • Dave198lbs
    Options
    *happy sigh* this place is so fun and interesting.....

1st class
    coach
    bacon
    baseball
    pudding pops

my head is spinning with all the topics in this one thread:laugh:

Shannon is the thread master
  • 3babybeans
    Options

moi
    Angel+smiley.bmp

I am curious though, for the people who are against this, do you think it would be fair for the people that are being encroached upon to receive special compensation by the airlines???

Just curious. :flowerforyou:

Free booze!