This is horrifying...

Options

Replies

• r1ghtpath
    r1ghtpath Posts: 701 Member
    Options
    i'm glad i raise my own chickens :-) it's super easy to raise 25 organic broilers at a time, and end up with 52 chickens in a deep freezer for a years worth, only takes about 20 weeks. not to mention fresh organic eggs daily from layers!
  • alecta337
    alecta337 Posts: 622 Member
    Options
    Honestly, I almost cried when I saw the picture of the brainless chickens. I think I prefer to occasionally eat an expensive, well treated chicken then to eat something like that. Just seems more natural and my gut reaction. I have been vegetarian off and on again, but now only eat poultry occasionally. The last cold I had while a vegetarian was a month long... I haven't been that sick since I lived in my parents house, who were 3 pack a day smokers.
    Anyway, here's another interesting link. I wonder how many people will think more deeply about where their meat comes from when this stuff hits the market: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/In_vitro_meat

If you didn't realize those are fake chicken in the pictures, I think you have some serious things to worry about other than the source of the human population's meat.
  • delilah47
    delilah47 Posts: 1,658
    Options
    B12 is a bacteria. It is in meat because cattle live in dirt, eat dirt, sleep in dirt. And yet - all the antibiotics they are now on kills the B12

Like the song goes... B - O - L - O - G - N - A
    The only antibiotic that will affect B12 is tetracycline. Tetracycline inhibits the absorption of B12. B12 is a water soluble vitamin, not a bacteria.
  • delilah47
    Options
    This is disgusting, that is what it is.

I am all for meat consumption, but it has to be from local farm raised sources. There is NO way in hell that I will ever eat chicken that has been massed produced like some boxed macaroni and cheese. And there is NO way that I will ever eat that cloned meat they are working on right now.

Cloned ground beef is supposed to be released in October or some time this year.

GROSS

I'm not sure about cloning anything for any reason, but certainly cloned beef wouldn't be gross. All they do is use the DNA of a nice fat steer and use it to make several "copies" of that nice fat steer. Sorta like twins.. or as many copies as you want. Then they do AI on a cow who surrogates the fetus. That makes it sound pretty simple, but it's close.
  • snookumss
    snookumss Posts: 1,451 Member
    Options
    How is it horrifying if these 'animals' have no sensory part to their brain? If they feel no pain, why would this be considered inhumane?

Sure, and if this works... let's put some humans on the line too. We could use them for surrogates for our babies and we could all have beautiful bodies! And then we could put some cows on there so they wouldn't have to graze the pastures. And then..... there's a moral boundary here somewhere.

Moral according to who? Also, a human brain is much more complex than a cow's or a chicken's. Not to mention there's already a large percentage of the population that's starving. Making a surrogate to have even more offspring seems counterproductive to what the goal of the original "headless chicken" experiment is.

Everything is greed and appearances. I'm not saying MORE humans. I'm saying women wouldn't have to take time off to have a baby or, in some cases, wreck the appearance of their body. And if someone actually came up with that technology, they would get rich. And.. what difference is it how complicated a brain is.. if it is removed? Just throwing in my 2 cents. Most people who are not psychopaths have a moral boundary.. somewhere.

DID YOU REALLY JUST SAY THEY WOULDN'T HAVE TO WRECK THE APPEARANCE OF THEIR BODY?! Seriously, thats ridiculous. I would vouch to have my own children and look like snaggle toothed wretch afterwards. A new route for cosmetology... don't screw up your body, just have this lab rat partial person have your baby for you! WOOT!
  • jennad8
    Options
    I cant decide how i feel about this. Horrible things are done to these chickens in the first place every day and they can feel every bit of it. The scientist is trying to do good for the chickens by making them incapable of feeling or knowing what is going on around them, but what if this doesn't really work? What if they believe that the chickens cant think or feel but they really are? Imagine being in a coma but hearing and feeling everything around you. It would be horrible if done wrong and no one knows who or what feels what they feel except that one being who is feeling it. We will never get to the point where the entire human population is vegetarian, there will always be inhumane things happening to millions and millions of animals around the world. Could this be a good thing for the chickens? Or a horrible gruesome act carried out by us because we "can" and we are "smarter"?? The world will keep turning and millions will keep eating meat either way. I think this has made me officially done with it though. I personally don't want to be a part of any of it and will probably save a few of these chickens because of it. Or at least ill think that way. Or maybe the amount of chickens I wont be eating will be given to someone hungry :)
  • heresmyinsidevoice
    heresmyinsidevoice Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    One time, a chicken bit me. These new chickens will never do that. I like them.

HA HA HA HA! Hey, they're not suffering. Humans already consume a bunch of crap that doesn't make sense - drinking cow's milk? If you really think about it, that's actually pretty gross, but it doesn't stop me from eating my Corn Flakes in the AM. Unfertilized chicken eggs? Yuck! But hey, I like 'em scrambled. Chickens growing on a mass of tubes and machinery like headless biomechanical KFC? Pass me a plate! :drinker:
  • delilah47
    Options
    How is it horrifying if these 'animals' have no sensory part to their brain? If they feel no pain, why would this be considered inhumane?

Sure, and if this works... let's put some humans on the line too. We could use them for surrogates for our babies and we could all have beautiful bodies! And then we could put some cows on there so they wouldn't have to graze the pastures. And then..... there's a moral boundary here somewhere.

Moral according to who? Also, a human brain is much more complex than a cow's or a chicken's. Not to mention there's already a large percentage of the population that's starving. Making a surrogate to have even more offspring seems counterproductive to what the goal of the original "headless chicken" experiment is.

Everything is greed and appearances. I'm not saying MORE humans. I'm saying women wouldn't have to take time off to have a baby or, in some cases, wreck the appearance of their body. And if someone actually came up with that technology, they would get rich. And.. what difference is it how complicated a brain is.. if it is removed? Just throwing in my 2 cents. Most people who are not psychopaths have a moral boundary.. somewhere.

DID YOU REALLY JUST SAY THEY WOULDN'T HAVE TO WRECK THE APPEARANCE OF THEIR BODY?! Seriously, thats ridiculous. I would vouch to have my own children and look like snaggle toothed wretch afterwards. A new route for cosmetology... don't screw up your body, just have this lab rat partial person have your baby for you! WOOT!

Yes, I said "in some cases". My best friend in high school had a baby and it totally stretched her beautiful body so she had worse excess skin than I have ever seen even in some bariatric surgery weight loss cases. It totally changed her personality and personal comfort. Back in those days they did not remove excess skin. The poor girl could hardly wear clothes after that without extreme discomfort. It changed her life. So yes I would say in her case it did. If you were to ask her she would say you bet yer *kitten* it did. I DID NOT say it wrecks everyone's body so calm down.

And... I was speaking facetiously about the whole brainless cultivation of bodies. sheese!
  • Anomalia
    Anomalia Posts: 506 Member
    Options
    This makes me frown.
  • TheDevastator
    TheDevastator Posts: 1,626 Member
    Options
    B12 is a bacteria. It is in meat because cattle live in dirt, eat dirt, sleep in dirt. And yet - all the antibiotics they are now on kills the B12

Like the song goes... B - O - L - O - G - N - A
    The only antibiotic that will affect B12 is tetracycline. Tetracycline inhibits the absorption of B12. B12 is a water soluble vitamin, not a bacteria.

Any antibiotic can cause stomach and/or intestinal damage that inhibits B12 absorption, because it kills off the good bacteria that helps create or absorb B vitamins.
  • hexrei
    hexrei Posts: 163
    Options
    As weird as it is I can't imagine anyone arguing that it's worse than slaughtering the same number of animals.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    i refuse to eat at Halal restaurants.

This intrigued me. Could you explain why? I don't know much about Halal practices, I'd be interested to know your reasons why you refuse to eat at such establishments.
    I wondered about that. I looked it up and it seems halal is similar to Jewish kosher, which means humane slaughter and of course certain foods (pork, shellfish, etc.) are forbidden.

That statement makes no sense to me.
  • rml_16
    Options
    We dont NEED families of 7-15 kids, why is it still allowed? i say there should be a limit on offspring, and also stop trying to solve aids in africa and start trying to educate the people to not have multiple babies one after another.

sorry if this is very right wing, but thats just who i am.

People like you frighten me.

And that's not right wing. That's Chinese law and China is leftist.

actually im british, in britain, thats considered a right wing view.

i shouldnt frighten you, i dont intend on breeding, who wants to raise any child in the world we will leave behind when we die?

So the Brits think Communism is right wing, then?

I guess if it's all about control and taking away any kind of free will or liberty, it must be right wing. The Soviet Union, Cuba, China -- all right wing. Who knew???

You frighten me not because YOU don't want children but because you think it's perfectly OK to legislate other people's childbearing.
  • PaleoPath4Lyfe
    PaleoPath4Lyfe Posts: 3,161 Member
    Options
    i refuse to eat at Halal restaurants.

This intrigued me. Could you explain why? I don't know much about Halal practices, I'd be interested to know your reasons why you refuse to eat at such establishments.
    I wondered about that. I looked it up and it seems halal is similar to Jewish kosher, which means humane slaughter and of course certain foods (pork, shellfish, etc.) are forbidden.

That statement makes no sense to me.

Yes, me too.
  • rml_16
    Options
    This is disgusting, that is what it is.

I am all for meat consumption, but it has to be from local farm raised sources. There is NO way in hell that I will ever eat chicken that has been massed produced like some boxed macaroni and cheese. And there is NO way that I will ever eat that cloned meat they are working on right now.

Cloned ground beef is supposed to be released in October or some time this year.

GROSS

Do you drink milk? Milk from cloned milk cows was approved by the FDA on January 8, 2008. Many of the large dairy farms have numerous "genetic twins, triplets, quads, quints, etc." (and many more) producing for them.

Completely off topic from the OP's post, but I think it's really weird that people drink milk (I don't drink it, don't like it). We are the only species on EARTH that drink's another animal's milk. Milk is meant for nursing young...why are we drinking it from a cow? We're not baby cows...

But dammit I do love cheese. I try to shop only organic and eat cheese sparingly, but it's delicious.

There is a very long list of things humans do that no other species does. If we start living out lives based on that, well, you wouldn't be on this message board right now, would you?

Well obviously, but I'm not talking about abilities and problem solving skills humans have as opposed to animals, I just think it's really weird that people drink cow's milk...I mean, we don't drink other people's breast milk...

But it's because of our abilities and problem-solving skills that we do things other animals do not, such as flush our waste products into a sewer rather than squatting and burying in the dirt. It's also why we cook our food. No other species cooks its food. Should we eat all raw food? Also, other animals do not combine different foods into yummy recipes. Maybe we're not supposed to do that, either.

The argument that we shouldn't drink milk because other species don't is ridiculous when put into proper context.

Honestly, I always thought drinking cow's milk was weird too. Who was the person that said "Hey, we should drink that" anyway?

Cat's can be trained to use the toilet and flush so I don't think that is an accurate or even relevant metaphor.

Bee's also make honey by mixing together ingredients. And leaf cutter ants don't eat the leaves they cut, they use it to harvest mold and eat the mold. They also use ingredients for this. Also an inaccurate and irrelevant metaphor.

And on the Cooked food topic, while we are the only species that cooks it's food, we are also the only one that needs to because we store meat. Most veggies don't need to be cooked (some are poisonous if not) but when you cook them all of the live enzymes that are good for you die and you also lose most of the essential vitamins and minerals. So cooking food is ridiculous when put into certain context (I’m sure that’s what you meant besides "proper" context).

I'm not trying to pick on your post in particular but if you are going to call someone ridiculous for believing differently then you should at least use accurate information.

There are a lot of things people eat that anyone could say is "weird." Lobster and crab, to name just two. So maybe people shouldn't eat those, either?

If you don't want to drink milk, don't drink milk. I have never been a milk drinker, though I'll use it in recipes or pour it over cereal. The idea of drinking a glass of milk has always kind of turned my stomach. But so has the idea of eating mushrooms. I mean, that's a FUNGUS!!! Oh no! Everyone stop eating mushrooms because *I* don't like them!!!

That's basically my point. People feel this need to argue and put down things others do because they don't do those things themselves. So what? Is it illegal? Are those people committing some heinous crime by drinking milk? No? 'Cause you'd think that was the case based on the reaction people get about doing so.
  • PaleoPath4Lyfe
    PaleoPath4Lyfe Posts: 3,161 Member
    Options

nonsense...

this is why i'm a vegetarian.. facts are, we dont feed 6billion (the number is closer to 7billion btw) people of the world. nearly 15% of the population is considered starving. i am not sure how many are considered mal nourished..there is a difference. many people in the US are malnourished yet overweight. facts are, animal farms, feed lots etc contribute to much of our pollution, clear cutting forests, erosion problems, poor soil quality. Facts are, a vegetarian diet is more sustainable for populations as well as the Earth. humans dont NEED meat to survive. in fact, vegetarian diets (if properly done) are overall healthier than one that incorporates meat.
    6 billion, 7 billion, 8 billion, it doesn't matter. What does matter is the fact that huge population requires protein and yes the best protein comes from meat. It took millions of evolution that involved us being primarily meat eaters. Show me one study stating that "vegetarian diets (if properly done) are overall healthier than one that incorporates meat."

I will wait.

Watch the documentary "Forks over Knives". Tons of studies in there that show eating a vegan (Or vegetarian with very very low dairy) diet is much healthier.

I'll Wait...

Forks over Knives is nothing but propaganda and scare tactics. Pssshhhhh, puleazeeeee.

Right, it’s really scary to be cured of chronic illnesses. And there is a lot of money to be made when people grow their own food. That is your opinion and you are entitled to it, but it provided scientific research and I'm going to choose to go with that then your opinion. Also the response was to someone asking for such a study.

If it scared you then maybe you missed the point. It wasn't to completely eliminate animal products from meals (though that is an option) but just that we as a society eat too much meat and animal protein. Aside from the numerous extensive and detailed studies in that documentary (though biased toward the view of the documentary) there are many other studies that show the benefits of a vegetarian/vegan lifestyle.

Back on the OP's subject, regardless of your diet I think this is horrifying and a gross abomination and abuse of the power we have over animals. This is purely for profit and utterly disgusting.

The whole vegetarian and vegan "lifestyle" / cult is nothing but propaganda and not based on any REAL science at all. Most vegans and vegetarians lie about not eating animal proteins because they are getting sick from the lack of protein and fat.

Forks over knives didn't scare me. I didn't run out and buy a juicer to start the juice cleanse, those are the people it scared.

I have NO reason to be scared. Why your probably thinking?

I eat meats that are humanely raised and slaughtered. These animals live healthy lives with sunshine, fresh air and loads of pasture land to roam. They are not fed any grains and are left to forage for their own food as they would in the wild.

I purchase my produce from a local Coop, farmers markets and a CSA membership.

I make my own personal hygiene and household cleaning supplies. I compost and collect rain water. I am doing my part to live a more sustainable lifestyle.

Again, I will reiterate, if the "vegetarian / vegan" lifestyle were so healthy, then why has there been no previous civilization through time that has lived the vegetarian or vegan lifestyle?
  • jm5734a
    Options
    Neat. I think that's fascinating. Yay Science!
  • nkziv
    nkziv Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    But more horrifying than the current situation?
    You decide...
    http://www.wired.com/underwire/2012/02/headless-chicken-solution
    How else are you going to feed a population of 6 billion and counting?

If the world became vegetarian and we consumed the vast amounts of produce consumed by all the livestock, we would have virtually no food shortage crises. energy is wasted converting plants to meat. It's an extremely inefficient way to allocate calories.
  • Articeluvsmemphis
    Articeluvsmemphis Posts: 1,987 Member
    Options
    I love meat, practically eat chicken everyday, but that's it, this country is going to Hell. why do this to an animal? I promise, I won't get mad if KFC runs out of chicken, just don't do this to an animal.