How the heck do you eat COTTAGE CHEESE?!

Options

Replies

• jandk09
    jandk09 Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    i luv it plain but some times when i get sick of it, ill buy the breakstone packs that have one side fruit and one side cheese
  • Hernandeak11
    Hernandeak11 Posts: 351 Member
    Options
    I've never NOT eaten cottage cheese plain; I guess I'm just one of those people

but then again, I've been eating it since I could feed myself, so I'm used to it
  • hope516
    hope516 Posts: 1,133 Member
    Options
    If you don't like it don't eat it...but I love mine with just about anything! great on salads, in lasagna, with any fruit, awesome with cranberries! Anything really! I have never tried it with tomatoes but it sounds gooD!!!
  • kerriBB37
    kerriBB37 Posts: 967 Member
    Options
    I LOVE cottage cheese.. I'm a fan of the small curd low-fat

I eat it with pineapple or mandarin oranges

I eat with with finely chopped green pepper and onion (my nana's recipe)

I mix 1/4 cup with 1/2 cup egg whites, 1 scoop chocolate protein powder and some cinnamon and make pancakes out of it. SOOOO yummy!
  • MrsCon40
    MrsCon40 Posts: 2,351 Member
    Options
    I like to eat it with chopsticks if I am low on calories - it really makes it last a long time. If I am in a hurry though, I'll just eat it with my fingers - like poi.

Enjoy!

:flowerforyou:
  • kimberly774
    Options
    I used to hate it now I get the lowfat Mayfield and eat it with Pineapple so good that i eat it as a snack most everyday
  • kerriBB37
    kerriBB37 Posts: 967 Member
    Options
    Add sugar free pistachio pudding mix and low fat whip cream to cottage cheese. You can add nuts in it too. Very tasty. Someone is always bringing this "dessert" to a potluck..cuz' it is so simple.

gotta try this! thanks =)
  • udallmom101
    udallmom101 Posts: 564 Member
    Options
    Cottage Cheese with a little bit of dry ranch powder and mixed together. I dip triscuits or veggies.
  • Trechechus
    Trechechus Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    Give me a container of cottage cheese and a spoon and I'm a happy girl.
  • cloud2011
    cloud2011 Posts: 898 Member
    Options
    LIke an elephant, one bite at a time.
  • new2locs
    new2locs Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    Cottage cheese is the yukiest thing I've ever tasted!!! Gross!!!
  • kristelpoole
    kristelpoole Posts: 440 Member
    Options
    For a long time, I didn't like cottage cheese, but I tried it again recently and really like it now. I agree with all the comments below.

However, during the time that I didn't like it, I did like lite pimento cheese, which is has cottage cheese in it. Us either one to dip veggies in as well as eating it with fruit. Sometimes the fruit is too sweet for what you want. The veggies (celery, carrots, cucumbers, raw asparagus, sweet red peppers, are much lower in calories and natrual sugars than fruit.
    If you still can't handle it, eat yogurt instead. Good Luck! Hope this helps!

What the heck kind of pimento cheese have you been eating? LOL
  • cloud2011
    cloud2011 Posts: 898 Member
    Options
    It's good with fresh blueberries, raspberries and blackberries. Doesn't have to be mixed in. You can often find it at salad bars so you don't even have to buy a big container.
  • jedibunny
    Options
    I *love* cottage cheese, and have since I was a kid, but I'd NEVER put fruit in it. My mother does, usually using canned peaches, and it really makes me gag... I can't mix salty and sweet like that (the only exception being chocolate covered pretzels).

I also love dairy in general, so I think for me the curds/whey thing is just a cold, savory-delicious way to eat cheese... lol. If the taste of it disagrees with you, try a different consistency, brand, fat content, etc. I can eat any variety and be happy, but I definitely prefer regular old cottage cheese to the low-fat versions because I find they taste dry.
  • mem1086
    mem1086 Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    I make an open faced cheeseburger with it. Only use the bottom of the bun top with burger patty and cottage cheese. Filling without all the bread. I also saw a post about mixing in vanilla extract and cinnamon to make it like rice pudding (haven't tried but sounds yummy).
  • Tiff1124
    Tiff1124 Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    I eat mine with pineapple or peaches, it really satisfies my sweets cravings. Looking at some of the posts here though I'm getting great ideas for other ways to use it :)
  • Gwenski
    Gwenski Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    I can't imagine eating fruit with cottage cheese.. seems odd to me. I do love cottage cheese though. I usually have it as a side at lunch with fat-free chicken or turkey sliced, some raw veggies, maybe some hummus, and a slice of whole grain bread or a few low-fat/low sodium crackers. I love the cool, creamy texture and the nice bit of salt in it.
  • thepetiterunner
    thepetiterunner Posts: 1,238 Member
    Options
    Oh gosh, it's so delicious!

I enjoy mine with:

Salsa (pico de gallo, homemade)
    Fruit (fresh fruit of any sort, berries, kiwis, bananas, grapes are my favorites)
    Yogurt
    On top of waffles with fruit
    Just plain
    Swirled with a bit of fruit preserve

Yum!
  • marybobaly
    Options
    Yup with a spoon. I never got creative with it. The only thing I have ever added to it is pineapple. It may look nasty, but I actually like it.
  • southernyankee716
    Options
    I knew a guy who mixed tuna fish and cottage cheese:sick: I prefer it plain with a dash of pepper. Delicious! But there really are so many uses for it!

Cottage cheese is loaded with sodium. If you're like me and trying to watch your sodium, Friendship makes a cottage cheese with no salt added! :love:

http://www.friendshipdairies.com/products/1-lowfat-no-salt-added-cottage-cheese.html