How the heck do you eat COTTAGE CHEESE?!

Options

Replies

• hecticod00d
    Options
    I just eat it by itself with a spoon :D
  • Sagefemme76
    Sagefemme76 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    it's pretty bland, I'll agree, but also easy to flavour up with few cals. My favourite thing to do with it at the moment is mix with a bit of dijon mustard and have it on a cracker with ham and tomato for lunch.....yummm
  • MaryEffingPoppins
    MaryEffingPoppins Posts: 371 Member
    Options
    I've heard so much about cottage cheese and I bought it and its salty and chunky. Why do so many people like this? Do you eat it with a spoon like that?:smile:

WORD! I'm a cheese head but can't get down w/ the chunky stuff. No bueno.
  • Switty_Kitty
    Switty_Kitty Posts: 538 Member
    Options
    COttage cheese scares me, but I wish I liked it. Im a texture person...If its lumpy, Im not eating it lol Maybe I'll try it some day. Hope you find a way to enjoy it for its health benefits!
  • shepherdbl
    shepherdbl Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    When I was younger, I did not like it any of these ways but now.....

Ways I have eaten cottage cheese: (I prefer the non-fat variety, but will eat the others)

Plain
    With avocado and tomatoes for a tasty lunch
    With fruit - especially pineapple (my husband prefers peaches or mandarin oranges)
    With salt/pepper on saltine crackers
    Mixed with applesauce and cinnamon, spread on English muffin and put under broiler or in toaster oven until bubbly on top (tastes like a cheese danish)
    In lasagna instead of ricotta
    Mixed with crushed pineapple then lime jello for a pretty gelatin salad (my husband's favorite)
    Mixed with salsa for a tasty dip for veggies

I NEVER use a spoon - do not like the texture that way. I ALWAYS use a fork.
  • keeponkickin
    keeponkickin Posts: 1,520 Member
    Options
    REPOST - a high protein vanilla cheesecake smoothie recipe
    Wow! I made a high protein vanilla cheesecake smoothie tonight. It tastes like cake batter. So delicious!!!
    Here's the ingredients and you can easily modify as you like.
    1 cup cottage cheese
    1 cup nonfat milk
    1 scoop vanilla protein powder
    2 tablespoons sugar free cheesecake pudding mix
    tsp. vanilla extract
    6 ice cubes stevia or whichever sugar substitute you like and add to taste.
    Toss it all in a blender and mix until smooth and thickens.
    Don't worry, the cottage cheese gets all smooth and gives it a cheesecake cake batter taste. This recipe packs 60 grams of protein and about 400 calories. Super yummy and you stay very full.

Yes, this is my recipe. I have several varieties I make with cottage cheese. I make chocolate, pumpkin pie, vanilla, chocolate peanut butter (peanut butter cup) and fruit varieties.

Thanks for posting this for me :-)

If anyone wants the recipes please message me and I'll send them along with what brand of protein powders I use.
  • jaabee11
    jaabee11 Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    I eat it almost every day atm. I but the low fat one from Aldi. 500 gr.
    I love it with fresh tomato slices and pepper on crackers.
    I also absolutely love it mixed with sweet chili sauce and using it like a dip with my crackers. I actually forget now it's not Philly cream cheese or sour cream.
    I also love it with a bit of lemon juice , then zapped in the food processor until it looks like sour cream. Yum. Do whatever you would do with sour cream.
    I've also put it in the food processor with sweeteners & vanilla essence to make a sweet cream, very nice cream substitute.
  • blessmy5
    Options
    With just a little sugar! Yum~
  • askme12
    askme12 Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    I put it in lasagna instead of ricotta, thats the only way I can eat it. I tried eating it with a spoon once, but the texture made me nauseous.:sick:
  • MMarvelous
    MMarvelous Posts: 1,067 Member
    Options
    Wow! I made a high protein vanilla cheesecake smoothie tonight. It tastes like cake batter. So delicious!!!
    1 cup cottage cheese
    1 cup nonfat milk
    tsp. vanilla extract
    Don't worry, the cottage cheese gets all smooth and gives it a cheesecake cake batter taste. This recipe packs 60 grams of protein and about 400 calories. Super yummy and you stay very full.

Yes, this is my recipe. I have several varieties I make with cottage cheese. I make chocolate, pumpkin pie, vanilla, chocolate peanut butter (peanut butter cup) and fruit varieties.

If anyone wants the recipes please message me and I'll send them along with what brand of protein powders I use.

It is so delicious and I am lactose intolerant so I can only have it on the weekends lol
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    I add some dry Hidden Valley Ranch dressing to it, and the Fiesta flavor too.

4% milkfat version too, much better flavor.

I can barely eat it plain.
  • IvoryParchment
    IvoryParchment Posts: 651 Member
    Options
    I spread it on crackers topped with jalapeno salsa.
  • keeponkickin
    keeponkickin Posts: 1,520 Member
    Options
    1 cup cottage cheese
    1 cup nonfat milk
    tsp. vanilla extract

It is so delicious and I am lactose intolerant so I can only have it on the weekends lol

Thanks. I'm so happy to hear from those that have tried it. It really is super yummy.
  • kdiamond
    kdiamond Posts: 3,329 Member
    Options
    I like cottage cheese pancakes - http://www.elitefitness.com/forum/muscle-food-bodybuilding/bodybuilding-pancakes-eating-life-313657.html - great for protein you can even add some protein powder if you desire.

I also love cottage cheese "fluff" - OMG it is soooooooo good and like a dessert - http://www.nzbodybuilding.co.nz/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=3777

OR to see a picture of it

http://www.mynew30.com/2008/03/jello-fluff-low-carb.html
  • kerriann4
    kerriann4 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Cottage cheese mixed with tuna! Yummy and tons of protein!!
  • ndlakebum
    Options
    Cottage cheese mixed with some mandarin oranges is my favorite!
  • emalbright
    emalbright Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    I just tried it yesterday with a little splenda and cinnamon...actually pretty good!
  • wapan
    wapan Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    Love it! Cinnamon and splenda, Raisins. And for the very adventurous - with chocolate chips.
  • SarahCW1979
    SarahCW1979 Posts: 572 Member
    Options
    I do NOT like it lumpy, its just a really gross texture to me so I mash it with a fork until its more like cream cheese then add in some pepper.
  • ConnieB1979
    ConnieB1979 Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    I love it with a little salt and pepper on top of a baked potato, with alot of steamed veggies on the side! :-)