How the heck do you eat COTTAGE CHEESE?!

Options

Replies

• FitFunTina
    FitFunTina Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    I believe it's an acquired taste. And frequently acquired tastes aren't worth the effort it takes to acquire them. I'm not a cottage cheese fan.

This.

Cottage cheese is not worth the reduction in calories and increase in protein. In my opinion. lol.
  • hmstarbuck
    hmstarbuck Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    Yum! It's on of my favs!! I love canned peaches and cottage cheese. I love it with salt and pepper and crackers. A friend of mine eats it on her tacos. I haven't ventured that far. But I do use in place of ricotta for lasagna, I just blend it with and egg and herbs and parm cheese. HUGE money saver. I do also enjoy cottage cheese, mandarin oranges and a packet of low fat whatever flavored jello you like. That is heaven!! There is also a cherry one that my mom used to make. It's fab!
  • roadworthy
    Options
    Mix it with egg and layer it in a lasagne, only way I can get that stuff down:)
  • jnhu72
    jnhu72 Posts: 558 Member
    Options
    I'm weird...I can't eat cottage cheese plain. I have to eat it with veggies or meat. I get cottage cheese on half of my fork and then veggies or meat on the other part-it's tasty that way to me!
  • MommaH_78
    MommaH_78 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I've heard so much about cottage cheese and I bought it and its salty and chunky. Why do so many people like this? Do you eat it with a spoon like that?:smile:

I tried it a couple of years ago and hated it, it seemed so disgusting, but now I eat it with my lunch and breakfast, but i dont really eat it plain... and i NEVER buy the daisy brand it is the worst IMO... but try putting pepper, or i got a mixture that was spices and salt rocks, or whatever (where you cruch it in the lid) and that was good, it is really good if you eat it with Pizza Lean pockets!~!!
  • loki3981
    loki3981 Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    I get the low sodium kind (friendship brand) and either do fresh fruit (PEACHES!!!) or salsa. I've always liked it though. If you're indulgent, try it with Cheetos, the crunchy ones.
  • heathersmilez
    heathersmilez Posts: 2,579 Member
    Options
    I'm a cheese-hater so the odd time I buy it for the sake of protein it's to make Strawberry Cheesecake Smoothies. 1/2 cup ff low sodium cc, 1/2 cup 1% milk, 1 cup strawberries, 1/2 tsp vanilla extract and 2 packets of sweetener = awesomeness!

Nutrition: 204 cals, 342mg sodium, 1g fat, 30g carbs, 20g protein, 6g fiber

Here's my photo;

Picture514.jpg
  • megjeg
    megjeg Posts: 18
    Options
    Look up some Indian recipes for Cottage Cheese, aka Paneer. It's a staple here for vegetarians. You should find recipes for sandwiches n salads like people have already described, but you can also cook it n make main course dishes like peas n cottage cheese- its a stir fry with red onions, garlic, ginger, a few spices n peas n cottage cheese.. Pretty yum!
  • pinkprincess205
    Options
    I have the cottage cheese n pineapple one n have it on jacket potato.
    The natural cottage cheese one is yuk x
  • JoolieW68
    JoolieW68 Posts: 1,879 Member
    Options
    I also use it in smoothies and add protein powder to it as well.
  • LittleElephant
    LittleElephant Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    On top of baked potatoes. Or mixed with horseradish and piled on a wrap with rocket. Yum!
  • pinuplove
    pinuplove Posts: 12,874 Member
    Options
    I'm a cheese-hater so the odd time I buy it for the sake of protein it's to make Strawberry Cheesecake Smoothies. 1/2 cup ff low sodium cc, 1/2 cup 1% milk, 1 cup strawberries, 1/2 tsp vanilla extract and 2 packets of sweetener = awesomeness!

Nutrition: 204 cals, 342mg sodium, 1g fat, 30g carbs, 20g protein, 6g fiber

Here's my photo;

Picture514.jpg

^^^ The only post in this thread that hasn't grossed me out! Cottage cheese is not necessary for life. Thankfully.
  • ruqayyahsmum
    ruqayyahsmum Posts: 1,514 Member
    Options
    i make a flan thing with mine

i buy the virtually fat free stuff, i mix 500ml of it with 4 eggs and i add chopped ham or chicken and sweetcorn, onion and peas and bake it in the oven for 40 minutes. i leave it to cool for a little while then serve a slice with a salad
  • jftuesday
    Options
    Not the healthiest way to eat it I know, but I love it when I scoop it with Nacho Cheese Doritos. If you watch your portions (i.e. 1oz of Doritos (11chips) for every half cup of 1% cottage cheese) its a great way to add protein to your diary provided you have room for the carbs and fat from the Doritos.
  • mclukey
    Options
    My new favorite snack is mango and cottage cheese. I just defrost the frozen mango and sweeten it up with some sugar or splenda then put it on top the cottage cheese. I have been eating this alot!!! so yommy!
  • susannamarie
    susannamarie Posts: 2,148 Member
    Options
    I like it plain.

I like it with fruit, especially the softer canned fruits.

Or I like it in pancakes, with applesauce. Makes it a bit more of a savory dish, but those are the only pancakes I eat anymore. Sometimes I make a batch and then freeze them and thaw out two a day for breakfasts.
  • KyleB65
    KyleB65 Posts: 1,196 Member
    Options
    Yogurt is as close as I have gotten to cottage cheese!

However, my colleague mixes a little strawberry jam in with hers and says that it is yummy .
  • Icedancer94
    Options
    With crackers... yum!
  • caligurl07
    caligurl07 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    You can mix yogart or crushed pineapple it tastes yummy!!
  • valligator
    valligator Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    I eat it on toast. So mother-lovin' good.