How the heck do you eat COTTAGE CHEESE?!

Options

Replies

• cryingwolfeblog
    Options
    I get fat free cottage cheese, put crushed red pepper, one TBS of sunflower seed oil and mix it all together ( 1/2 cup serving) . It's a little spicy which makes you forget that it has a healthy result.
    I eat it like a dip, with a veggie or wheat crackers.
    Good stuff.....Protein
  • DeenieWeenie
    DeenieWeenie Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    There is 430 mg of sodium in a 1/2 cup serving of my fiber one cottage cheese!
  • CarrieBeard
    CarrieBeard Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    Mix in with any sugar free jello (mix) before refrigerating. Very tasty snack!
  • cryingwolfeblog
    Options
    Just looked at mine---420 mg of sodium...I guess you can never trade one thing for the other, huh???
  • committomittxoxo
    committomittxoxo Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    lifelong question of mine... bump
  • spazwgeo
    spazwgeo Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    Ok so I didn't read all of the post cause I'm really wanting to get to sleep but wanted to say I LOVE cottage cheese.

I eat it in my salads, it allows me to use half the amount of dressing.
    I also mix it with yogurt! Both ways are yummy and it's a good way to get some extra protein and calcium. :)
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    Options
    I don't eat it much. But you make it salty and you can also make it sweet. I have put sugar in it before and it tasted good. Some people also put fruit in it and stuff like that. You can also use it in place of ricotta in lasagna. I have yet to do that, but the next time I make lasagna I will because it's probably healthier.
  • Aliciaaah
    Aliciaaah Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    Eat it on crackers, or toast. Amazing! I love the stuff!
  • SparkleShine
    SparkleShine Posts: 2,001 Member
    Options
    I LOVE cottage cheese. I only eat with plain or with tomatoe slices and with salt and pepper!

I have never had it with fruit and I don't think I could do it....bleh! I guess it's all how you were raised. My mom and grandparents always used salt and pepper.

We also like a little salt on watermelon and canteloupe! Oh, and grapefruit!:tongue:
  • Tamstar1985
    Tamstar1985 Posts: 334 Member
    Options
    i mix fresh vegetables into my cottage cheese, and sprinkle it with a bit of black pepper :D

unfortunately, though, my cottage cheese days are over, since i can't buy it in china :brokenheart:
  • FordGal40
    Options
    I used to eat cottage cheese ALL THE TIME when I was younger & then I grew not to like it. I decided to try it again about 1 month ago and now I have it at least once a day, I do think it is a taste & texture that people either like or hate. Actually, I had a dream that I was eating it & liked it, thats what sparked my curiousity to give it another shot, some 15 years later or so lol.

I have found that small curd is much easier to eat. I haven't tried fruit in it, but I have put crushed up saltines in there to help with the texture of the curds (plus it helps me get my carbs since I am ALWAYS short on those).
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    Options
    I LOVE cottage cheese. I only eat with plain or with tomatoe slices and with salt and pepper!

I have never had it with fruit and I don't think I could do it....bleh! I guess it's all how you were raised. My mom and grandparents always used salt and pepper.

We also like a little salt on watermelon and canteloupe! Oh, and grapefruit!:tongue:

Yepp I was raised the same way lol. I heard that some people make their cottage cheese sweet once on the internet and I decided to give it a try and I actually ended up liking it. I also freezed a little and it was kind of like ice cream. Lumpy ice cream lol.
  • PunkyRachel
    PunkyRachel Posts: 1,959 Member
    Options
    Okay, most people think this is gross, but I eat it with pork & beans, mixing the 2 together.
    Here lately, I've been using it in tuna salad, basically replacing mayo with a 1/2 cup of cottage cheese instead. It's really yummy!
  • ahsongbird
    ahsongbird Posts: 712 Member
    Options
    cottage cheese is yummyyyyyyy , but I'm partial to salty foods .
  • IvoryParchment
    IvoryParchment Posts: 651 Member
    Options
    There are huge differences in the taste of various kinds of cottage cheese. A lot of it will be your personal preference.

I don't particularly like the taste of milkfat, so I like nonfat cottage cheese. Other people will like creamed cottage cheese. Large curd or small curd will affect the curd-to-cream ratio, so it will change your perception of the taste.

Since I'm not trying to reproduce the full-fat experience, I stay away from products light Light and Lively that try to substitute with chemical thickeners. Plain old curds is fine with me, and it's solid protein. I prefer Breakstone's, that is pretty much just cottage cheese.

Freshness is very important. If all you've had of cottage cheese was a litttle round scoop in a cafeteria, you've tasted the worst of it.

You can cook with nonfat cottage cheese like other cheeses, such as in lasagne, or in crepes or enchiladas.
  • blytheandbonnie
    blytheandbonnie Posts: 3,275 Member
    Options
    Nobody actually eats COTTAGE CHEESE - you buy it, put it in the fridge and then bin it when it's out of date

LOL. Funny!
  • paisley2288
    paisley2288 Posts: 913 Member
    Options
    I can honestly say I have never tried cottage cheese... it just looks weird. But I do love Greek yogurt. Maybe I should try it.
  • candisrn
    Options
    I use a spoon or fork. I add sunflower seeds some times or fruit like pineapple. I like it with a few fish crackers too as a treat.
  • mamamc03
    mamamc03 Posts: 1,067 Member
    Options
    I say it belongs in the trash!! :sick: I knew a person with a vaginal infection that described her secretions as Cottage Cheese....sooooo no thanks!! Barf o Rama!!
  • crimznrose
    crimznrose Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    i'm not a big cottage cheese fan, but it works great in lasagna. Every once in a while I can also tolerate it with some applesauce mixed in.