How the heck do you eat COTTAGE CHEESE?!

Options
I've heard so much about cottage cheese and I bought it and its salty and chunky. Why do so many people like this? Do you eat it with a spoon like that?:smile:

Replies

• kidbxrs
    kidbxrs Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    I do use a spoon and I like mine with fruit. So I will dip my CC out into a small bowl and top with Pinapples or Peaches. Very good and really healthy. I like the small curd.
  • Spinelli2288
    Spinelli2288 Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    Love, love, LOVE cottage cheese. lol Sometimes I add a touch of pepper to it, other times I throw strawberries, melon, or raspberries in it. Now I want some cottage cheese. lol
  • MikeSEA
    MikeSEA Posts: 1,074 Member
    Options
    I believe it's an acquired taste. And frequently acquired tastes aren't worth the effort it takes to acquire them. I'm not a cottage cheese fan.
  • sunnyday789
    sunnyday789 Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    I started eating more of it when I realized the protein content is equal or greater than greek yoghurt and calories about the same or less.
    And about half the price.
    I like it plain, but it's better with pineapple chunks or fruit salad (I add the little cups ~ 70 calories)
  • TONYAGOOCH
    TONYAGOOCH Posts: 470 Member
    Options
    You can get the large curd or small curd. I buy the low fat (either curd works for me) and add salt and pepper and eat it with a spoon. I love it. But you can add fruit to it or add it to a recipe like lasagna or something.
  • blytheandbonnie
    blytheandbonnie Posts: 3,275 Member
    Options
    It's good with pears. I also like it with tomatoes with some salt and pepper. We've put a glob on baked potatoes instead of butter or sour cream, it's nice. Just plain out of the tub is good, too.
  • AmandaBroun
    Options
    I like it with fruit. A little pineapple or some chopped apples and cinnamon.
  • auddiejo
    Options
    COTTAGE CHEESE & PINEAPPLE = BEST COMBO EVER!!!!!!!!!!
  • littlebigsteve
    littlebigsteve Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    large curd on its own..i se to hate broccilli and cottage cheese ..now i love them both
  • 130annie
    130annie Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    I put it in lasagna...And that's about it.....I'm not a fan....It would sit in my fridge forever....:smile:
  • Cberg9
    Cberg9 Posts: 123
    Options
    I like the 4% milkfat small curd, there is something about that particular one, it seems creamier to me. But I love it straight up, nothing added, I can also eat it with pineapple as previously mentioned! Love love cottage cheese
  • Anelda
    Anelda Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    I adore cottage cheese. With fruit.. particularly blueberries.
    Or with salsa.. or hot sauce... or all by itself. It's delicious!
  • Stacyanne324
    Stacyanne324 Posts: 780 Member
    Options
    I adore cottage cheese! I have it for breakfast 6 mornings a week in the form of the Breakstone Cottage Doubles. It reminds me of tiny bits of mozzarella and always seems like something that shouldn't be allowed in my diet. I could definitely eat it alone but the added bonus of the sweet fruit bit in the doubles is great and for only 100 calories it holds me over until lunch. I love the apple cinnamin and the blueberry best and then peach after that. Yum!!
  • KateB1982
    KateB1982 Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    I see you are in Ontario. Take a visit to Fortinos or a Superstore and get President's Choice Blue Menu Vanilla or Strawberry cottage cheese. Very yummy! Even my hubby likes the vanilla one, and he usually HATES cottage cheese. :)
  • Stacyanne324
    Stacyanne324 Posts: 780 Member
    Options
    I adore cottage cheese. With fruit.. particularly blueberries.
    Or with salsa.. or hot sauce... or all by itself. It's delicious!

Yum! I never thought of salsa or hot sauce with it. Definitely trying that next!
  • 2hmom
    2hmom Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    I mix mine with applesauce. ( I use applesauce for baking instead of butter or margarine.)
  • Wingnut51
    Options
    I like the large curd with salt and pepper but only ceritan brands I will eat. Some of it just tastes gross for some reason. I dont like it with any kind of fruit. Gross. My grandma use to make some fruit salad with cottage cheese and fruit. I always hated it.
  • dupaboo
    dupaboo Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    LOVE me some cottage cheese....plain....with a spoon. I use it when making lighterside lasagna, which I haven't had in forever...and am now drooling....
  • amyallenstockwell
    amyallenstockwell Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    For a long time, I didn't like cottage cheese, but I tried it again recently and really like it now. I agree with all the comments below.

However, during the time that I didn't like it, I did like lite pimento cheese, which is has cottage cheese in it. Us either one to dip veggies in as well as eating it with fruit. Sometimes the fruit is too sweet for what you want. The veggies (celery, carrots, cucumbers, raw asparagus, sweet red peppers, are much lower in calories and natrual sugars than fruit.
    If you still can't handle it, eat yogurt instead. Good Luck! Hope this helps!
  • LuckyLeprechaun
    LuckyLeprechaun Posts: 6,296 Member
    Options
    I like to mix in 1/3 cup of craisins or dried blueberries for a sweet and chewy addition.