How the heck do you eat COTTAGE CHEESE?!

Options

Replies

• salsera_barbie
    salsera_barbie Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    bump for the ideas.
  • paigedwatson
    Options
    I'm having cottage cheese for lunch! It's very versitile! I've thought about blending it up and using it in lasagna instead of riccotta cheese. I've heard of people putting it in smoothies... that doesn't sound great to me but who knows, maybe I'll try it out and eat my words (literally).
  • douglas311
    Options
    I eat it every morning w/ fruit....I used to eat oatmeal but I feel alot better now that I've added protein to my mornings. Down almost 13 lbs in a month and a half....it seems to be helping!! GOOD LUCK!
  • atxgr8life
    atxgr8life Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I would be careful eating it with pineapple or any fruit for that matter. The whole purpose of having it as a snack is to keep it healthy and adding pineapple and other fruit will raise the sugar level.

I have substituted it in place of ricotta for lasagna numerous times without telling my guests and they seldom notice. Also sprinkling pepper (if you like some spice) or cinnamon to help raise your metabolism to burn more calories.

Happy eating :)
  • Zalitharia
    Zalitharia Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I've been eating it with tuna and a dash of pepper. Very filling and lots of protein.

1/2 can of tuna
    1/2 cup of cottage cheese

160 calories
    2g fat
    6g carbs
    31g protein
  • hauntgoddess
    hauntgoddess Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    I could probably live on cottage cheese if I could....it is sooo good :)
  • yoovie
    yoovie Posts: 17,121 Member
    Options
    in a pita with sundried tomatoes, basil and lean turkey breast
  • rgraham206
    rgraham206 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Years ago, when my mom was in Weight Watchers, she used cottage cheese in place of mayonnaise in egg salad. Ever since, I have preferred my egg salad be made that way. It makes for a much lighter texture as well as less fat & calories. Don't knock it 'til you try it...
  • melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    Options
    Just having some for supper: I finely chopped a spring onion, 3 cherry tomatoes and a 2 inch piece of cucumber. I added some torn spinach leaves, and mixed all that together, then stirred through a half a 125g tub of natural cottage cheese. season with black pepper - simple and delicious! If its that texture that's putting you off, something like that might help.
  • kealambert
    kealambert Posts: 961 Member
    Options
    i eat mine with a spoon, usually...
  • Kandygirl
    Kandygirl Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    i dont. it grosses me out!
  • CarrieAnne22
    CarrieAnne22 Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    I've hated cottage cheese since I was a kid, but have recently begun to eat it, and LOVE it, like this: half a cup of CC, half a cup of blueberries, partial packet of stevia in the raw. You never would've been able to convince me of it's merits in the past, but this has become one of my all time favorite snacks. I keep these 3 items in stock at all times now. A little bit of granola thrown in every once in a while is a nice treat, too.
  • iPlugs
    iPlugs Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    When I was in college, all of my friends used to make fun of me for eating cottage cheese with salt and pepper! They thought it was really weird. It's nice to know that I'm not really as unusual as they thought.
  • xxxtwix
    Options
    I grew up eating it with paprika or pineapple. I like it and eat it frequently. Fish on the other hand...bleh. I suppose it is an acquired taste or texture. :tongue:
  • slitherhither
    Options
    I like to eat it two ways:

- as a "dip" (in hearty, hefty amounts) on crackers (i.e. I'm using a cracker instead of a spoon) because I like the texture contrast between the cracker and the cottage cheese

- on baked potatoes (in place of fat-rich butter & sour cream)

Cottage cheese might be a bit of an acquired taste. My teenage/preteen kids hate it.
  • lipglossjunky73
    lipglossjunky73 Posts: 497 Member
    Options
    I get the one with pineapple in it and eat it for lunch!
  • eryn415
    eryn415 Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    I am totally buying some cottage cheese tonight after reading this post.
  • oskarmeyer
    Options
    Salt and pepper and chopped chives or green onion. I like it savoury - not with fruit etc.
    Also you can blend it up, add a bit of onion soup mix and use it as a veggie dip. Way better for you than sour cream or mayo-based dips.
  • trhjrh06
    trhjrh06 Posts: 2,272 Member
    Options
    I love cottage cheese plain, also with pepper and this is the only thing I will put pepper on, also cottage cheese and fruit mainly pineapple! Yum
  • maremare312
    maremare312 Posts: 1,143 Member
    Options
    I put some black pepper on it. Yum! I think I'm going to go eat some now.