Language Does Matter!

Options
MrsCon40
MrsCon40 Posts: 2,351 Member
One of my beloveds wrote something that I think many people here should read.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/Contrarian/view/language-does-matter-215613

Enjoy! And remember that language does matter!

Replies

• anubis609
    anubis609 Posts: 3,966 Member
    Options
    I'd like to add that even those whose second [or third or fourth] language is English, tend to speak it more properly than those born here.
  • JDMPWR
    JDMPWR Posts: 1,863 Member
    Options
    Thank you for that post. Must PM Contrarian.
  • UponThisRock
    UponThisRock Posts: 4,522 Member
    Options
    I'd like to add that even those whose second [or third or fourth] language is English, tend to speak it more properly than those born here.
  • pastryari
    pastryari Posts: 8,646 Member
    Options

LOL. That's a joke.
  • onedayillbamilf
    onedayillbamilf Posts: 662 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou:
  • infamousmk
    infamousmk Posts: 6,033 Member
    Options
    BUMP!
  • FitLink
    FitLink Posts: 1,317 Member
    Options
    Ugh! Hear, hear!

(Note I did not say "here here!")

(Or "Walla!")

(Or "Prolly.")
  • Lizzy_Sunflower
    Lizzy_Sunflower Posts: 1,510 Member
    Options
    :drinker:
  • determinedbutlazy
    determinedbutlazy Posts: 1,941 Member
    Options
    I'm an ESL teacher, and it SHOCKS me that native speakers mistake you're/your and their/there/they're.
  • honeysprinkles
    honeysprinkles Posts: 1,757 Member
    Options
    Some people just suck at grammar and spelling. Some people don't. I don't see the big deal and I'm tired of people always complaining about it! There are better things to spend your time worrying about.
  • honeysprinkles
    honeysprinkles Posts: 1,757 Member
    Options
    I'm an ESL teacher, and it SHOCKS me that native speakers mistake you're/your and their/there/they're.
    That shocks you? They're three words that sound the same, it doesn't surprise me that some people get it confused. I know the difference but that doesn't mean that you won't ever catch me accidentally typing there when I mean their.

Proper grammar comes naturally to some of us, so it's easy to not realize that it really can be a struggle for some people. It doesn't mean that they don't care or that they're stupid and it certainly isn't a reason to start feeling better about yourself.

Why not worry about real problems and not petty things like how someone spells or types...this isn't a classroom.
  • Contrarian
    Contrarian Posts: 8,138 Member
    Options
    The demise of proper language skills IS a real problem.
  • Qarol
    Qarol Posts: 6,171 Member
    Options
    Ugh! Hear, hear!

(Note I did not say "here here!")

(Or "Walla!")

(Or "Prolly.")
    or "per say"

My brain thanks you...
  • _SusieQ_
    _SusieQ_ Posts: 2,964 Member
    Options
    My personal opinion is that those born to the "texting generation" are losing their ability to write/read/speak properly. Shorthand may work for texting and even personal email, but at some point these boys and girls will be expected to join the working class. May as well practice proper written skills now rather than trying to figure out why they couldn't even get an interview because of a poorly written resume/application/cover letter.

Like, fer realz!
  • infamousmk
    infamousmk Posts: 6,033 Member
    Options
    The demise of proper language skills IS a real problem.

Agreed. The less skilled we are at proper language, the less skilled at communication we become. Eventually we'll be sending picture-messages to convey our thoughts because our children never bothered to learn how to spell the actual words.
  • kennethmgreen
    kennethmgreen Posts: 1,759 Member
    Options

LOL. That's a joke.
    I don't think that was a joke at all. Many people who learn English as a second or third or fourth language don't take it for granted and actually care about getting it right. They wouldn't argue that it's not important.
  • yummy♥
    yummy♥ Posts: 612 Member
    Options
    Proper grammar comes naturally to some of us

This simply isn't true. While people may have different capacities for learning, no one was born knowing how to spell or use proper grammar. Words are wonderful tools, and I always appreciate those who make the effort to use them correctly and effectively.
  • carrie_eggo
    carrie_eggo Posts: 1,396 Member
    Options
    Wonderful blog post! Thanks for sharing!
  • MUByM
    MUByM Posts: 208
    Options
    Some people just suck at grammar and spelling. Some people don't. I don't see the big deal and I'm tired of people always complaining about it! There are better things to spend your time worrying about.

This.
  • nerdyandilikeit
    nerdyandilikeit Posts: 2,185 Member
    Options

Why not worry about real problems and not petty things like how someone spells or types...this isn't a classroom.

Weird. I thought the whole point of school was to prepare me for real life.

If you don't know your language, you can't communicate effectively. At the very least, I'll judge you a little.