Language Does Matter!

Options

Replies

• honeysprinkles
    honeysprinkles Posts: 1,757 Member
    Options
    I have noticed in this thread a tendency by some to defend a tenuous position. :huh: I really hope you aren't in charge of anything important. Reminds me of Custer at Little Bighorn.
    what do you mean by "a tendency by some to defend a tenuous position"? Wordy phrasing, but doesn't really say much at all.

How about boneheadedly sticking to a poor argument? I was trying to be polite.

She just didn't understand your words, Ted. Now that you've rephrased it, it may be more easily disgested.

:flowerforyou:
    Don't be so condescending. I know what his words meant, another good example of overly complicated phrasing without any actual purpose.

Please accept my apologies for any offense. I can now see that you just like to argue.
    I do like to argue, I'll admit that. And you didn't offend me, either. :)
  • IpuffyheartHeelsinthegym
    Options
    i can understand, but most of my friends now I suck at spelling and gramer, but not by choice. I have learning disablities which make it hard for me to write and to understand.

Honestly, for me at least, you are a friend of mine and I can gather what your meaning is, so I tend to overlook yours.
  • andygettinfitt
    Options
    i can understand, but most of my friends now I suck at spelling and gramer, but not by choice. I have learning disablities which make it hard for me to write and to understand.

Honestly, for me at least, you are a friend of mine and I can gather what your meaning is, so I tend to overlook yours.
    and a flower for you :flowerforyou:
  • IpuffyheartHeelsinthegym
    Options

I was being nice and you flowered me! <gasp!>
  • TourThePast
    TourThePast Posts: 1,753 Member
    Options
    I do struggle with grammar and spelling. I'm not sure why. English was my best subject as a child, but as an adult, I find it slipping away, which is kind of scary. Plus, I am super sensitive about it.

I do read quite a bit. Always have. It's weird. I will be typing and suddenly I will forget how to spell a very simple word and I have to google it. This is coming from the 4th grade class spelling bee champion. I guess maybe technology has contributed to it. Almost everything has spell check or auto correct.
    While my initial response was to disagree, on reflection I am inclined to wonder whether this is correct, as all too often I've found myself clicking on my calculator to solve a problem that once I'd have solved using mental arithmetic.
    My response: In many situations in life, your writing will precede you, and you will be judged according to it. It's not necessarily FAIR...but it's the way it is.
    It's ironic that as social networking has become more prevalent, communication skills have become more and more vital. Remember, once something has been posted online, it doesn't go away; googling people's names and email addresses is becoming commonplace in recruitment.
    I don't know about any of you, but when I see someone write things like "wat's dat?" or "u kno", I tend to think they are of a lesser intelligence or very very young. Either way, it's not okay.
    On the contrary, it's perfectly okay to be either very very young, or of a lesser intelligence.

Of course, those writing in this way may not necessarily realise those inferences are being drawn about them... :bigsmile:

EDITED TO ADD: There is, of course, a time and a place for "shorthand" - when writing expensive international text messages, there is a definite advantage in reducing character count and I do use phrases such as "tty L8r 2day" and shortcut phrases were common even way back in the days of telegrams, but with the advent of cheap data, there is no longer any reason to make these shortcuts in everyday communications.
  • andygettinfitt
    Options

I was being nice and you flowered me! <gasp!>
    HUGS
  • mmgomez28
    mmgomez28 Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    I'd like to add that even those whose second [or third or fourth] language is English, tend to speak it more properly than those born here.

LOL. That's a joke.
    I don't think that was a joke at all. Many people who learn English as a second or third or fourth language don't take it for granted and actually care about getting it right. They wouldn't argue that it's not important.

That's the beauty, it's YOUR opinion. I happen to think that was a joke because I have not found it to not be true at all. I'm glad that since English is my first language it means that I take it for granted and don't care about getting it right. Seriously, talk about a generalization.

Now, your post is an insult to me. I am from Puerto Rico and English is my second language.I have only lived in Florida for a year and seven months. I know I make some mistakes with pronunciation, but I am certain that I can prove you wrong. All day. Any day. For example, you said, " I happen to think that was a joke because I have not found it to not be true at all." That has the use of a double negative. It should read, " I happen to think that was a joke because I have found it to not be true at all." Another thing, just because you have not found it true at all does not mean it is a fabrication. You assume and generalize.

* Edited to eliminate sentence on Sonia Sotomayor.
  • Farfourah
    Farfourah Posts: 899 Member
    Options
    Language evolves, deal with it.

So, the evolving of language means we should not try to keep up and have some comprehension of it and how to communicate properly? Or, did I take that the wrong way?

It can be an evolution of language. There's a reason why we don't speak like Shakespeare. Language is ever-changing, and there are some scholars that even argue for the teaching of Ebonics, widely considered to be horrid way of spelling and extremely grammatically incorrect.

I do think Language is important and it does matter SOMETIMES. But I also think Geography, History and Math is pretty important. I'm not going to knock anyone for not understanding basic arithmetic, or World History or not knowing where Lebanon is on a world map.

On top of that, I don't think grammar is reflective of a person at all. Rather, grammar,among many other things, is reflective of the poor state of our education.
  • AliciaBeth78
    AliciaBeth78 Posts: 437 Member
    Options
    Bad spelling/ grammar is perpetuated by the internet, text messaging and ignorance in general. I just want to know why someone who can't figure out the difference between there/their/they're would want to teach young children....
  • honeysprinkles
    Options
    I do struggle with grammar and spelling. I'm not sure why. English was my best subject as a child, but as an adult, I find it slipping away, which is kind of scary. Plus, I am super sensitive about it.

I do read quite a bit. Always have. It's weird. I will be typing and suddenly I will forget how to spell a very simple word and I have to google it. This is coming from the 4th grade class spelling bee champion. I guess maybe technology has contributed to it. Almost everything has spell check or auto correct.
    While my initial response was to disagree, on reflection I am inclined to wonder whether this is correct, as all too often I've found myself clicking on my calculator to solve a problem that once I'd have solved using mental arithmetic.
    My response: In many situations in life, your writing will precede you, and you will be judged according to it. It's not necessarily FAIR...but it's the way it is.
    It's ironic that as social networking has become more prevalent, communication skills have become more and more vital. Remember, once something has been posted online, it doesn't go away; googling people's names and email addresses is becoming commonplace in recruitment.
    I don't know about any of you, but when I see someone write things like "wat's dat?" or "u kno", I tend to think they are of a lesser intelligence or very very young. Either way, it's not okay.
    On the contrary, it's perfectly okay to be either very very young, or of a lesser intelligence.

Of course, those writing in this way may not necessarily realise those inferences are being drawn about them... :bigsmile:
    I just have to say, I really loved your last comment. "On the contrary, it's perfectly okay to be either very very young, or of a lesser intelligence."

Yes, it is okay. And in no way does it make you less of a person. Not to mention that grammar and spelling abilities do not dictate a person's intelligence. I can out-write my fiance any day but he is by far the smartest person I've ever met when it comes to anything math based. Who is to say which trait is more valued?
  • honeysprinkles
    Options
    Bad spelling/ grammar is perpetuated by the internet, text messaging and ignorance in general. I just want to know why someone who can't figure out the difference between there/their/they're would want to teach young children....
    are you trying to take a jab at me? point out one place where I've indicated that I don't know the difference between their, they're, or there. Or better yet, point out where I've misused any of them. Please. :flowerforyou:
  • katherinemm31
    Options
    ...which is one reason why we shouldn't make such quick judgments about people just from their writing. And I say this as a writing instructor (especially one who isn't always formal or even careful about editing).

When I see "text speak" in a forum, I don't assume the writer is ignorant. I tend to suspect the person is young or texts a lot. I am neither young nor an avid texter; I also come from a different background; therefore, I don't expect everyone's writing to be like mine.

In the classroom and in business, I do expect the use of standard English. For those who need more help, I'm always willing to offer it, as well as resources that can assist people with their language challenges. Playing writing one-upmanship and/or putting people down has never yielded better writers or smoother communications.
  • cms6300
    cms6300 Posts: 163
    Options
    Yeah, the constant spell/grammar check is complete buffoonery. If you feel the need to expose someone at 2pm, on a wednesday, via your computer - you're an assclown. Either that or:
    -you view the mistake as a teachable moment, the inner-coach in you can't/won't be stifled - you're a giver
    -you belittle others to make yourself feel better - seems weird considering this a support forum
    -you know the MFP public is hungry for cliched, hackneyed, over used, unoriginal thoughts and you're happy to serve them up with a side of pompous douche-baggary.
  • kapeluza
    kapeluza Posts: 3,434 Member
    Options
    are you trying to take a jab at me? point out one place where I've indicated that I don't know the difference between their, they're, or there. Or better yet, point out where I've misused any of them. Please. :flowerforyou:

Language matters. That is what I am taking with me from this thread.

I bid you adieu with this because this is the mental image I am getting about your posts.

BashKeyboard.gif

I think it's time you go take your rag medicine. Good day.
  • honeysprinkles
    Options
    I'd also like to add that people have had bad grammar since language has been around. It's not a problem created by the internet, it's just more obvious now. Sure, technology and ignorance play a role, but grammar and spelling are sometimes just difficult for people. People who are otherwise intelligent and people who are not. People who otherwise care and people who are indifferent.
  • andygettinfitt
    Options

Ha, I supposedly also have "learn disabilities" but if you judge by my performance, I don't have any, I actually surpass my peers intellectually. Soooooooooooooooooo don't buy in to that bs.

I don't believe I have them, no matter what people have told me. Point is, "you will have them if you believe you have them."
    thats good for you. but my problems are real.
  • Farfourah
    Farfourah Posts: 899 Member
    Options
    Yeah, the constant spell/grammar check is complete buffoonery. If you feel the need to expose someone at 2pm, on a wednesday, via your computer - you're an assclown. Either that or:
    -you view the mistake as a teachable moment, the inner-coach in you can't/won't be stifled - you're a giver
    -you belittle others to make yourself feel better - seems weird considering this a support forum
    -you know the MFP public is hungry for cliched, hackneyed, over used, unoriginal thoughts and you're happy to serve them up with a side of pompous douche-baggary.

LOL.
  • honeysprinkles
    Options
    LOVE this!
  • honeysprinkles
    Options

Language matters. That is what I am taking with me from this thread.

I bid you adieu with this because this is the mental image I am getting about your posts.

BashKeyboard.gif

I think it's time you go take your rag medicine. Good day.
    Oh, that's right. I forgot, I'm a female so clearly all of my problems are due to my menstrual cycle. I don't know how I even made my way out of the kitchen long enough to engage in this argument, but let me take my mydol and get back to where I belong. So sorry...