Language Does Matter!

Options

Replies

• nerdyandilikeit
    nerdyandilikeit Posts: 2,185 Member
    Options

How does a typo (accident, in your words) illustrate the point of this thread? This thread is attacking people who don't use the language correctly, not people who make typos.

Edited: TO CHANGE A TYPO, as horrific as that may sound.

It illustrates that language does matter. I'm not attacking anyone, nor do I believe is this post.

I never said that language doesn't matter, so where did you get that idea?

Oh dear. I quit.
  • BondBomb
    BondBomb Posts: 1,781 Member
    Options
    I happen to think that was a joke because I have not found it to not be true at all.

So, you DO think it's true. Double negative. Woops.
    Exactly. Now the intended meaning of her statement has changed. Why don't people get this?

Yes, I made a typo and now the whole world is going to end because you're on the internet and making an assumption from a typo. Hmm, what's that saying about assumptions.........
    It wasn't a typo, it was a grammatical error. I make them all of the time. Humans are flawed and have room for improvement. I personally would prefer someone to point it out to me. Maybe I don't know any better. Maybe I have been using a word in the wrong way. The bottom line is that you are judged by what you say. Even in writing. You don't have to like it. In fact you can continue to be defensive about it. Although I am not sure why. I would rather grow and improve. It seems more productive that getting angry.

Haha. Are you really going to TELL me that I didn't make a typo? Is it just that you don't believe in a typo or what? Because I know that was a typo considering that I'M the one who wrote it. Thanks. I am not angry, just really disgusted with how far people are willing to go to make themselves feel better and superior.
    Fine. A typo. The point is that no one is pointing it out to feel superior. I feel superior for other reasons. It is being pointed out because like it or not you are judged on the way you communicate. I have also chosen not to hire people based on poor communication skills. In my line of work we submit reports to various government agencies around the world. If English is their second language (agency) they can not always understand grammatical error and typos. I don't have time to translate the reports for my German collegues.

But where you people are wrong is in judging people for their language skills on the internet, which has NOTHING to do with work. There are tons of people who can communicate just fine at work or in "real" life but don't choose to be so picky when they are on the internet. You're making assumptions that people who don't take the time to look over what they wrote to be sure it's correct when posting on forums/internet are not capable of doing so in the real world. THAT is my point.
    Im sorry, where exactly did I say that?
  • pastryari
    pastryari Posts: 8,646 Member
    Options

How does a typo (accident, in your words) illustrate the point of this thread? This thread is attacking people who don't use the language correctly, not people who make typos.

It illustrates that language does matter. I'm not attacking anyone, nor do I believe is this post.

Oh dear. I quit.

I was genuinely curious because looking over my posts, I don't see that sentence anywhere. But very well.
  • honeysprinkles
    honeysprinkles Posts: 1,757 Member
    Options
    I'm an ESL teacher, and it SHOCKS me that native speakers mistake you're/your and their/there/they're.
    That shocks you? They're three words that sound the same, it doesn't surprise me that some people get it confused. I know the difference but that doesn't mean that you won't ever catch me accidentally typing there when I mean their.

Proper grammar comes naturally to some of us, so it's easy to not realize that it really can be a struggle for some people. It doesn't mean that they don't care or that they're stupid and it certainly isn't a reason to start feeling better about yourself.

Why not worry about real problems and not petty things like how someone spells or types...this isn't a classroom.

Despite the fact that they are three words that sound the same (they're called "homophones") they have three different and very distinct meanings and they are not interchangeable. So, really, it is sad and wrong that people get them confused.

They're=a contraction for "they are"
    Their=plural possessive
    There=a place, direction

It's really not that difficult--however, I find myself teaching and re-teaching my 6th grade students these (and other homophones and how to properly use an apostrophe) every.single.year.
    Thank you for the unnecessary English lesson. I am fully aware of the difference and I know what a homophone is. What I seem to be able to comprehend that so many of you can't is that it's just not easy for everyone. Instead of being self-righteous and judgmental, I chose to have empathy and realize that it doesn't come as easily for some as it does to me. I am sure there are people out there who are self-conscious about how they type, their grammar, etc. and people like you only make it worse. I won't assume that it's just a result of laziness or stupidity because I realize that it's different for everyone.
  • pastryari
    Options
    I happen to think that was a joke because I have not found it to not be true at all.

Exactly. Now the intended meaning of her statement has changed. Why don't people get this?

Yes, I made a typo and now the whole world is going to end because you're on the internet and making an assumption from a typo. Hmm, what's that saying about assumptions.........
    It wasn't a typo, it was a grammatical error. I make them all of the time. Humans are flawed and have room for improvement. I personally would prefer someone to point it out to me. Maybe I don't know any better. Maybe I have been using a word in the wrong way. The bottom line is that you are judged by what you say. Even in writing. You don't have to like it. In fact you can continue to be defensive about it. Although I am not sure why. I would rather grow and improve. It seems more productive that getting angry.

Haha. Are you really going to TELL me that I didn't make a typo? Is it just that you don't believe in a typo or what? Because I know that was a typo considering that I'M the one who wrote it. Thanks. I am not angry, just really disgusted with how far people are willing to go to make themselves feel better and superior.
    Fine. A typo. The point is that no one is pointing it out to feel superior. I feel superior for other reasons. It is being pointed out because like it or not you are judged on the way you communicate. I have also chosen not to hire people based on poor communication skills. In my line of work we submit reports to various government agencies around the world. If English is their second language (agency) they can not always understand grammatical error and typos. I don't have time to translate the reports for my German collegues.

But where you people are wrong is in judging people for their language skills on the internet, which has NOTHING to do with work. There are tons of people who can communicate just fine at work or in "real" life but don't choose to be so picky when they are on the internet. You're making assumptions that people who don't take the time to look over what they wrote to be sure it's correct when posting on forums/internet are not capable of doing so in the real world. THAT is my point.

Since I wrote a lot, I'm not too sure what you're refering to? Where did you say what?
  • honeysprinkles
    Options
    Some people just suck at grammar and spelling. Some people don't. I don't see the big deal and I'm tired of people always complaining about it! There are better things to spend your time worrying about.
    This is an important thing. I am a hiring manager, and nothing will eliminate someone from consideration for a job than a resume or cover letter full of spelling and grammatical errors. It is a sample of their work, and if it is full of errors, after having all the time they need to proofread it, have someone else proofread it, or even run it through a spell checker, I assume that all of their work will be of similarly poor quality. That may not be true, but I don't have an hour to spend interviewing someone to try and find out why they can't write and spell properly. So, the bottom line is that poor spelling and grammar is something to spend time worrying about. There are very real impacts.
    For something like a job interview or resume, absolutely. For a community forum or everyday life where you don't have a spell/grammar check and time to edit-- not so much.
  • _binary_jester_
    _binary_jester_ Posts: 2,132 Member
    Options
    Some people just suck at grammar and spelling. Some people don't. I don't see the big deal and I'm tired of people always complaining about it! There are better things to spend your time worrying about.
    Nothing wrong with raising the bar.

...and for people who think this is an "attack"...please. Can I move to the land of rainbows and unicorns also?
  • nerdyandilikeit
    nerdyandilikeit Posts: 2,185 Member
    Options

Oh dear. I quit.

I was genuinely curious because looking over my posts, I don't see that sentence anywhere. But very well.

I didn't either. I didn't say that YOU said that. It's the title of the post. Any points I tried to make are relative to the original point.
  • honeysprinkles
    Options
    The problem is people associate good english skills with intelligence. The smartest people I know can't spell very well. The other day my chem professor(graduated from Berkeley) was writing on the board and asked for help on how to spell "precisely" Also one of my math professors who has a PhD in mathematics can't spell worth crap.

Just because you suck at spelling or grammar doesn't mean you're dumb. Just assuming that, is pretty dumb in itself.
    SO agree. There are so many different types of intelligence. I'm not arguing that spelling and proper grammar aren't important, I'm just pointing out that it doesn't mean that you're automatically lazy, stupid, uncaring, etc.
  • Contrarian
    Contrarian Posts: 8,138 Member
    Options
    The point I was trying to make in the blog was simply that people will make assumptions about others. In the absence of having anything to go on other than written language skills, that is what people will be assessed by. Someone with ****ty spelling may be able to speak quite eloquently, but people cannot hear that online.

No one is perfect. Everyone makes errors. Some people have learning disabilities or simply do not have a great aptitude for language. The point is to try to improve and learn from our mistakes, because the way we communicate is very important.
  • pastryari
    Options
    This is an important thing. I am a hiring manager, and nothing will eliminate someone from consideration for a job than a resume or cover letter full of spelling and grammatical errors. It is a sample of their work, and if it is full of errors, after having all the time they need to proofread it, have someone else proofread it, or even run it through a spell checker, I assume that all of their work will be of similarly poor quality. That may not be true, but I don't have an hour to spend interviewing someone to try and find out why they can't write and spell properly. So, the bottom line is that poor spelling and grammar is something to spend time worrying about. There are very real impacts.
    For something like a job interview or resume, absolutely. For a community forum or everyday life where you don't have a spell/grammar check and time to edit-- not so much.

THIS! Exactly.
  • BondBomb
    BondBomb Posts: 1,781 Member
    Options

Since I wrote a lot, I'm not too sure what you're refering to? Where did you say what?
    Where did I mention anything about judging people based on what they write on the internet? I did agree with the blog in that language is important and I stand by that. And since this post is specifically about grammar it would apply here. And I don't recall judging anyone. Simply stating that we are judged based on communication skills. That is a simple fact. Not liking the truth doesn't change it. You seem to have taken my general statement very personally.
  • honeysprinkles
    Options
    I'm an ESL teacher, and it SHOCKS me that native speakers mistake you're/your and their/there/they're.
    That shocks you? They're three words that sound the same, it doesn't surprise me that some people get it confused. I know the difference but that doesn't mean that you won't ever catch me accidentally typing there when I mean their.

Proper grammar comes naturally to some of us, so it's easy to not realize that it really can be a struggle for some people. It doesn't mean that they don't care or that they're stupid and it certainly isn't a reason to start feeling better about yourself.

Why not worry about real problems and not petty things like how someone spells or types...this isn't a classroom.

I'm sorry. We just don't agree on this. When I speak to someone that is well spoken and intelligent it makes me think much more fondly of them than I would otherwise.

I wish so badly that my vernacular was so much better then it is and my grammar was as good as my fathers but sadly it isn't,
    I'd rather talk to a person who is comfortable with their vocabulary and language choice than someone who tries to unnaturally fit "big" words into sentences and sounds awkward. People do that a lot and it always sounds forced. When I'm writing an academic paper, my style and tone is much different than my everyday life so it doesn't look like I'm trying too hard.

I don't think a big vocabulary is the same as correct grammar.
    Not trying to say that it is. She said that she wished her "vernacular" was better. That type of phrasing is sort of what I was referencing when I mentioned using words that don't quite fit in style, the meaning might fit but the style is off so it sounds odd.
  • _binary_jester_
    _binary_jester_ Posts: 2,132 Member
    Options
    The point I was trying to make in the blog was simply that people will make assumptions about others. In the absence of having anything to go on other than written language skills, that is what people will be assessed by. Someone with ****ty spelling may be able to speak quite eloquently, but people cannot hear that online.

No one is perfect. Everyone makes errors. Some people have learning disabilities or simply do not have a great aptitude for language. The point is to try to improve and learn from our mistakes, because the way we communicate is very important.
    As first impression go, how you look can be overcome. What you say leaves an indelible mark.
  • honeysprinkles
    Options
    Nothing wrong with raising the bar.

...and for people who think this is an "attack"...please. Can I move to the land of rainbows and unicorns also?
    Ever consider how rants and judgments like these might feel to people who truly do struggle with grammar and spelling and might be self-conscious about it?
  • TDGee
    TDGee Posts: 2,209 Member
    Options
    I have noticed in this thread a tendency by some to defend a tenuous position. :huh: I really hope you aren't in charge of anything important. Reminds me of Custer at Little Bighorn.
  • yummy♥
    yummy♥ Posts: 612 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure if this is the right place to ask, but does anyone here know how to make a Pine Cone Bird Feeder?
  • honeysprinkles
    Options
    I have noticed in this thread a tendency by some to defend a tenuous position. :huh: I really hope you aren't in charge of anything important. Reminds me of Custer at Little Bighorn.
    what do you mean by "a tendency by some to defend a tenuous position"? Wordy phrasing, but doesn't really say much at all.
  • Krizzle4Rizzle
    Krizzle4Rizzle Posts: 2,704 Member
    Options
    I do struggle with grammar and spelling. I'm not sure why. English was my best subject as a child, but as an adult, I find it slipping away, which is kind of scary. Plus, I am super sensitive about it.
  • Contrarian
    Contrarian Posts: 8,138 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure if this is the right place to ask, but does anyone here know how to make a Pine Cone Bird Feeder?

I DO!

I also know how to make a pirate hat from a folded newspaper. :smile: