Language Does Matter!

Options

Replies

• JDMPWR
    JDMPWR Posts: 1,863 Member
    Options
    I'm an ESL teacher, and it SHOCKS me that native speakers mistake you're/your and their/there/they're.
    That shocks you? They're three words that sound the same, it doesn't surprise me that some people get it confused. I know the difference but that doesn't mean that you won't ever catch me accidentally typing there when I mean their.

Proper grammar comes naturally to some of us, so it's easy to not realize that it really can be a struggle for some people. It doesn't mean that they don't care or that they're stupid and it certainly isn't a reason to start feeling better about yourself.

Why not worry about real problems and not petty things like how someone spells or types...this isn't a classroom.

I'm sorry. We just don't agree on this. When I speak to someone that is well spoken and intelligent it makes me think much more fondly of them than I would otherwise.

I wish so badly that my vernacular was so much better then it is and my grammar was as good as my fathers but sadly it isn't,
  • Yanicka1
    Yanicka1 Posts: 4,564 Member
    Options
    Your brain makes me happy
  • IronmanPanda
    IronmanPanda Posts: 2,083 Member
    Options
    Proper grammar comes naturally to some of us

This simply isn't true. While people may have different capacities for learning, no one was born knowing how to spell or use proper grammar. Words are wonderful tools, and I always appreciate those who make the effort to use them correctly and effectively.

These are elementary grammar issues. Basic english taught in the US grades K-6. There is little to no excuse for these mistakes to continue into adulthood.
  • pastryari
    pastryari Posts: 8,646 Member
    Options
    I'd like to add that even those whose second [or third or fourth] language is English, tend to speak it more properly than those born here.

LOL. That's a joke.
    I don't think that was a joke at all. Many people who learn English as a second or third or fourth language don't take it for granted and actually care about getting it right. They wouldn't argue that it's not important.

That's the beauty, it's YOUR opinion. I happen to think that was a joke because I have not found it to not be true at all. I'm glad that since English is my first language it means that I take it for granted and don't care about getting it right. Seriously, talk about a generalization.
  • Farfourah
    Farfourah Posts: 899 Member
    Options
    Language evolves, deal with it.
  • MrsCon40
    MrsCon40 Posts: 2,351 Member
    Options
    Some people just suck at grammar and spelling. Some people don't. I don't see the big deal and I'm tired of people always complaining about it! There are better things to spend your time worrying about.

Well if they suck then there is just no point in trying to improve.

*head desk*
  • BondBomb
    BondBomb Posts: 1,781 Member
    Options
    Proper grammar comes naturally to some of us

This simply isn't true. While people may have different capacities for learning, no one was born knowing how to spell or use proper grammar. Words are wonderful tools, and I always appreciate those who make the effort to use them correctly and effectively.

These are elementary grammar issues. Basic english taught in the US grades K-6. There is little to no excuse for these mistakes to continue into adulthood.
    I agree. I find it difficult to take someone seriously when I have to translate poor grammar and spelling. These are basic skills.
  • nerdyandilikeit
    nerdyandilikeit Posts: 2,185 Member
    Options
    I happen to think that was a joke because I have not found it to not be true at all.

So, you DO think it's true. Double negative. Woops.
  • MrsCon40
    MrsCon40 Posts: 2,351 Member
    Options
    My personal opinion is that those born to the "texting generation" are losing their ability to write/read/speak properly. Shorthand may work for texting and even personal email, but at some point these boys and girls will be expected to join the working class. May as well practice proper written skills now rather than trying to figure out why they couldn't even get an interview because of a poorly written resume/application/cover letter.

Like, fer realz!

My 12 year old daughter texts in complete, gramatically correct sentences. She makes fun of her friends that don't.

There IS hope for the future, although you probably will not find it in this thread.
  • RocketsGirl
    RocketsGirl Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    Your brain makes me happy

^^ this! Contrarian's brain is a wonder. :bigsmile:
  • BondBomb
    Options
    I happen to think that was a joke because I have not found it to not be true at all.

Exactly. Now the intended meaning of her statement has changed. Why don't people get this?
  • pastryari
    Options

Hm. Do you feel superior to everyone else now that you have pointed out a typo? Seriously, this just proves that people are just TRYING to find something wrong with others. Someone makes a typo or has a brain fart and suddenly they are cast into that group of people that can't spell or use proper grammar. Get over yourselves.
  • BondBomb
    Options
    And also where do you draw the line as to what is important?
    If language skills are not then what about math skills? Is it important to add, subtract and divide?
    I am sure people don't just flub the numbers when looking at their bank statements. Or maybe they do.
  • pastryari
    Options

Exactly. Now the intended meaning of her statement has changed. Why don't people get this?

Yes, I made a typo and now the whole world is going to end because you're on the internet and making an assumption from a typo. Hmm, what's that saying about assumptions.........
  • Just_Dot
    Just_Dot Posts: 2,289 Member
    Options
    I'm an ESL teacher, and it SHOCKS me that native speakers mistake you're/your and their/there/they're.
    That shocks you? They're three words that sound the same, it doesn't surprise me that some people get it confused. I know the difference but that doesn't mean that you won't ever catch me accidentally typing there when I mean their.

Proper grammar comes naturally to some of us, so it's easy to not realize that it really can be a struggle for some people. It doesn't mean that they don't care or that they're stupid and it certainly isn't a reason to start feeling better about yourself.

Why not worry about real problems and not petty things like how someone spells or types...this isn't a classroom.

Despite the fact that they are three words that sound the same (they're called "homophones") they have three different and very distinct meanings and they are not interchangeable. So, really, it is sad and wrong that people get them confused.

They're=a contraction for "they are"
    Their=plural possessive
    There=a place, direction

It's really not that difficult--however, I find myself teaching and re-teaching my 6th grade students these (and other homophones and how to properly use an apostrophe) every.single.year.
  • Chagama
    Chagama Posts: 543 Member
    Options
    Some people just suck at grammar and spelling. Some people don't. I don't see the big deal and I'm tired of people always complaining about it! There are better things to spend your time worrying about.
    This is an important thing. I am a hiring manager, and nothing will eliminate someone from consideration for a job than a resume or cover letter full of spelling and grammatical errors. It is a sample of their work, and if it is full of errors, after having all the time they need to proofread it, have someone else proofread it, or even run it through a spell checker, I assume that all of their work will be of similarly poor quality. That may not be true, but I don't have an hour to spend interviewing someone to try and find out why they can't write and spell properly. So, the bottom line is that poor spelling and grammar is something to spend time worrying about. There are very real impacts.
  • _SusieQ_
    _SusieQ_ Posts: 2,964 Member
    Options
    My personal opinion is that those born to the "texting generation" are losing their ability to write/read/speak properly. Shorthand may work for texting and even personal email, but at some point these boys and girls will be expected to join the working class. May as well practice proper written skills now rather than trying to figure out why they couldn't even get an interview because of a poorly written resume/application/cover letter.

Like, fer realz!

My 12 year old daughter texts in complete, gramatically correct sentences. She makes fun of her friends that don't.

There IS hope for the future, although you probably will not find it in this thread.

My 15 year old niece does as well, but after reading some of her texts and Facebook posts from friends, it's very obvious she is in the minority. It makes me worry a bit for many of that generation when they hit college. They might be in for a surprise.
  • BondBomb
    Options

Yes, I made a typo and now the whole world is going to end because you're on the internet and making an assumption from a typo. Hmm, what's that saying about assumptions.........
    It wasn't a typo, it was a grammatical error. I make them all of the time. Humans are flawed and have room for improvement. I personally would prefer someone to point it out to me. Maybe I don't know any better. Maybe I have been using a word in the wrong way. The bottom line is that you are judged by what you say. Even in writing. You don't have to like it. In fact you can continue to be defensive about it. Although I am not sure why. I would rather grow and improve. It seems more productive that* getting angry.

*than - see that was a typo!:flowerforyou:
  • JDMPWR
    Options

Hm. Do you feel superior to everyone else now that you have pointed out a typo? Seriously, this just proves that people are just TRYING to find something wrong with others. Someone makes a typo or has a brain fart and suddenly they are cast into that group of people that can't spell or use proper grammar. Get over yourselves.

If you never look at things with a perspective of what I can do to better myself I take it then you must be on MFP to post on the forum purely for fun and not how can I better my health, well health is not just a physical aspect of life. You picking up what I'm putting down?
  • JDMPWR
    Options

Despite the fact that they are three words that sound the same (they're called "homophones") they have three different and very distinct meanings and they are not interchangeable. So, really, it is sad and wrong that people get them confused.

They're=a contraction for "they are"
    Their=plural possessive
    There=a place, direction

It's really not that difficult--however, I find myself teaching and re-teaching my 6th grade students these (and other homophones and how to properly use an apostrophe) every.single.year.

This. <3. I catch myself having to use definitions to find out which word to use sometimes.