Horrible things your parents did to you

Options

Replies

• KellyKAG
    KellyKAG Posts: 418
    Options
    My father was a carpenter so if it got broken it was replaced/fixed with wood. His truck had a piece of plywood in the back instead of a window (broken with baseball by brother) the center console was made out of wood. The door got broken and wouldnt latch after my brother backed into a tree stump so it had a bungee cord. whenever you would take a turn the door would open a little and the bungee would pull it back closed. Loved getting dropped of at school in this beast. :embarassed:
  • smantha32
    smantha32 Posts: 6,990 Member
    Options
    My parents rented the movie "It" when I was a little kid. I snuck out to the top of the stairway and watched some of it (It was a perfect view of the living room tv.). Of course I thought it was terribly scary. I thought I was smooth, and slipped back in bed. Didn't think my parents noticed I had been up there watching. I woke up in the middle of the night to see a clown head "floating" by my bedside. Then the walkie talkies in my room crackled to life in the darkness saying "Come down here where everything floats" in a creepy voice. I was TERRIFIED.

My dad had crawled under my bed while I was asleep...I had this bank that looked like a clown, and to get the money out you had to take the head off. He had taken the head off, stuck it on the end of a pencil and was "floating" it next to the bed in the dark.

I never, ever snuck out to my "hiding spot" to watch movies after bedtime again. I'm also still terrified of clowns.

That was the only book I ever read that scared me so much I had to read it only during the daytime. lol
  • smantha32
    Options
    geez where do I start? lol

We'd get beaten in public with a wooden spoon.

I am also in that club with you other lucky people whos mom made their clothes. I had to wear homemade clothes made from 1970's patterns up to about 1983.

When I was 10 my mom gave my cat away when I was at school. I cried for about 3 days.

My step dad would go out hunting squirrels and doves, and they'd cook it up and tell us we were eating the family cat.. trauma I tell you!

My mom would go to school events with me and talk to boys I had secret crushes on, in a very familiar way, like I was already dating them or something. The embarrassment.

And these are just the ones I can think of now.

oh I almost forgot about having to wear the colored 70's corderoy pants out of goodwill boxes. The person earlier who was talking about leg rashes from those things? i hear yah.
  • paigemarie93
    paigemarie93 Posts: 778 Member
    Options
    Growing up, my mom was pretty prim and proper. My father on the other hand, was a total dork.

When I was probably about 11, I went to visit my dad and step mom in the states. We stayed at a Hotel and I forgot to bring any of my bras. So my step mom and I went out and bought a couple of those white ones that have the triangular cups. No big deal... Well, we go to check out of the Hotel once we were done our weekend stay, and I'm standing around while my step mom is dealing with the reception dude. Out of no where, from down the other side of the lobby I hear, "Hey Emma! Did you make sure you didn't forget anything in the room?!" I'm just like, "Yeah..." Please note, there are QUITE a few people in the lobby, it is so far from being empty. My dad says, "Are you sure?!" "Yeah..." At this point I'm starting to get a little worried. And finally, "WELL, I FOUND YOUR BRAZIER IN THE BATHROOM!!!" Not, "bra" but "brazier". And flings the pathetic little bra over towards me. I was so mortified.

omg, I would have died.
  • smantha32
    Options
    Well I was a hard core tomboy growing up and my mother hated it..... Until I was about 12 everything she bought me was either pink frilly or sparlky...... She sure had a heart attack when I got money for my 12 birthday and went shopping. I came home with Jincos metallica shirts and star wars stuff. Needless to say it was an ongoing battle til I moved out lol:bigsmile: and to this day I still wont wear pink

I LOVE pink.. but honestly I'd wear the Metallica shirt with pink accessories. :smile:
  • paigemarie93
    paigemarie93 Posts: 778 Member
    Options
    I had a short back & sides hair cut in primary school, I used to get asked why I was wearing a skirt if I was a boy :sad:
  • redfroggie
    redfroggie Posts: 591 Member
    Options
    My Mom sewed all my clothes till I was 12. She made matching outfits for the both of us and then allowed my Dad to photograph it and then we would go out in public.

I remember at one point at around 13 wanting a pair of cowboy boots. I was a huge tomboy and thought they would be the coolest. So my Mom being the very practical woman that she was bought me cowboy style boots. Oh and they were rubber! She thought I would look stylish and keep my feet dry at the same time. They were horrific! They made this awful squeak when you walked in them and they were so shiny. Just to make matters worse, she bought my brother a matching pair.

My Dad was a character! Oh pity the person that was with him when he returned something at a store. If it was defective or just didn't do what he wanted he let everyone know. No one ever wanted to go with him. Nevermind that he would wear his house slippers because he didn't want to waste time putting shoes on!
    One summer we were having a BBQ and he said I could invite my boyfriend. I should have known better! This was the 80's and my boyfriend was in a metal band. So he had longish hair and wore an earring. He shows up and I take him outside to introduce him to my Dad. My Dad looks at the guy and asks him how long has he been a girl!! Needless to say my boyfriend left.

Both my parents are gone now, I miss them!

I now freely torture and torment my children.
  • gibbyup
    Options
    Too many to recount, but here's one... we were a large family with a small income so she sewed much of our clothing. Everyone knew the Andrews kids were related - we had matching outfits. But hey, I rocked those red denim bell bottomed hip huggers!

This is too funny. My maiden name was Andrews and my mom made alot of our clothes, our doll clothes and even our barbie doll clothes. We were the Andrews Sisters (4 of us)! Fantastic smock with matching bell bottoms along with the poncho! Then there was the body suit and bell bottom white hip huggers... I was a "cool cat" in that outfit! LOL!!!!!!

Hey, we were the Andrews Sisters too (3 of us) and not a one of us can carry a tune. Oh, and my mom made our doll and barbie clothes and even taught us how to do the same. Here I thought we were unique!
  • hellraisedfire
    hellraisedfire Posts: 403 Member
    Options
    my mom and I didn't have a very good relationship in my teenage years, but I don't blame her. my dad died when I was a child and when you're young you can't comprehend how difficult that is on your mom, let alone how difficult that really is on yourself. so instead of *****ing about your mom, I'll give the funniest story I have from us.

Me: "Mom, can I go to the circus with *insert best friend's name here*" **keep in mind I hung out with him very often and she had no problem with it, so this was an odd reaction for her..."
    Mom: "No!"
    Me: "I... WHY?"
    Mom: "I just don't want you to go!"
    Me: "WHY NOT?! The circus is only here for one more night!!"
    Mom: "The weather is supposed to be bad tomorrow, I don't want him driving in it!!"
    Me: "MOM, he's going ANYWAY, I WANT TO GO!!!"
    Mom: "NO, you can't go!"
    Me: "Why does the weather being bad TOMORROW affect me TODAY?!!!"
    Mom: "IT JUST DOES!!"
    Me: "FINE! LEAVE ME ALONE!!!"
    *I go into my room, lock door, sneak out window, go to circus*

so I am proud to say, I am one of the few children who have actually run off to the circus in their childhood! :D
  • scs143
    scs143 Posts: 2,190 Member
    Options
    My parents managed reggae bands. My mom dressed way to sexy and all my guy friends wanted to have sex with her. They smoked weed until I was 20. They went to nude beaches.

Now I realize that this made them the coolest parents ever. But at the time... it all just felt wrong.
  • boomboom011
    boomboom011 Posts: 1,459
    Options
    Every time my grand ma would make matching dresses and bonnets for me and my sister who is 4 yrs younger than me my mother would make us dress up and take us to Kmart to get our pictures taken.

Imagine a 5'7" 8th grader having to go it public with her 10 yr old sister in matching strawberry shortcake dresses and bonnets.

OMG i just snorted!

My parents did the following to me!
    I was 15 years old and going to Kmart was the worst thing on the planet at that time and once again we all got dressed up for the portrait studio at Kmart! Well after it was all said and done, my step-father went to the front of the store and had me paged over the intercom. Needless to say, i still hate him lol
  • boomboom011
    Options
    Honestly, I can only think of a few things, and most of them were my dad. I love that man, but sometimes he was just to open for his own good I think. LOL

- I remember when I was in grade school he brought in a moving box full little debbie treats, which to a bunch of 10 year olds was awesome....then I got home, to find out he got hem out of a dumpster behind a Safeway. X.X Yep... His reasoning was "They were just throwing them away because they were one day past the sell by date, that means they are still good"

-One time, when I was maybe 12, he was working on his car and I was helping him. He took out some petroleum jelly to lube up a part, and then somehow got onto the subject of how you should never let a guy have sex with you up your butt, because its disrespectful. Yes, my dad had this conversation with me when I was that young...I think I might be a little traumatized and that's why I can't forget it.

O-M-G i just snorted again! These stories are awesome!
  • rjmwx81
    rjmwx81 Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    When I turned 7 years old, my Dad thought it would be a good time to teach me to be a gracious host (over my Mom's objections). So, at my birthday party, I, the birthday boy, had to go last at every game we played, and I didn't even get the first piece of cake. So I did what any 7 year old would do; I threw a massive fit.

Dad got angry, of course, and told me that if I didn't shape up, he'd send all my friends home. I looked him straight in the eye and said "Good, you better do that before you give them my presents."

Mom pulled a couple of muscles she was laughing so hard.
  • boomboom011
    Options
    My mom used to put pigtails in my hair and "drive" me around the house for her own amusement. Also, she would make me sing "On the good ship Lollipop" every time I wanted a snack. Once, I snuck a popsicle out of the freezer and ate it without asking permission and when she confronted my brother and I about who ate it, she told us she would bring the stick (that she had pulled out of the trash can) to the police and have them finger print it. I ended up telling the truth out of fear of a criminal record.

My father would chase us kids around the house and play "tickle monster". I frequently was tickled excessively until I inevitably peed my pants. He never learned his lesson. Also, my parents could be found "tailgating" out of the back of their station wagon during any soccer or baseball game my brother or I participated in.

My father once dressed up as "Captain Fudgie" for halloween. This costume entailed him wearing a pair of tighty whitey underpants over his jeans. The "fudgie" part of the costume was a thick long streak of brown shoe polish up the back of those underpants. I will never forget that sight.

My parent's had "nicknames" for my brother an I growing up. He was referred to as "Monkey Paws". I was in turn referred to as "Puffin Toots". They would call us by our "nicknames" in public whenever possible, trying to embarrass us for their own pleasure. To this day, they still call my brother "Officer Monkey Paws", now that he is a state trooper.

I could probably go on...but I wont. Child torture is definitely genetic though, I can tell you that.

Im cackling and about to pee my pants at work! WINNER IN MY BOOK!
  • 2fat4love
    Options
    I love your parents can i borrow them?
  • kimmieey
    Options
    My mom told me that she raised me to be "neurotic trailer trash" in front of a house full of my friends.

I got the fitness shoes that help work out tour legs when you walk and was so excites I took a picture of them and posted it on Facebook and she comment "god! That will work out your legs now you need to get busy on that muffin top!"
  • judith3
    judith3 Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    When I turned 7 years old, my Dad thought it would be a good time to teach me to be a gracious host (over my Mom's objections). So, at my birthday party, I, the birthday boy, had to go last at every game we played, and I didn't even get the first piece of cake. So I did what any 7 year old would do; I threw a massive fit.

Dad got angry, of course, and told me that if I didn't shape up, he'd send all my friends home. I looked him straight in the eye and said "Good, you better do that before you give them my presents."

Mom pulled a couple of muscles she was laughing so hard.

I literally just cried laughing at this!!!
  • gibbyup
    Options
    Seriously, thank you for such an entertaining topic! So many laughs ... I thought of another:

I must have been about 6 or 7 and got a splinter in one of my fingers and refused to let my dad take it out. He was brandishing a HUGE needle and some thread and he made me cry (I still hate needles). So he told me, "Fine, but when you go to bed tonight the splinter is going to spread and you better hope you don't wake up turned to wood." I went to bed with the splinter but coudln't sleep. I still remember getting out of bed eventually and going out to where he was sitting on the porch to ask him to please take the splinter out so I didn't turn to wood. After he finished I could hear him and my mom cracking up.
  • erzsebet_1560
    Options
    My Dad use to spank us with this thick elephant skin belt. On time when I was really horrible he had me stand up for it..he accidentally let go of the buckle side and that damn thing wrap around my waist. I had a bruise for weeks. He felt more horrible about it, and I still tease him to this day. Maybe tha's why no matter how chubby I get, my waist is little! LOL
  • MattODriscoll
    MattODriscoll Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Seriously, thank you for such an entertaining topic! So many laughs ... I thought of another:

I must have been about 6 or 7 and got a splinter in one of my fingers and refused to let my dad take it out. He was brandishing a HUGE needle and some thread and he made me cry (I still hate needles). So he told me, "Fine, but when you go to bed tonight the splinter is going to spread and you better hope you don't wake up turned to wood." I went to bed with the splinter but coudln't sleep. I still remember getting out of bed eventually and going out to where he was sitting on the porch to ask him to please take the splinter out so I didn't turn to wood. After he finished I could hear him and my mom cracking up.

Now that is a funny story. Dad's don't know how scary this stuff can be.

When i was 6 or 7 my Dad was cleaning my ears with cotton buds one night after bath time and pulled out a massive carrot and said i need to wash my ears more, I believed him of course ;)