Gym Pet Peeves?

Options
Okay, so we all have to exercise and the one place that we all go to is the gym.........whether its at home.........whether its a public place.........ect..........and the one thing that is always a factor in all of this is that people can and will do things at the gym that you have an issue with. So, what are your pet peeves?

Mine? Mine are talking on the phone while you are next to someone else or in the same row as someone else. Yes, phones are convienant and yes, you need to have them for emergencies or if someone is sick and someone calls you to let you in on the latest even when working out..........but honestly, do you absolutely have to chit chat on the phone in front of God and everyone and MAKE them hear your latest gossip if that's all there is?

Also, blowing your nose or coughing into your workout towel that the gym provides.......can we say EWWWW? If you are sick......STAY HOME!! If you are well, but have allergies, carry kleenex........I promise you, there is a place to put the dirty ones after they are used because you can..........and should........clean your machine after use.

Oh, and a sub-pet peeve that goes along with the last one...........not cleaning your machine off. Granted, I myself usually don't use the chemical-soaked wipes for cleaning off the machines sometimes..........but I at least wipe it with my workout towel that I don't use at all until I am done with the machine, have a chance to wipe it clean, and then that's when I use it.......but just going off the machine to another without wiping it down is just rude......

Replies

• KJVBear33
    Options
    Bump!
  • cekeys
    cekeys Posts: 397 Member
    Options
    Oh, and a sub-pet peeve that goes along with the last one...........not cleaning your machine off. Granted, I myself usually don't use the chemical-soaked wipes for cleaning off the machines sometimes..........but I at least wipe it with my workout towel that I don't use at all until I am done with the machine, have a chance to wipe it clean, and then that's when I use it.......but just going off the machine to another without wiping it down is just rude......

^^This^^

However, I do wipe mine down with the disinfectant BEFORE & AFTER I workout. I don't know if the person before me cleaned it or not, so I'd rather no risk it and I don't want to be rude to the next person to use the equipment.
  • wellbert
    wellbert Posts: 3,924 Member
    Options
    I hate when people use their nasty workout towel to wipe machines down (in reality, just smearing their sweat around) instead of the fresh paper towel + disinfectant spray.
  • KJVBear33
    Options
    I hate when people use their nasty workout towel to wipe machines down (in reality, just smearing their sweat around) instead of the fresh paper towel + disinfectant spray.

Ha ha!! Okay....well, I will keep that in mind the next time I even think about doing that..........*sheepish grin*.......figured that if I didn't use the towel until I was absolutely done with my machine, that the towel would still be considered "clean" and therefore, no smearing of my own sweat around........but when you really think about it, you are right!
  • carlie_carl
    Options
    No disrespect, but who carries disinfectant around at a gym? lol. surely carrying wipes and sprays is abit over the top? abt of water and paper towels that most gyms dispense is fine by me,

My biggest hate is people who go in large groups (mainly rugby and footballers at my gym) who take over all the benches, stand around talking and intimidating novice gym members in the weights area, Im not intimidated by these people but a year ago I would have been and they stare like they are a higher class trainer than everyone else, I hate those type of people. no consideration for others. may just be my gym that though, I may need to change gyms lol
  • seanian
    seanian Posts: 103
    Options
    It's really mainly a seasonal thing, but right after new years and shortly before summer when people pile into the gym and take leisurely strolls on the treadmills while casually reading a magazine. Luckily they are usually all gone by mid february or by then they have decided to stick with it and actually try jogging.
  • ansonrinesmith
    ansonrinesmith Posts: 755 Member
    Options
    I always clean the machine BEFORE and after I use it. I assume the person before me didn't.
    Even though the gym I go to has employees that go by and clean empty machines, I still take my safety into my own hands.
  • morgansmom02
    morgansmom02 Posts: 1,139 Member
    Options
    Don't all gyms provide disinfectant and paper towels? I always wipe mine down!

The teenage girls at the gym annoy me the most.
  • hlandry6
    hlandry6 Posts: 230
    Options
    When people go as groups to the gym and instead of concentrating they are talking to each other in a loud voice ><
  • Jipples
    Jipples Posts: 663 Member
    Options
    I hate the obnoxious grunter and growlers with a passion.
  • johnsonje82
    johnsonje82 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    When people go as groups to the gym and instead of concentrating they are talking to each other in a loud voice ><

Add to that when they sit around on a particular piece of equipment and chat....about how they were 'in shape' back in the day or blah blah blah......How about you get done and move on. HATE IT
  • carts1179
    carts1179 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    when someone is walking down the isle of treadmills and 'crop dusts' the entire line :laugh:
  • MattBoySlim
    MattBoySlim Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    People just wondering around aimlessly watching everyone else.

People just sitting on the weight benches taking 5 min breaks between sets.

People reading newspapers on cardio machines.

Sometimes I wonder why these guys even go to the gym, well actually I know its just for something to do and have a bit of a perve..

Overall People in general.

Surprisingly though, fit people i find quite motivating, just lazy people in the gym get on my nerves, better to do a solid hour then spend 3hrs moping around.
  • deninevi
    deninevi Posts: 934 Member
    Options

Add to that when they sit around on a particular piece of equipment and chat....about how they were 'in shape' back in the day or blah blah blah......How about you get done and move on. HATE IT

^^^this one and when people don't take the plates off.
  • KJVBear33
    Options
    It's really mainly a seasonal thing, but right after new years and shortly before summer when people pile into the gym and take leisurely strolls on the treadmills while casually reading a magazine. Luckily they are usually all gone by mid february or by then they have decided to stick with it and actually try jogging.

Totally understand this one..........but.........not all people can jog. Yes, everyone has the skill to jog, but not all are physically fit to do it. I myself am getting to the point where I can actually go for 5 minutes at a 3.5 speed without stopping, but I am not there yet. I DO get what you are saying though..........if you are taking the time to be on a machine like that, actually LOOK like you are giving a damn about your health instead of taking a slow walk on a treadmill.

Then again.........there ARE people at the gym that DO have issues with knees and/or legs.........that may need to stroll instead of walk because their bodies won't let them do anything else but that.
  • johnsonje82
    Options

^^^this one and when people don't take the plates off.

I'm guilty of leaving 'singles' on a bench. (135. lbs) No more than that though.
  • johnsonje82
    Options
    when someone is walking down the isle of treadmills and 'crop dusts' the entire line :laugh:

F'n Hilarious!
  • Alacey88
    Alacey88 Posts: 487 Member
    Options

I have one group that does this and what really annoys me the most about this group is that they use the stalls to change into workout clothes and then work out for about 15 mins then leaves the gym....

It seems that every time I go to the gym at any time--- they are there.....
  • KJVBear33
    Options
    People just wondering around aimlessly watching everyone else.

People just sitting on the weight benches taking 5 min breaks between sets.

People reading newspapers on cardio machines.

Sometimes I wonder why these guys even go to the gym, well actually I know its just for something to do and have a bit of a perve..

Overall People in general.

Surprisingly though, fit people i find quite motivating, just lazy people in the gym get on my nerves, better to do a solid hour then spend 3hrs moping around.

Very true.........3 hours moping around, sitting down and not doing anything.........totally understand.........but some people who do reps and then wait for 5 minutes before doing another really doesn't bother me one bit. It would, mind you, if they were unaware of the others waiting for that bench to do a set themselves. Now see, if I decided to wait it out a while, I'd look around to see if there was anyone waiting for whatever I was using........let them use it if need be........and come back to it later.
  • jessihoover
    Options
    Girls in Zumba class who "travel" the floor like the own the place! They don't use their built in "rear view mirrors" when they move around and just assume that everyone will move for them. Lady you are in my personal space!! Look around you! Be considerate of others people!!