Replies

• ScarletFyre
    ScarletFyre Posts: 754 Member
    Options
    I LOVE YOUR POST! :-)
  • TripleJ3
    TripleJ3 Posts: 945 Member
    Options
    I really like this quote by J.K. Rowling. Short of health reasons, I wish being overweight wasn't such a negative thing. I am within my healthy BMI but I am at an awkward in between size that I am uncomfortable with. I was more comfortable and self-confident when I was larger!

" Is being fat really the worst thing a human being can be? Is fat worse than vindictive, jealous, shallow, vain, boring evil or cruel? Not to me." -J.K. Rowling
  • leanmachinedream
    Options
    Meat is for men, bones are for dogs.........women were meant to have curves not look like a half-starved 10 year old children.

I love this!!! sounds like something my husband would say!

So let's not fat hate but the women who are skinny with bones are allowed to be chewed up by dogs because they're not attractive?

Bravo on your logic fail. I'm glad my significant other isn't so damn stupid to think it's okay to judge any woman on her body type.

I get your need to vent but "haters"...are you in high school? If someone on here is giving you problems, message them privately. Making a long rant about haters and how "a bigger size is a bigger prize" is just silly.
  • AbbyCar
    AbbyCar Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    I think everyone is taking the poem to literally.
    I think the point is that people can be mean, no matter what size you are. I've seen people picked on because they were heavy(myself included) and I've seen people picked on because they were really thin. Some people are haters through and through and if they're not hating on your weight, then they will hate on your hair or teeth or the clothes you wear. The moral of the poem--Be happy with who you are. This doesn't mean that you cannot work to improve yourself. Do I tell myself, "Self, you can't love yourself today, but when you lose 20 pounds(get a better job, boyfriend, car...) then it's okay." ABSOLUTELY NOT!

Kudos for you for being self confident AND trying to improve yourself! AND, hello, 66 pound weight loss!!!! You rock!
  • christibam
    christibam Posts: 478 Member
    Options
    This whole time I thought the OP wrote this poem herself. :\

It originally used the term plus sized, rather than thick apparently. I think that's a better term for it.
  • zombilishious
    zombilishious Posts: 1,250 Member
    Options
    but what the F do you say if she has a cute face?

Just tell her she's beautiful!!!! It's what every woman needs to hear on a daily basis!
  • servilia
    servilia Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    Ok what the heck does it mean to "HAVE MORE PULL"?
  • christibam
    Options
    Ok what the heck does it mean to "HAVE MORE PULL"?

More gravitational pull?

(I'm sorry. I had to.)
  • nataliefallbach
    Options
    Great poem! And Some women are curvy and a size 10 looks damn good on them. Skinny DOES not always mean healthy! Being healthy and strong is sexy, not everyone has to have a Brittney Spears body, nor is it attainable for everyone without plastic surgery. Good for you, keep up the good work and set realistic healthy goals for you and your body type. We do not all have to look like cookie cutter barbie dolls!
  • SwindonJogger
    SwindonJogger Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    to post that poem without attributing the origin is disrespectful OP, a lot of the posters here thought you came up with the words.
    It's common etiquette when cutting and pasting someone elses work to acknowledge it.

I believe the original came from http://lookatmycurves.tumblr.com/.
  • christibam
    Options
    to post that poem without attributing the origin is disrespectful OP, a lot of the posters here thought you came up with the words.

That's what I was thinking and why I said something. I don't know the first origin but I did a google search of the entire thing and 18,800 pages came up with different variations of it.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    Meat is for men, bones are for dogs.........women were meant to have curves not look like a half-starved 10 year old children.

So let's not fat hate but the women who are skinny with bones are allowed to be chewed up by dogs because they're not attractive?

Bravo on your logic fail. ..........

Haters gonna hate.......

No one has suggested (especially me) that skinny women should be chewed up by dogs it's a humorous meme.

If you look at the body image that's promoted by Hollywood & the fashion industry it's not hard to see why so many young girls have eating disorders and distorted body images. Just look at what was considered beautiful before Twiggy arrived on the scene - I believe the word is voluptuous.

Overeating is another form of eating disorder and equally unhealthy however contrary to popular belief it is possible to have a BMI that's considered higher than ideal and be healthy (blood pressure, lipids, insulin resistance etc) by being active.

Thanks for the high school reference........I suspect I graduated before the vast majority of MFP members were even born! LOL
  • MissAlexxMarie
    Options
    Nobody really has "haters". Why does everybody feel that they're hated on because someone doesn't like the way you look? Jeeze, there's a difference between, curvey, skinny, and just plain obese. When you're curvey you're still in your BMI...not over it. Just saying. Stay healthy, sometimes curvey is your healthy. But being obese is never. So lets get serious, nobody has haters...it's just a matter of personal opinion. You can get judged for being skinny just as much as when you're "fat". Men have their preference in women, some like their women thicker and some don't....so it all has to do with what a man wants in his woman....not with how you look. If you have confidence, it shows!
  • capricorn0120
    capricorn0120 Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    Very well said
    :smile:
  • sexforjaffacakes
    sexforjaffacakes Posts: 1,001 Member
    Options
    This whole time I thought the OP wrote this poem herself. :\

It originally used the term plus sized, rather than thick apparently. I think that's a better term for it.

haha, I know right? First of all, it doesn't sound attractive - and am I the only one who doesn't think it even sounds curvy? You describe someones body as thick and just think of like a big thick tree trunk or something. Straight up and down and...well, thick!

Also is the OP aware that "thick" means stupid in a lot of English speaking countries?
  • sexforjaffacakes
    sexforjaffacakes Posts: 1,001 Member
    Options

Bravo on your logic fail. ..........

Haters gonna hate.......

No one has suggested (especially me) that skinny women should be chewed up by dogs it's a humorous meme.

Thanks for the high school reference........I suspect I graduated before the vast majority of MFP members were even born! LOL

Sorry, can't stop laughing at the incorrect use of the word meme. And the highschool reference? I think it makes it WORSE that you're so old you graduate highschool years ago, and yet still sound like a 15 year old in the internet. Seriously, sounding like a teenager when you're in your 50s or whatever is worse than sounding like a teenager if you're in your early 20s or something.
    Also, it's not humorous, it's just offensive to skinny chicks. Belittling skinny girls in order to make fat girls feel better about themselves aint cool.
    I get the point that the media are c**ts and are forever pushing skinny girls, but bashing out at skinny girls in favour of fat girls doesn't solve the problem. Here's a good phrase for you! "Two wrongs don't make a right,"
  • mandy_lee86
    mandy_lee86 Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    There is nothing wrong with curvy, but there is a lot wrong with being rolly. A lot of healthy women have curves. But, from reading posts here it seems like each woman has a different definition of being curvy. I am fighting to lose everything that is associated with being overweight and wouldn't mind kicking the word "curvy" into the dirt... Why be here if that isn't your goal?
  • rjmwx81
    rjmwx81 Posts: 259 Member
    Options

I do see 'big' women modeling. I see big and HEALTHY women modeling though. Lane Bryant, what? Many big women simply do not possess the confidence and physical maintenance it requires to model. Would I want to see a size 24 woman modeling? Hell to the **** no with that ****. I see being that big as an addiction to food and to a sedentary lifestyle. Any person that says, "Oh, I eat totally healthy and exercise" and they are 300lbs and have stayed right there for years of their supposed being healthy is lying.

People don't get to be morbidly obese by being a health nut. They get there by giving up on themselves. It's up to each person to find their own strength to say NO! It's NOT okay to be that big. It's NOT okay to engorge yourself and it's NOT okay to say it's okay. If that's how someone wants to live their own life, that's fine. But to glorify it, to me, is the same as to glorify a crackhead due to the addictive properties here.

citizen_cane.gif

This is exactly what I was trying to say. The OP's poem is the kind of rationalization that many overweight people (not just women!) come up with. I had the same manner of thinking for YEARS. I wasted my teens and twenties being fat and thinking to myself, "well, it's okay because 'I'm good enough, I'm smart enough, and gosh darn it people like me.'" Or some variation thereof. There are entire websites devoted to the idea that "big is beautiful" and the aforementioned "real women have curves." It's all just rationalization for laziness, lack of self-control, and an unwillingness to change (except for the *extremely* small portion of the population that has legitimate medical conditions causing obesity. A few people do have legitimate thyroid problems...many more have Big Mac problems.)

I know, I know, I'm still overweight and it's like I'm living in a glass house and throwing stones but...well, it took me 15 years to figure it out and get my mindset right for getting healthy. And now, when I see people thinking the way I used to, it makes me rage.
  • yoovie
    yoovie Posts: 17,121 Member
    Options
    smaller framed people have to deal with embarassing issues too.

always being thought of as frail fragile or weak
    or young, immature and breakable
    uptight, childish, cute but never sexy,
    being called sticks and bones and chew toys for dogs,
    being called a 12 year old boy
    a prepubescent disgrace
    a sorry version of being a woman
    jailbait wannabe

its the weak part of the assumptions that hurts most thin girls that I know

at least when you have weight - people dont automatically think you are too fragile to take care of yourself, right?
  • MissAlexxMarie
    Options
    Everybody is beautiful in their own way. But being stuck and thinking that people put you down because you're "big" is wrong. At the same time, the person that did post this is bashing on "skinny" girls as well. So who are you to say that people shouldn't judge you but yet you're doing the same. Take matters into your own hands and be healthy...not "skinny".