Dr. Phil - Open Marriage

Options

Replies

• kbw414
    kbw414 Posts: 194
    Options
    There is a huge difference love and wanting to have sex with someone. People sometimes cannot separate these things. It's entirely possible, if not normal, to find someone that you completely connect with on every level. Physical, emotional, intellectual, etc. etc. This is the person you get together with, who you marry and have a life with. But that doesn't mean you don't ever feel sexually attracted to others. This is where the open relationship comes in, if you and your partner want to experiment with sleeping with others that doesn't mean you love each other any less, it just means you're human. It's not for everybody, but do not judge it because you don't understand it.

And when and if you fall in love with one of your partners? What then?
  • hdroddy
    hdroddy Posts: 122
    Options
    You know, being unaccepting of those who are OK or IN Open Marriages is (in my book) right up there with those that are unaccepting of gays, other skin colors, other cultures, or other religions. I mean, I have my limits - Pedofilia, necrophilia, rape (etc), but in the scheme of life, this is a non-issue. I can "Live and let live" as far as this one is concerned.

Too right. There are too many personal attacks on here. Very disturbing. If you think someone is wrong, why can't you discuss it without getting ugly?

So just because you don't agree with open marriages, you're on the same level as a racist? Oh my:noway:

In my book, yes. People that are judgmental towards others are the same people that are usually discriminatory by nature also.

Open mind = open heart. Closed mind = closed heart

I personally don't agree with Open Marriage & I am strictly against racism/ableism (all that), so please, don't jump to conclusions. Just because I think the Marital bed should not be shared with anyone that isn't married to you (but do what you want, it's your life, just 'cos I don't agree with it doesn't mean I'm gonna stop you), does not mean I advocate racism! That's ridiculous.

No one said you were a racist, they said that you are intolerant. Racism is a type of intolerance, not all intolerance is racism.

I'm not Intolerant, if they want to have an open relationship, then let them! Just because I don't agree doesn't mean they need to stop.
    Their lives their choices & opinions, just like this is my life, my choice & my opinion.
    I don't see why, just because I don't agree & wouldn't take part in an open marriage myself, all of a sudden I'm made out to be a horrible person?

Woah, woah, woah. Let's ease up a little here, people. She's MORE than allowed to have her opinion and shouldn't be called racist and intolerant to something simply because it's not for her. She's straight, does that mean she's a homophobe? No, get your heads out of your *kitten*.
  • paigemarie93
    paigemarie93 Posts: 778 Member
    Options
    You know, being unaccepting of those who are OK or IN Open Marriages is (in my book) right up there with those that are unaccepting of gays, other skin colors, other cultures, or other religions. I mean, I have my limits - Pedofilia, necrophilia, rape (etc), but in the scheme of life, this is a non-issue. I can "Live and let live" as far as this one is concerned.

So just because you don't agree with open marriages, you're on the same level as a racist? Oh my:noway:

In my book, yes. People that are judgmental towards others are the same people that are usually discriminatory by nature also.

I personally don't agree with Open Marriage & I am strictly against racism/ableism (all that), so please, don't jump to conclusions. Just because I think the Marital bed should not be shared with anyone that isn't married to you (but do what you want, it's your life, just 'cos I don't agree with it doesn't mean I'm gonna stop you), does not mean I advocate racism! That's ridiculous.

No one said you were a racist, they said that you are intolerant. Racism is a type of intolerance, not all intolerance is racism.

I'm not Intolerant, if they want to have an open relationship, then let them! Just because I don't agree doesn't mean they need to stop.
    Their lives their choices & opinions, just like this is my life, my choice & my opinion.
    I don't see why, just because I don't agree & wouldn't take part in an open marriage myself, all of a sudden I'm made out to be a horrible person?

Woah, woah, woah. Let's ease up a little here, people. She's MORE than allowed to have her opinion and shouldn't be called racist and intolerant to something simply because it's not for her. She's straight, does that mean she's a homophobe? No, get your heads out of your *kitten*.

I actually love you so much right now!

I love you too.

Wooo partaaaay :laugh: :smokin:
  • EmCarroll1990
    EmCarroll1990 Posts: 2,849 Member
    Options
    There is a huge difference love and wanting to have sex with someone. People sometimes cannot separate these things. It's entirely possible, if not normal, to find someone that you completely connect with on every level. Physical, emotional, intellectual, etc. etc. This is the person you get together with, who you marry and have a life with. But that doesn't mean you don't ever feel sexually attracted to others. This is where the open relationship comes in, if you and your partner want to experiment with sleeping with others that doesn't mean you love each other any less, it just means you're human. It's not for everybody, but do not judge it because you don't understand it.

There's a huge difference in the way this lifestyles run. Many do not have "relationships" with people, they simply use them for sex a couple of times and that is all. It's not like they call each other before bed and say goodnight.
  • EmCarroll1990
    Options

I love you too.

If that's the "good" kind of cigarettes, I'm down.
  • hdroddy
    hdroddy Posts: 122
    Options

Too right. There are too many personal attacks on here. Very disturbing. If you think someone is wrong, why can't you discuss it without getting ugly?

Too right. There are too many personal attacks on here. Can't we disagree without getting nasty? That's a truly ugly trend.
  • paigemarie93
    Options
    Do a bit of research before you post things you aren't aware of. These are covered under the blood of the sacrifice! As all sins are. They were also used in a MUCH different context. Read the whole bible and understand the book Do not pick and choose verses...

My point was you are all picking and choosing verses to follow.

Leviticus 19:19 says don't wear clothes of mixed material. I'm pretty sure you all have cotton and polyester clothes.

Leviticus 24:16 says to stone people to death that blaspheme.

Deuteronomy 21:18-21 says to stone children that disobey.

Numbers 15:32-56 Says to stone people that break the Sabbath.

Deuteronomy 22:23-24 says to stone people that are raped if they don't scream loud enough.

So lets ignore the OLD testament, as you guys always like to do.

My point is that EVERYONE has sinned. Whether it is swearing, lying, judging, hating someone, being jealous, whatever.

Matthew 7:5 - "You hypocrite, first take the log out of your own eye, and then you will see clearly to take the speck out of your brother's eye. "

I grew up in the church. I was raised in a christian faith, and I believed. Intolerant, hypocritical, lying, backstabbing, judgmental people were the reason I stopped. Don't quote scripture to me, because I've memorized hundreds of verses.

The more I learn about religion, the less I want anything to do with it.

Of course everyone has sinned, like I said before, "for all have sinned & fall short of the glory of God".
    The bible also says that we have to obey the law, that is why we don't stone people.
  • nanodot
    nanodot Posts: 154 Member
    Options

Well, in my case, you keep them both! :D

But yeah, if you don't think these issues through carefully *in advance*, you are going to have some very bad results.
  • paigemarie93
    Options

I love you too.

Haha! If I'm ever in Canada, I'm hanging out with you.
  • EmCarroll1990
    Options

I love you too.

Haha! If I'm ever in Canada, I'm hanging out with you.

Hell yes, any time!
  • seattlerain
    seattlerain Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    Do a bit of research before you post things you aren't aware of. These are covered under the blood of the sacrifice! As all sins are. They were also used in a MUCH different context. Read the whole bible and understand the book Do not pick and choose verses...

Leviticus 19:19 says don't wear clothes of mixed material. I'm pretty sure you all have cotton and polyester clothes.

Deuteronomy 22:23-24 says to stone people that are raped if they don't scream loud enough.

My point is that EVERYONE has sinned. Whether it is swearing, lying, judging, hating someone, being jealous, whatever.

Matthew 7:5 - "You hypocrite, first take the log out of your own eye, and then you will see clearly to take the speck out of your brother's eye. "

I grew up in the church. I was raised in a christian faith, and I believed. Intolerant, hypocritical, lying, backstabbing, judgmental people were the reason I stopped. Don't quote scripture to me, because I've memorized hundreds of verses.

Nice. The bible got something right!

:D
  • Legalchica
    Options
    I'm game :) wait... nevermind... hubby would NEVER approve :(
  • nanodot
    nanodot Posts: 154 Member
    Options

Of course everyone has sinned, like I said before, "for all have sinned & fall short of the glory of God".
    The bible also says that we have to obey the law, that is why we don't stone people.

Ok, I really *really* don't want to pick on you; and I understand that you are live-and-let-live.

But.... when religious people say things like that, it's scary. Because what I hear is "We would stone you, except that there is a local law against it. So we won't beat you to death with stones for wearing cotton with polyester, today. But, you know, otherwise we would."
  • paigemarie93
    Options

Ok, I really *really* don't want to pick on you; and I understand that you are live-and-let-live.

But.... when religious people say things like that, it's scary. Because what I hear is "We would stone you, except that there is a local law against it. So we won't beat you to death with stones for wearing cotton with polyester, today. But, you know, otherwise we would."

I didn't mean it like that, I could never kill anyone.
  • skywa
    skywa Posts: 901 Member
    Options
    Open relationships dont work. Period.
  • EmCarroll1990
    Options

And that's quite the generalisation.
  • kbw414
    kbw414 Posts: 194
    Options
    I think something's broken inside you if you can't commit completely to one person and have that be enough. Either you're with the wrong person or you have insecurities that you have to fill with promiscuity and outside attention.

Well said!
  • I've never seen Dr. Phil but on open marriage I guess I believe to each their own. No way could I deal with it. I get jealous when hubby smiles too big at the cashier at the gas station. I'm jealous by nature - always have been and in turn I don't do anything that would make hubby nervous himself...just an old fashion lady I guess. But I also figure everyone finds what works for them, if they bring it on t.v. I imagine they like the attention from it.
  • AlsDonkBoxSquat
    AlsDonkBoxSquat Posts: 6,128 Member
    Options

For you. Exclamation point.
  • kylesmommy89
    kylesmommy89 Posts: 356 Member
    Options
    Definitely not for me!! Ick!!