I think my husband is trying to keep me fat.....

Options

Replies

• leika79
    leika79 Posts: 114
    Options

I log on everyday, today is my 365 day!

Take care:flowerforyou:

well done!
  • Di3012
    Di3012 Posts: 2,250 Member
    Options
    He is not on a diet. You are. Just because you are ready, doesn't mean he is.

Just a thought.

It is give and take in any relationship or marriage, he is doing all the taking and not giving. The least he could do is be a bit supportive and if he knows the OP has a bit of a weak spot for junk food, at least keeping it out of her way would help, not bloody buying it in front of her for crying out loud and what the hell was that about him buy breadsticks FOR HER???

He may not be ready, but he needs to grow up a bit.
  • Kymmu
    Kymmu Posts: 1,650 Member
    Options
    As hard as it's going to be with that food around....no one can make you eat it if you don't want to.
    Double your resolve, it's good training for out in the real world.
    JUST SAY NO!
  • biancardi
    Options

Just a thought.

It is give and take in any relationship or marriage, he is doing all the taking and not giving. The least he could do is be a bit supportive and if he knows the OP has a bit of a weak spot for junk food, at least keeping it out of her way would help, not bloody buying it in front of her for crying out loud and what the hell was that about him buy breadsticks FOR HER???

He may not be ready, but he needs to grow up a bit.

^^^ this

yes, he isn't on a diet, but man, the OP just started and he knows it. What is one of the reasons for so many people falling off the wagon with healthy lifestyle changes? Temptation. He knows she is trying to change her food habits and while she isn't asking him to forgo his snacks, junk food, etc - just be a BIT more sensitive about it.
  • firmbug
    firmbug Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    I've been thru this with my husband, and I believe it's not that he's trying to "keep you fat" I think it's a comfort zone for guys. I believe some men may have a deep seated feeling that you may not want him if you are hot and he is not or perhaps he is not at the same level of commitment to fitness and healthy eating as you are. Stick with it, stay strong and when he sees the changes in you, a more positive mood, you happier and healthier, I think you may find him moving over to your side of the camp.

I've been with my husband for 13 years and he has loved me thru thick and thin, and I him, and finally we are both on track together, exercising together and making healthier eating choices together. Be a leader and I believe he will come to his senses.
  • zeikiya989
    Options
    I can so relate to this. My ex boyfriend told me that he would break up with me if i lost too much weight, because he likes big women. he was really upset when i wanted to change. i don't think he was insecure, he was big himself, didn't plan on changing liked the way he was and wanted someone the same. We ended breaking up.

My current relationship also a big guy, seems a lot similar to your husband. I don't think my boyfriend intentionally wants me fat. but he is not ready to lose his weight and though he does praise me for my weight loss he does nothing to help me with it. He still eats fast food at least once a day. Ask me if i want things or to go with him. When its his turn to cook, he doesn't try to make healthy versions for me. it does make it harder especially the wheel power to turn down certain foods. Especially when he orders pizza.

If he is over weight himself and not ready to lose weight, he is probably not supportive because the fear of you losing weight and leaving him or something. If you haven't already, certainly talk to him and tell him how you feel. But like with mine, it may not work Its our journey and not theirs.
  • busyblkgirl
    busyblkgirl Posts: 264 Member
    Options
    I'm sorry you're dealing with this, but, in the end it will definitely make you stronger. I agree with the other poster, have it out with him if need be, and maybe you can get to the bottom of what's really going on with him. The other thing you HAVE TO do is turn your blinders on, pretend like you don't see it. I don't have that exact situation, but as of right now, when I make groceries, I do pick up some of the kids favorite snacks that are an absolute no-no for me. What I did was separate our things though. All of their foods go into the pantry with our main staples, but all of my specialty things have started going into a cabinet I cleared out in the kitchen, especially for me.

Oh and you can add me if you like, I do log on everyday :o)
  • abutterflyemerges
    abutterflyemerges Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    He may have bought all the wrong foods to keep in the house..but he isn't actually feeding you, is he?? I suggest going out and buying your OWN healthy products. That way..nobody is blaming anybody from not losing/gaining weight but yourself.

I understand your frustration as I in the same situation. My husband could stand to lose some weight (but only about 15 lbs). But your doing this for you. He shops for his food and I shop for mine and I eat only mine. He makes yucky faces sometimes at my food choices and the hard part is that we had two young children and I try to feed them healthy and his food has to be hidden because they will whine for it. Occasionally i let him give them a treat but they actually caught onto my trend. What is my payback is that when we go out all his friend tells him he better get on my bandwagon because he is not a fit as he used to be and I am going to find another man (not really but his friends said I didn't). But sit down and talk to him and tell him to hide the food or keep it out of reach. When you go out discuss a restaurant that you can both enjoy. Stick to your guns and be persistent, he will eventually give up tempting you. Like the post above states.

Take care and good luck. :flowerforyou:
  • katyconser
    katyconser Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    wow, this breaks my heart! i'm so sorry you don't have the support you need at home, but don't let it stop you! i am lucky enough to have some of my really good friends on MFP with me, as well as my mom. i'm sure with your post you will find some great friends here to offer support and motivation! you are doing the right thing by reaching out to all of us :)

i can't imagine having all that junk in the house!! i'm not sure if this is possible, but can you two store food in separate places? in my house, there's a separate laundry room storage/pantry area, and my roommates keep all the junk food in there. i keep all the good stuff, including healthy snacks, in the main pantry, and that way i don't even see the junky stuff as options when browsing.

i agree with others that you will need to confront your husband at some point. can you invite him to join you in your journey? sorry if you mentioned this in a reply already... there were a lot to go thru haha

good luck!! let us all know when you need support... i'm sure you know this is a great community. It's worked well for me so far! :)
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,692 Member
    Options
    I just don't know what to do at this point. I swear that my husband is trying to keep me from losing weight. I have asked him repeatedly not to bring junk into the house. Here's a recap of what I have come home and dealt with the in the last few days:

Tuesday- we went to the store and I had to fight him out of the store without buying cookies or cake mixes.

Wednesday- 2 bags of Ruffles Cheddar and Sour Cream Chips (my favorite) and cheesecake.

Friday- cake on the counter (NOT the cheesecake from Wednesday) and then he ordered pizza and bread sticks for dinner. (without my knowledge) When i say bread sticks I mean one order for him and one just for me. (I didn't eat it!)

Today- He went to the store for toilet paper and came home with chocolate chip cookie dough ice cream and raspberry sherbert and three 2 liters of soda. I have already been informed that he will be bring home what is called a Bacon Cheddar bomb from the restaurant he works at.

I have been working out everyday, some times twice a day. I eat so well when he is not around but by the time I get home and see all of this its hard to avoid. I have lost 7 this last month so I am doing okay at avoiding but it is so frustrating when there is no one to support your efforts at home.

On Thursday night I wasn't feeling good and skipped my evening workout. The same day I had taken 30 minutes of my lunch hour and walked 1.5 miles with my coworker. He had the nerve to ask me if I was giving up! I wanted to smack him so bad. Really? Your going to ask me if I'm giving up because I didn't workout twice in one day?

I have a lot of weight to lose. Another 86lbs to be exact. How am I going to do this if he will not show me an ounce of support?

Thanks for reading my vent. Also looking for new MFP friends who actually log on to help keep me motivated. Almost everyone on my current list has not logged on in 5-6 months.
    I run into this all the time and especially with husbands who think that their wife may have a thing for their trainers.............couldn't be further from the truth.
    Here's my advice. Knowing and being in this business for over 29 years now, if foods you like are going to something that you have to deal with................then you deal with them straight up. You like Sour Cream and Cheddar Ruffles (I know I do) then you learn how to portion out a few and account for them in your daily calories intake. Why? Because EVERY client I've ever dealt with that gained back the weight got off the diet I made for them and ate the foods they liked again. With me changing over to them letting eat what they want (with the consideration of making sure they get in their daily essentials of macro/micro nutrients) and setting a daily calorie limit, I can honestly say that it's now maybe 1 out of 25 that may gain the majority of their weight back.
    You just can't think about the journey, you have to think about the lifestyle. If you're willing FOR THE REST OF YOUR LIFE to delete foods you enjoy, that's one thing, but if you're not, then you need to create a way to learn how to eat them in moderation.

A.C.E. Certified Personal Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • Dimplybutt
    Dimplybutt Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    I can't say why or why not your hubby isn't being supportive BUT if it does seem to be that he's doing it out of insecurity or because he feels threatened, etc don't be angry with him, that won't help the situation ... love him :heart: ... show him you love him so that slowly he'll come to the realization that, even though you are losing weight, looking great and feeling better about yourself, you aren't going anywhere. He probably just needs some reassurance that you will love him no matter where you are in your own journey.

Men may be tough & gruff on the outside but they can still be afraid & insecure on the inside, whether they show it or admit to it.
  • palmerig88
    palmerig88 Posts: 623 Member
    Options
    I grocery shop twice per week to make sure I always have plenty of healthy fresh foods available. Luckily, my husband actually likes healthy foods. By going together, we get all of the healthy foods we both enjoy and it ensures we have things we can agree on for dinners, etc. That being said, he is not trying to lose weight. So a pumpkin pie and a bag of chips will go in the cart. Or a tube of cookie dough and some soda. He says that he wants to cut out soda. I cut it out for weight loss and have been successful and he has a hard time with it. I am supportive but not chastising. The foods he places in the cart I know I won't eat don't bother me because he is buying them for himself. He knows I probably won't eat them. He will bake the cookies or pie himself. If I have A cookie, he eats all the rest and I am fine with that. You need to try to find a middle ground. You don't want him to judge whether you are exercising, he doesn't want you to judge what he eats. His comments seem that much more hurtful because you are probably struggling, at least a bit, to avoid indulging. It will make you more sensitive. Be strong and do this for yourself. He will accept it. Things will get better. Hang in there.
  • Ajrodriguez3
    Options
    It really sounds more like your husband is jealous. Maybe you are doing something that he doesnt think he can do... or doeasn't want to do himself. If he is happy at his weight and with his unhealthy habits maybe he wants you to be too.

Keep your chin up and keep your eye on the prize. Sometimes your biggest hurdle can be your biggest motivator.!! Don't let him put you down, you can do this!
  • jaxxie
    jaxxie Posts: 576 Member
    Options
    wow, this breaks my heart! i'm so sorry you don't have the support you need at home, but don't let it stop you! i am lucky enough to have some of my really good friends on MFP with me, as well as my mom. i'm sure with your post you will find some great friends here to offer support and motivation! you are doing the right thing by reaching out to all of us :)

i can't imagine having all that junk in the house!! i'm not sure if this is possible, but can you two store food in separate places? in my house, there's a separate laundry room storage/pantry area, and my roommates keep all the junk food in there. i keep all the good stuff, including healthy snacks, in the main pantry, and that way i don't even see the junky stuff as options when browsing.

i agree with others that you will need to confront your husband at some point. can you invite him to join you in your journey? sorry if you mentioned this in a reply already... there were a lot to go thru haha

good luck!! let us all know when you need support... i'm sure you know this is a great community. It's worked well for me so far! :)

I couldn't agree with you more, what an awesome response! Kudos!!! Feel free to add me too! We are here to support each other afterall!
  • joannes68
    Options
    Friend me - I'll support ya.. My husband is a stck and can eat, eat, eat and not gain a pound - take him to a buffet and he is sure to eat his money worth. I just walk in and gain 10 lbs before eating anything. It sucks but I keep going... I have junk in my house too.. I choose not to eat it.. Keep doing what your doing.. When he says anything about wasting money on food that your not eating just tell him you didn't ask him to buy it.
  • MCrome
    MCrome Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    He sounds most unhelpful...is he encouraging towards anything else in your life? I eat with my brother when I do I no its very tempting . Keep your chin up x :)
  • TrailRunner61
    TrailRunner61 Posts: 2,505 Member
    Options

Just a thought.
    This! He probably just isn't ready to deal with it for himself, yet. You have made your decision to change your lifestyle, eat well and be healthy. Be strong and do what you have to so you don't eat the junk he brings home. I personally would just say, sorry, I'm not eating that stuff but you can have it. Then go about eating healthy to live, not living to eat.

I started out just by walking for charity. 1,000 miles for St. Jude. I assumed I'd lose some weight but I had no intention of changing my diet! At that point he was already asking me if I was still going to eat this or that.. I replied with ' just because I'm walking it doesn't mean I'm not eating'. As I slowly started to see results, I made subtle changes to my diet and now I know I'm doing great. 12 lbs so far. I don't talk about it much but he does see me measuring stuff and if we eat out he is now making an effort to order something healthier. Surprise! We can't make them change just like no one could make us change until we were ready ourselves. If he ever does compliment you, ever so slightly, on your weight loss, lifestyle changes.. thank him for supporting you and that you love him. I've told my hubby that even when I didn't mean it and he has looked at me stunned, like what are you talking about but he got the point. :) He may come around and join you and he may not but you are STRONG and you can do this. It's not a 'diet', it's a lifestyle change, and for life, hopefully adding years to our lives!
    Good luck and if you need extra support from someone going through the same thing, add me!
  • Faye_Anderson
    Faye_Anderson Posts: 1,495 Member
    Options

I did make him walk with me last night as "punishment" for the junk i found when i came home. He wasn't happy about it and complained the whole time but he walked the 1.5mile with me..lol

Have you read that back? That doesn't sound like you are talking about your husband who you love, that sounds like you're a bit of a control freak, the man can't even eats what he wants were he wants without being punished. You need to put a bit of perspective on things.
  • CrysOmboli
    CrysOmboli Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    It's really hard to have will power when the food is literally staring youin the face. He really needs to get on board with you though. He can ultimately be the success or the failure to ur weight loss. He needs to be ur rock, not ur hard place. You need to explain to him that the more he brings bad food in, the more likely you will be tempted to stray. I'm curious if he has any weight to lose. Regardless if he also has weight to lose, I'm sure his numbers (ie cholesterol, triglycerides) cannot look too great if he is eating such bad foods every day of the week. Give him that as a motivator. If he does not have to lose weight, then have him make an appointment for some blood work so he can see what all the pizza and cheesecake is doing to his blood counts.

I consistently have to tell my parents to not bring crap into the house. There is ALWAYS ice cream and donuts and cookies and other crap in my house that is NOT CONDUCIVE to a 2,000 Cal/day diet. I don't buy it but they do. My mom just had her blood analyzed and she got a big wake up call. She is super unhealthy considering she's only 138 lbs. So yes you can be an unhealthy skinny person.
  • laing1982
    Options
    i had a friend whos hubby was like that with her and it was due to him being insecure and scared that if she lost weight, looked good and got confidence that she wouldnt depend on him as much and would want to go out more. finally she sat him down and told him he supports her or leaves and since she lost over 4 stone and became a fitness instructer and her hubby realised that he was being silly, she now is so much happier within herself and he realises that it is now that he see's the real her and not the empty shell she was before.

have u sat him down and spoke to him and told him exactly how u feel. we are all here to support u, do it for u xxxx