Women who eat more than 1800 calories a day !!!!

Options

Replies

• nixirain
    nixirain Posts: 448 Member
    Options
    I'm wondering if anyone can help me..... I'm still very new to this whole lifestyle change. I've pretty much always been a 'skinny fat' person but in the last couple of months have dropped some pounds to be back to be back to my pre pregnancy size and have started working out a lot more.

I currently do cardio at the gym 4 days a week (only 40 minute sessions as that is all I can fit in timewise), Shred about 5 days a week and yoga once a week.

I'm 5'9 and 129 lbs.

I'm not worried about the number on the scales, just the size I am. I would like to build more muscle and reduce my body fat %. I assumed I would need to eat at a deficit to reduce body fat.

Any suggestions on how much I should be eating? If I do the calculations it's coming in at about 1800 each day, do I then not eat over this even on exercise days?

I currently have my cals set at 1500 and always eat my exercise cals. so normally end up eating between 1650 and 2000 each day. I am often hungry at the end of the day and have no cals left.

Any tips gratefully received. :)

I am doing new rules too and I would suggest to go by the #'s in the book. I did all my calculations and min comes out to about the same as the book with my cut. So far so good. I am not even through week 2 and I lost around an inch all over.
  • getsveltEagain
    getsveltEagain Posts: 1,063 Member
    Options
    Since I don't go by MFP calories I don't know how I'd figure out my net as I go by my TDEE and then subtract 20%. Since I'm using my BMF I haven't been using my HRM so I don't even know how many I'm burning exercise wise to create the right net.

I have the bodybugg and I looked at what my average TDEE was for a month. Then I took 15% of that off to leave me at 2000. So I made MFP set at 2000 for calories in. Then to do my exercise calories I add back anything that I burn over the 2000 on the following day. So like yesterday for example, 2250 was my total burn when I checked it this morning. I add the 250 as exercise calories that I eat today since I have already created my deficit. I have been doing this for almost 5 months and it is working for me!! I weighed 166.2 on Dec 30, 2011 and this morning I weighed 155.2*

*I do gain a pound that I have to "re-lose" when I ovulate and I have been in the last 20 pounds this year so I want to lose fat more than lean weight by going slower :wink:
  • TT_luvs_fitness
    Options
    bumping for later
  • getsveltEagain
    Options
    If my TDEE is 2246 and my BMR is 1449, I should be eating around 1700 calories, yes? No? RIght now, I'm eating around 1490, but I've been HORRIBLE with eating back my exercise calories. Sometimes I net, like, 750, which is obvs. not awesome.

Also: When I change my goals, do I do this manually? (Sorry. There ARE stupid questions, and this is one.) But answer anyway. :)

You should not eat less than 1449 ever from my understanding. This is the amount of calories that you need when in a coma. You aren't in a coma and you need more food than that in since you get up to shower, get dressed, to and from the car/work, housework, and exercise. I would say that 2000 is what you need for your goal. That leaves deficit of 250 which is half a pound a week and you are in the last 10 pounds so that is about right.

I tend to suggest increasing slowly like 200 more a week.

Yes do the change manually under Goals :wink:
  • getsveltEagain
    Options
    ^^^ My TDEE is around 2400 - 2600 (I wear a body bugg). I aim for around 2000 calories a day, regardless of what I'm doing and then I don't eat my exercise calories back. I am losing weight very slowly which is sometimes aggravating, but it is coming off and I never feel deprived, hungry, or tired.

I am VERY similar.... I am never hungry and I am losing weight that I know I will keep off!!!
  • callikia
    callikia Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • J3NZ0R
    J3NZ0R Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Thanks so much for your awesome reply! 2000 sounds scary to me, so maybe I'll try 1800 and work my way up. 2000 just seems like a lot (even though it's totally normal). Sigh. It's so hard when you've been told for so long that deprivation/feeling hungry + over exercising = weight loss. No more!
  • cathy_t
    cathy_t Posts: 1
    Options
    I lost 15lb eating a net 1800 calories, so my total calories was usually around 2100-2300. BUT I'm breastfeeding round the clock still. And I stopped tracking, stopped exercising, started emotional-eating (candy) and regained 7lbs. I need to get back on track, but I can't function on 1500 or less. 1800 is a sensible target for me.
  • Daisy374
    Daisy374 Posts: 539 Member
    Options
    bump
  • graysmom2005
    graysmom2005 Posts: 1,882 Member
    Options
    Since I don't go by MFP calories I don't know how I'd figure out my net as I go by my TDEE and then subtract 20%. Since I'm using my BMF I haven't been using my HRM so I don't even know how many I'm burning exercise wise to create the right net.

I have the bodybugg and I looked at what my average TDEE was for a month. Then I took 15% of that off to leave me at 2000. So I made MFP set at 2000 for calories in. Then to do my exercise calories I add back anything that I burn over the 2000 on the following day. So like yesterday for example, 2250 was my total burn when I checked it this morning. I add the 250 as exercise calories that I eat today since I have already created my deficit. I have been doing this for almost 5 months and it is working for me!! I weighed 166.2 on Dec 30, 2011 and this morning I weighed 155.2*

*I do gain a pound that I have to "re-lose" when I ovulate and I have been in the last 20 pounds this year so I want to lose fat more than lean weight by going slower :wink:
    I had to read that four times. Haha!! The terrifying thing is my Body Media has my average TDEE at 3000 calories. Seriously. I treach a lot of fitness classes so it makes sense I guess. So 20% off of that is 2400 calories. So I should eat 2400 every day and if I burn 3100 on a crazy day like today I'd add 700 to the next day? Or 100? This seems like so much food, but I've been stuck in the 150's for 2 years. Unable to get out.
  • ggeise14
    ggeise14 Posts: 386 Member
    Options
    bump
  • nkyjennifer
    nkyjennifer Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    I'm eating just over 1800 a day, and I usually eat back most or all of my exercise calories - except on the days when it's crazy huge! I've been training for a half-marathon and during long training run/walks I can burn over 1,000 calories. Those days I just eat (good stuff!) until I'm satisfied.

I've lost 20lbs since I started training in February and a total of 13 inches overall - 3 inches from my upper arms alone!!!

I don't deny myself anything, I just eat less of it and junk less often. I'm creating new good habits for a long and healthy life!
  • getsveltEagain
    Options

I had to read that four times. Haha!! The terrifying thing is my Body Media has my average TDEE at 3000 calories. Seriously. I treach a lot of fitness classes so it makes sense I guess. So 20% off of that is 2400 calories. So I should eat 2400 every day and if I burn 3100 on a crazy day like today I'd add 700 to the next day? Or 100? This seems like so much food, but I've been stuck in the 150's for 2 years. Unable to get out.

:laugh: it is a bit confusing at first, but you got it! You want to eat 2400 each day and when you burn over that eat that full amount back. So in your example you would eat all 700 of those exercise calories back the next day. So the first day you start doing this you won't have "exercise" calories. I add them to the next day since I don't know the full 24 hour burn until midnight and I am not staying up that late to know let alone eat!?

On the opposite side of that, on low burn days (if you have them :wink:) you do a quick add of calories in for the amount you did NOT reach 2400. An example is over the weekend I stayed in bed most of the day and only burned 1800, so I added 200 calories as a quick add the next day.

If that number is huge just start by eating an extra 200-300 each week till you reach the 2400. Then work on eating the exercise calories back.
  • lelaspeaks
    lelaspeaks Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    HELP ME!

Some of my MFP info:
    Height: 5'7"
    Highest weight: 170 lb
    Lowest weight: 132 lb
    Starting weight as of MFP: 170 lb
    Current weight: 160 lb
    Goal weight: 135-140 lb
    Current BMI: 25.1%

I have a full-time desk job and herniated disc, so I'm limited to biking, walking and light lifting.

Tell me what to eat and I'll do it.

Right now I typically eat between 1,380 and 1,480. Am I okay? I want to lose weight fast, but in a healthy way!
  • Tandi_S
    Tandi_S Posts: 439 Member
    Options
    bump! Loving this thread. I upped my calories to 1600/day plus exercise calories and am still stuck....I feel a LOT better, but am still stuck! Thinking of making the jump to 1700 ot 1800.

Maybe I'll wear my HRM for a full day and see what that says my burn is for a day to get an idea....
  • MommaFuhrer
    MommaFuhrer Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    saving for later! :flowerforyou:
  • ayoubm3949
    ayoubm3949 Posts: 81
    Options
    I just increased my calories from 1200 to 1800..I'm so scared I'm gonna gain weight :(
    ps. I do insanity every day or I run (HIIT) for 30 mins and do weights for 20.... I really home i lose weight.
  • Coyla
    Coyla Posts: 444 Member
    Options
    HELP ME!

Some of my MFP info:

I have a full-time desk job and herniated disc, so I'm limited to biking, walking and light lifting.

Right now I typically eat between 1,380 and 1,480. Am I okay? I want to lose weight fast, but in a healthy way!

Taking into account your height, weight, age, and activity (I put you as lightly active), your TDEE is 2107.

That means you'd do best eating about 1600-1650 calories a day. If you use the TDEE method, you don't eat your exercise calories back unless you're doing heavy physical activity for that day.

Lightly active = exercising 1 - 3 times a week. You may be MORE active than that, however.

Here is the TDEE calculator: http://www.fitnessfrog.com/calculators/tdee-calculator.html
  • CoderGal
    CoderGal Posts: 6,800 Member
    Options
    HELP ME!

Some of my MFP info:

Taking into account your height, weight, age, and activity (I put you as lightly active), your TDEE is 2107.

That means you'd do best eating about 1600-1650 calories a day. If you use the TDEE method, you don't eat your exercise calories back unless you're doing heavy physical activity for that day.

Lightly active = exercising 1 - 3 times a week. You may be MORE active than that, however.

Here is the TDEE calculator: http://www.fitnessfrog.com/calculators/tdee-calculator.html

^this-ish. I started off about 10 pounds lighter then you. I ate 1650 plus exercise calories and got down to 120. Right now you're currently eating below your BMR (what your organs want to live while basically unconcious: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Basal_metabolic_rate). I highly recommend you up.
  • angelina2585
    angelina2585 Posts: 273 Member
    Options
    I'm 42, 5'4" currently 138lbs and eat 1800 every day. My favourite calculator is http://scoobysworkshop.com/calorie-calculator/ Just enter all your details and eat the same calories each and every day only adding extra if what you burn brings your net below your BMR.

My numbers are BMR 1352, TDEE 2095 (moderately active and daily calories 1781 - I've rounded it up to 1800 :))

I find it so much easier to just have my goal as a set number each day rather than have a lower goal and eating back exercise calories.

I've been losing weight every week and really why would I want to lose the same amount but a lower allowance? Nope. Give me more food ;)