Women who eat more than 1800 calories a day !!!!

Options

Replies

• FattieBabs
    FattieBabs Posts: 542 Member
    Options
    Hi there. According to MFP I should be on around 1500 cals a day to lose 1lb a week. I have a bad hip so can't exercise much. The weight loss appears to be working for the moment and I am down 24 lbs in 10 months. My consultant wants me to get to 100kg before I am even considered for an operation. I don't really want to go down to 1200 cals a day in order to lose more and would rather up my calories but can't mitigate by exercise. Should I just stick to the 1500 a day and see how this works out? Once I can exercise again I will probably stage up to around 1800 and see how it goes. Any advice welcome and you are all fantastic!
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,345 Member
    Options
    FattieBabs wrote: »
    Hi there. According to MFP I should be on around 1500 cals a day to lose 1lb a week. I have a bad hip so can't exercise much. The weight loss appears to be working for the moment and I am down 24 lbs in 10 months. My consultant wants me to get to 100kg before I am even considered for an operation. I don't really want to go down to 1200 cals a day in order to lose more and would rather up my calories but can't mitigate by exercise. Should I just stick to the 1500 a day and see how this works out? Once I can exercise again I will probably stage up to around 1800 and see how it goes. Any advice welcome and you are all fantastic!

You are losing around 2.5lbs a month, when you have a lot to lose you could be aiming for 1-2lbs a week. I still think you should be losing more eating at 1500 even being sedentary - I wouldn't be in favour of you lowering your calories further as you will have to do that when you get closer to goal anyway.

Don't take offense here but are you sure you are accurate about your number of daily calories consumed? do you weigh/measure and log every single thing and choose the correct entries in the MFP database?
    (The only reason I ask is from personal experience I lose 0.5-0.75lb/week eating at 1700 when lightly active and if sedentary 1500 calories - I'm 5ft 2, 48yrs and started off at 154lbs. (been at maintenance almost 5 yrs and maintain goal range 125-130 on 1950 cals).

Lowering calories can make us feel deprived and its then harder to stick to the lower intake consistently.

How many pounds do you need to lose to get to 100kg?
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,922 Member
    Options

My bad hip may have nothing at all in common with your bad hip, but I found physical therapy quite helpful. She was super gentle - it was nothing like the torturous PT you see on TV.

I've been dealing with knee issues off and on since 2009 and have always been able to find some form of exercise that I can do. I would be completely miserable and hangry without exercise calories.
  • FattieBabs
    FattieBabs Posts: 542 Member
    Options

You are losing around 2.5lbs a month, when you have a lot to lose you could be aiming for 1-2lbs a week. I still think you should be losing more eating at 1500 even being sedentary - I wouldn't be in favour of you lowering your calories further as you will have to do that when you get closer to goal anyway.

Don't take offense here but are you sure you are accurate about your number of daily calories consumed? do you weigh/measure and log every single thing and choose the correct entries in the MFP database?
    (The only reason I ask is from personal experience I lose 0.5-0.75lb/week eating at 1700 when lightly active and if sedentary 1500 calories - I'm 5ft 2, 48yrs and started off at 154lbs. (been at maintenance almost 5 yrs and maintain goal range 125-130 on 1950 cals).

Lowering calories can make us feel deprived and its then harder to stick to the lower intake consistently.

How many pounds do you need to lose to get to 100kg?

I need to lose another 6 lbs to get to 100kg. The Consultant said I was still too overweight for the op so reviewing in March. A bit depressed because I have lost almost 2 stone so far but I guess it is all about safety during the op and recovery so will have to suck up this bad news and get on with it... I will get out the scales again and start weighing properly. Admit that I have got a bit lax re this.. Also will look at slowly upping to 1600-1700 and see if i still lose or maintain. Thanks for all your help.
  • LAWoman72
    LAWoman72 Posts: 2,846 Member
    Options
    Can someone clue me in? I started at the first post. I am on page 42 and going bugeyed. What is the general idea here? Is it that you have to heavy lift in order to eat more? I see this question asked several times so far and don't really see a direct answer. Why should eating more cause weight loss? Thanks.
  • MaddMaestro
    MaddMaestro Posts: 405 Member
    Options
    LAWoman72 wrote: »
    Can someone clue me in? I started at the first post. I am on page 42 and going bugeyed. What is the general idea here? Is it that you have to heavy lift in order to eat more? I see this question asked several times so far and don't really see a direct answer. Why should eating more cause weight loss? Thanks.
    That would depend on someone's goals I would think. I used to eat at a deficit of 1200-1400 cals to lose weight. Now I eat an average of 1800-2300 cals and have gained weight until I stabled at a weight I can maintain (went from 163 to 170 doing this) At the same time, I have been weight lifting so I don't know how much was muscle gain vs. fat gain. A good chance it's both.

For your original question, it's not so much that you eat more to lose weight.. you eat more to tone and work on muscles. You COULD incidentally lose weight however if you're still eating at a deficit and not a maintenance.
  • LAWoman72
    edited November 2017
    Options
    Okay, thank you.

I need to lose 20 more lbs. I was going along fine for a year and a half down to about 1350 cals (at a 60-lb. loss). Now I seem to be so hungry.

I am 50, 5'1", do Pilates or light weights about 4 times per week, and walk about 30 minutes 6 or 7 days a week. I weigh 150 right now.

I have no plans to lift at this time as I am taking a salary cut and do not want to join a gym as we simply can't afford it right now. I wish.bout I can't. So if this relies on that, then, ah well.
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,679 Member
    Options
    Okay, thank you.

I need to lose 20 more lbs. I was going along fine for a year and a half down to about 1350 cals (at a 60-lb. loss). Now I seem to be so hungry.

I am 50, 5'1", do Pilates or light weights about 4 times per week, and walk about 30 minutes 6 or 7 days a week. I weigh 150 right now.

I have no plans to lift at this time as I am taking a salary cut and do not want to join a gym as we simply can't afford it right now. I wish.bout I can't. So if this relies on that, then, ah well.

progressive strength training based on bodyweight exercises. I am sure peops can point you to a lot of programs. Not sure if you've visited the refeed and diet break thread...
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,345 Member
    edited November 2017
    Options
    WinoGelato wrote: »

I don't lift heavy, nor do I run marathons, but I'm over 40, walk, and do circuit training with light weights (5-8 lbs) and my TDEE is 2200. I average 14k steps per day. I've steadily increased that step count over the last few years being on MFP and as such, my NEAT and TDEE are higher than they were before I lost weight. I'm now in maintenance at 118 and 5'2.

^^ agreed.
    I don't even do high steps any more but I can still maintain on 1950-2000 cals. I am pretty active though in general and have good muscle definition down to a little strength training and biking (and only 30 mins a day too of that). I'm in my late 40s/ 125-127lbs/ 5ft 2 1/4". So no, it doesn't take lifting heavy it just takes moving a bit more.
  • LAWoman72
    Options
    Thanks, everyone.

Scared to try this....I am not sure whether to trust the recommended calculators...will keep reading. Happy Thanksgiving.
  • charlenekapf
    charlenekapf Posts: 309 Member
    edited November 2017
    Options
    Thanks, everyone.

Scared to try this....I am not sure whether to trust the recommended calculators...will keep reading. Happy Thanksgiving.

Your weight will likely immediately go up as soon as you increase due to increased carbohydrates (glycogen storage) and sodium than it is used to. However, unless you're consuming 3500 excess calories than you're burning, it's just water. It will not hurt you to bump up your calories slowly. Health-calc.com's advanced energy expenditure calculator will give you a good rough estimate as to what you burn daily, then subtract 500. You can work up to that amount. Make sure you select the correct gender and use every swatch on it to account for sleep, sitting, etc. to ensure accuracy.
  • LAWoman72
    Options
    Whissy wrote: »
    What would anybody recommend for someone with history of ED and the notion of gain sends me into cold aweats?

A therapist.

I'm not being sarcastic. Please do it. Don't put it off.
  • LAWoman72
    Options
    Oh, I'm sorry. I forgot I was in a really long thread...I'm sure the above was answered.
  • amyf2000
    amyf2000 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'8" and 138ish and I probably average around 2100 calories a day. I work out around 7 hours a week, 2 lifting weights and figure skating most of the rest. I bike to work when the weather is above freezing. I'm 41. I could probably lose weight if I ate less but I can't stand being hungry so I opt for higher intensity exercise and more eating. It would be nice not to be in pain all the time but...peanut butter.
  • LAWoman72
    Options
    Bumping, anybody still around? :)
  • MossiO
    MossiO Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'8" at 190 and I have found that around 1800 is the minimum I can do without turning into Hangry Beast. My maintenance is around 2000, so I depend on getting some exercise most days in order to create enough of a deficit to lose reliably.
  • mbdean86
    mbdean86 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    At one point, my goal was dropping steadily until it hit 1100. The same month that happened, I started Nutrition class and then came here.

Was nervous because people here seemed to know so much more about nutrition and exercise than I did. Tried upping to 1400 and was still unsatisfied and very hungry. Now up to 1650.

Still can get hungry. I up my intake based on activity.

Still trying to figure out how to calculate my activity level for the calorie counting. I wanna try 1800 cals as my base, but I'm worried how it'll work.

I used to eat well over 3K per day.
  • LAWoman72
    Options
    I gained about three pounds and am praying it doesn't continue.

• mbdean86
    mbdean86 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    I gained about three pounds and am praying it doesn't continue.

What all have you been eating? No offense meant, just curious.