Here is what a competitive Bikini model winner looks like

Options

Replies

• MrsCon40
    MrsCon40 Posts: 2,351 Member
    Options
    I see a lot of opinion and speculation here about what it really takes. I would like to hear from successful bikini competitors and hear what they have to say. I think it'd be interesting to hear from the horse's mouth, so to speak.

I have a few friends here who I think could knock it out of the park because they have great definition and spend more time talking about why they train the way they do, encouraging others with sound advice free of bro/hoscience. (I won't embarrass them by outing them :wink:)

I have a feeling that they are on the right track and are better prepared than they think they are - but it'd be great to hear from successful and experienced ladies! :smile:
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,682 Member
    Options
    all i know is the chick in the original thread is simply gross looking
    Good thing we don't all have to agree with you.

A.C.E. Certified Personal Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • MUByM
    MUByM Posts: 208
    Options
    I personally don't want to look like that but I very much admire her determination and self discipline! I congratulate her on her win!

Also, what is wrong with people? If you don't want to look like someone then that's fine but you do not need to go and bash them when clearly they have worked their *kitten* off to get where they are. Whether it's going from being morbidly obese to being overweight or being healthy to being a competitive bikini model winner, each deserves a round of applause! They worked hard to get there and need no bashing.

Lastly, I want fake boobies, although mine seem to be growing as I lose weight. Or maybe I'm imagining? :laugh:
  • Matt_Wild
    Matt_Wild Posts: 2,673 Member
    Options
    I have no plans to get competitive, but I'm just wondering generally: Do all or most of the competitors have personal trainers? Or is there anyone who did it all on their own? I'm just wondering about the money factor -- like how much money one has to spend to look like that -- and how close can you get if you have a very low budget and very little time?

A friend of mine did competition a while back, and she had a trainer that she saw daily for 2 hours every day. Competing basically became a second job for her, except one where she had to fork over the cash instead of getting a salary ;-)

I've always trained hard and managed to get in with people with the know at the top level and got it done for free. And so this is why I pass my training knowledge on... since I prep people I know my knowledge works, including women. I've had my ladies compete in the NABBA UK and NABBA Worlds. I do ok.
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    I have no plans to get competitive, but I'm just wondering generally: Do all or most of the competitors have personal trainers? Or is there anyone who did it all on their own? I'm just wondering about the money factor -- like how much money one has to spend to look like that -- and how close can you get if you have a very low budget and very little time?

A friend of mine did competition a while back, and she had a trainer that she saw daily for 2 hours every day. Competing basically became a second job for her, except one where she had to fork over the cash instead of getting a salary ;-)

Very low budget? - possibly. It depends on what you include in that budget. My coach alone wasn't what I would consider expensive. I paid her a one time fee. But if you factor in supplements, some of which I am sure could be done without, food (although our food bills are lower since I started this), the suit ($$$), shoes, entrance fees, travel (for some), it is expensive. There are always ways to cut like borrowing a suit if you can or rent (although here, the suits I can rent are as expensive as some new ones I have seen).

Most I know at least have a coach, like I do. I send her progress pics, she sends me workouts and diets. She works at my gym so whenever I get a new program, we go over it to make sure I am doing it right, but I do all the workouts myself. I could pay extra for training sessions with her. She also does posing classes with a group, offers advice on everything and tons of support. I will say she was worth every penny. I am sure there are some who do it on their own, I just don't know any personally.

Little time - not possible. LIke your friend, this competition prep for me and the other girls I know is a second job. It isn't just the gym time, which is a considerable committment in itself especially the closer you get to contest, its getting enough sleep and the food. I am constantly cooking and eating (and cleaning for the next time I have to cook). I am very fortunate that I have a super supportive other half and he does a lot of it but we still spend a lot of time prepping food and cleaning up after it.
    i have even booked time off work in order to get to the gym (I work 12 hour shifts and on Saturday and Sunday the gym opens after I start and closes before I am done).
  • mousepaws22
    mousepaws22 Posts: 380 Member
    Options
    It's interesting to see what a bikini model looks like- is it attractive to me? No. Do I want to look like that? No. But I understand that's not what the poster was asking. I can appreciate her hard work and detirmination in getting that body, and wish I had that much dedication. The off season picures are more attractive to me, maybe because they are more "normal" to me (whatever normal means). There's no need for anybody to be rude when expressing their opinion about any of thse pictures though. It does upset me though when people call someone like Kelly Brook fat- she's a UK size 12 which is a US size 8- that is not big! People are making comments about what her body fat % is and how she's got fat hanging out of her bikini. Unless you have personally measured her body fat or been there whilst she's been having it done, you do not know what it is! I'm two dress sizes bigger than her so what am I super, super fat? I know this site is called my fitness pal, not my weight pal, but not everyone wants to lift heavy weights or get their body fat percentage really low. I do some weights, because I want to be fitter and stronger, but not what would be classed as heavy on here, and yes, I am lowering my body fat % but I'll just be happy for it to be in the healthy range. Can't people just let other people choose their own goals without criticising them for it? I'm sorry, but I think there's too many judgey people on here.
  • IpuffyheartHeelsinthegym
    Options
    my only beef with all of this is the damned implants. I'm really disappointed that the fitness community would be all praising what we can accomplish by the sweat of our own brow, except ladies have to get the boobs.

I think it's a fitness fail.

Not the girl- obviously she worked hard.

But the scene.

Maybe i'm wrong to think that when we are talking about body builders and fitness, we are talking about people who did it naturally? Or are we looking at people who took steroids, got lypo, implants, and that's how they got there?

I am pro lifting for women, btw. I'm actually REALLY into it.

I'm just totally disappointed that even in this world of praising health and the great accomplishments of mankind, we are still apparently requiring/expecting/or just plain normalizing the idea that for a strong fit woman to be sexy, she has to have fake boobs.

I'm with you. I'm not against fake boobs and what not, but for me personally, I'm keeping mine. This is a pic from my 1st ever competition, so please don't judge so harshly, but it is all natural me.

*image deleted*
    You already know I find you stunning Bry. So wish I could train you for your next comp!

IDEA Fitness member

*sigh* I wish you could be my trainer, too.... I am seriously considering going about it without this time, or at least not the same one... and, thank you for all of your kind words and support. You've been a great friend!
  • Matt_Wild
    Matt_Wild Posts: 2,673 Member
    Options

What would you think if someone said that about you? Would you find that acceptable? Probably not.
    Options

Well, here's a question... why would you click on the thread, then? I think the title was pretty clear. What if all the ladies said that about your picture? That hardworking lady is someone's mom, daughter, sister, cousin, friend... At least say "It's not my taste, but I respect what she did to get there."
  • ArroganceInStep
    ArroganceInStep Posts: 6,239 Member
    Options
    Curious about something, how much BF% is cut gearing up for a competition? I wonder this because I recall dropping between 10-15 kilos to get into the under 100 matches for Judo, and I'm wondering if the weight loss is similar (I know the methods of cutting are probably vastly different than what I did, which was just water weight).

Also

Really gave a lot to the conversation. The world is now a better place for the knowledge you've imparted upon us.
  • adrian_indy
    adrian_indy Posts: 1,444 Member
    Options
    I find it hilarious that on this site, everyone tip toes around calling anyone gross or disgusting when they are fat....but a fitness competitor can be called everything under the sun.
  • ahsats
    ahsats Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    I think it's quite a shame that women still associate strength and muscle definition with masculinity. Most of these women still have long, styled hair and makeup and manicures so the only thing that "looks like a man" is having pronounced muscle definition? It's really unfortunate that so many women never live to see their full potential and strength for fear of not being "soft enough" to cuddle with.

I'd also like to say that I've lived a much happier life since I stopped judging other people's bodies. I might admire a particular figure but I can't remember the last time someone's body has evoked a negative reaction in me. People have different bodies and different goals and calling someone "manly" or "gross" says a lot more about the person saying it.
  • MotorCityFemmeFatale
    Options
    I have 9 comps under my belt and I think this is the first time, I'll be going in to comp without a coach. My guy is retired and with my dietary restrictions (allergies and intolerances), I'm not sure another would touch me with a ten foot pole, haha

But in general most have one.
    Options
    Curious about something, how much BF% is cut gearing up for a competition? I wonder this because I recall dropping between 10-15 kilos to get into the under 100 matches for Judo, and I'm wondering if the weight loss is similar (I know the methods of cutting are probably vastly different than what I did, which was just water weight).

Also

Really gave a lot to the conversation. The world is now a better place for the knowledge you've imparted upon us.

I think it depends on if they are competing bikini or figure. I do bikini and am shooting for 13 -14%. I've seen others who get down to as little as 8 - 9%, but bikini in general is not as low in BF as figure.
    Options
    I find it hilarious that on this site, everyone tip toes around calling anyone gross or disgusting when they are fat....but a fitness competitor can be called everything under the sun.

right? Because hard work, discipline, dedication, motivation, blood, sweat and tears is just SO gross. Come ON, people. It is a beautiful, respectful thing.
  • ArroganceInStep
    ArroganceInStep Posts: 6,239 Member
    Options
    I think it depends on if they are competing bikini or figure. I do bikini and am shooting for 13 -14%. I've seen others who get down to as little as 8 - 9%, but bikini in general is not as low in BF as figure.

Just can't imagine...I think the lowest I was when I was competing was still over 20%, More power to you.
  • mandylooo
    mandylooo Posts: 456 Member
    Options
    my only beef with all of this is the damned implants. I'm really disappointed that the fitness community would be all praising what we can accomplish by the sweat of our own brow, except ladies have to get the boobs.

I think it's a fitness fail.

Not the girl- obviously she worked hard.

But the scene.

Maybe i'm wrong to think that when we are talking about body builders and fitness, we are talking about people who did it naturally? Or are we looking at people who took steroids, got lypo, implants, and that's how they got there?

I am pro lifting for women, btw. I'm actually REALLY into it.

I'm just totally disappointed that even in this world of praising health and the great accomplishments of mankind, we are still apparently requiring/expecting/or just plain normalizing the idea that for a strong fit woman to be sexy, she has to have fake boobs.

That would've been my two pennies worth as well. The stuck on globes look gross* and present a poor role model for women to aspire to. I agree that feeling the need to have implants is another expression of tyranny over women's bodies and we ought to stop reinforcing it. The plastic surgeons are the only real beneficiaries from the insecurities created about our bodies.

*the women may be better looking than me in general, but they have spent thousands doing this to themselves.
    Options

Just can't imagine...I think the lowest I was when I was competing was still over 20%, More power to you.

fingers crossed! I'm sitting at 19% now and have 6+ months to get to 14%....
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,682 Member
    Options

*sigh* I wish you could be my trainer, too.... I am seriously considering going about it without this time, or at least not the same one... and, thank you for all of your kind words and support. You've been a great friend!
    You know I got your back, so if you need anything just let me know!

IDEA Fitness member
  • shamr0ck
    shamr0ck Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    Oh, and FWIW, she was tiny and totally flat chested and won a couple of competitions. I'm also flat-chested, and interested in being ripped, but I intentionally avoid most pec exercises because, well, I don't need them any flatter than they already are ;-)

Pec exercises increase pec cleavage. That's the only cleavage I've got! Sternum is sexy. :wink:

Yes, this. I'm pretty sad in the chest area after nursing 7 kids, but heavy chest exercises have made things much nicer in that area. :D