Here is what a competitive Bikini model winner looks like

Options

Replies

• ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,682 Member
    Options
    I have 9 comps under my belt and I think this is the first time, I'll be going in to comp without a coach. My guy is retired and with my dietary restrictions (allergies and intolerances), I'm not sure another would touch me with a ten foot pole, haha

But in general most have one.
    Well you pretty much know at this point what your diet probably should consist of which is the majority of the battle. Just make sure you get good objective feedback from someone you trust (and knows about comps) to ensure that you're looking the way you should for the comp.

A.C.E. Certified Personal Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    I think it depends on if they are competing bikini or figure. I do bikini and am shooting for 13 -14%. I've seen others who get down to as little as 8 - 9%, but bikini in general is not as low in BF as figure.

Just can't imagine...I think the lowest I was when I was competing was still over 20%, More power to you.
    I've competed at 9% back in the day, and I'll tell ya, it's tough mostly for the first 3 weeks. Then you get used to the bland boring food and concentrate more on the workouts and posing routines (although posing routines aren't required by Bikini comps). By comp day, you're feeling pretty good, but at 9% I was really hard and the definition was very apparent.
    Then the best part came......................right after the comp I ate pizza.

IDEA Fitness member
  • MotorCityFemmeFatale
    Options

Then the best part came......................right after the comp I ate pizza.

IDEA Fitness member

Ah yes, the post comp meal. :smile:
  • MotorCityFemmeFatale
    Options
    Well you pretty much know at this point what your diet probably should consist of which is the majority of the battle. Just make sure you get good objective feedback from someone you trust (and knows about comps) to ensure that you're looking the way you should for the comp.

IDEA Fitness member

Yes, agreed. Good feedback coming in will be great from someone who has been successful (training competitors, or is/has competed).
  • tquig
    tquig Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    Came for the pic, stayed for the drama. LMAO

Uber-fit people have feelings too and no one likes to be called gross. Tremendous amount of hard work went into getting in that shape. Might not be everyone's idea of the 'perfect' figure but you have to admire someone that set and acheived their personal goals.

Oh, and my fav has always been Jamie Eason- met her last year finally at the Arnold Classic- not only smoking hot (my opinion) but seemed to be a genuinely nice and sincere woman (and did I mention she is smoking hot?)
  • IpuffyheartHeelsinthegym
    Options

Uber-fit people have feelings too and no one likes to be called gross. Tremendous amount of hard work went into getting in that shape. Might not be everyone's idea of the 'perfect' figure but you have to admire someone that set and acheived their personal goals.

Oh, and my fav has always been Jamie Eason- met her last year finally at the Arnold Classic- not only smoking hot (my opinion) but seemed to be a genuinely nice and sincere woman (and did I mention she is smoking hot?)

hahaha! :heart: it! I stayed, because I have competed and will compete again. I'm not that girl or the others posted, but dangit, I KNOW how hard I worked and know they had to have worked harder and longer, so to me, their responses were repulsive.

I don't EVER go around saying when bigger people they shovel food in their face I want to barf... because that is RUDE, but along the same lines as cracking down on a bikini model.

Oh, and I'm a huge fan of Jamie's, too - she IS smoking hot!
  • BAMFMeredith
    BAMFMeredith Posts: 2,829 Member
    Options
    I am within the normal weight for my height and build, and I cannot imagine looking like that.

I don't think that being in bikini model shape is a realistic goal for most people -- especially those of us who are middle age and tend to hold onto belly fat, even when we are thin everywhere else. Instead of comparing how we look to photos of bikini models, I think it's much better to focus on being in the best shape we can be in for the gene set we inherited.

but, the OP didn't say anyone HAD to be a bikini model. He just posted a picture of a winning bikini model. And, for the record, I'm 34 and compete. Heck, I wasn't even near the oldest. I was in between. The oldest was closer to my moms age.

I've seen many women in their 40s compete, and they look AMAZING! There is a woman at my gym, probably in her early 50s who has a body to die for. She is always there the same time I am, after work, and she has her lifting gloves on and lifts HEAVY. She makes the 20 something year old boys look like wimps. Everyone is always asking her for tips and stuff, I don't know if she competes, but homegirl should because her body is incredible.

I'm shooting for 18% body fat at this point. I'm at 33% so I've got a ways to go, but I've been lifting heavier, and staggering my cardio (and being really particular about my diet) so I've got hopes of getting there. I've already noticed a difference in my arms and booty! I have nothing but respect and admiration for the hard work these women put into their bodies.
  • tquig
    tquig Posts: 176 Member
    Options

hahaha! :heart: it! I stayed, because I have competed and will compete again. I'm not that girl or the others posted, but dangit, I KNOW how hard I worked and know they had to have worked harder and longer, so to me, their responses were repulsive.

I don't EVER go around saying when bigger people they shovel food in their face I want to barf... because that is RUDE, but along the same lines as cracking down on a bikini model.

Oh, and I'm a huge fan of Jamie's, too - she IS smoking hot!

When I was younger I was more into body building but now have goals of less mass- funny thing is the amount of effort required to get to these goals, even though they are different is still pretty much the same.

I have never competed nor have I ever had the desire yet I "get" why it is some people's goals. I had a great time being surrounded by the atheletes at the Classic, although I was significantly smaller than most of them. Didn't mean I felt insecure with my fitness level or size because I was working to MY goals. They could have made comments about my lack of size but no one did because we were all striving for better fitness, whether that took the form of body building, "strongest man", etc. They showed me as much respect for my goals as I did for theirs- judgement free. Some folks on this site could learn some things about being more sensitive with their choice of words. Oh, and did I mention Jamie is smoking hot? :love:
  • barefoot76
    barefoot76 Posts: 314 Member
    Options
    I have no plans to get competitive, but I'm just wondering generally: Do all or most of the competitors have personal trainers? Or is there anyone who did it all on their own? I'm just wondering about the money factor -- like how much money one has to spend to look like that -- and how close can you get if you have a very low budget and very little time?

A friend of mine did competition a while back, and she had a trainer that she saw daily for 2 hours every day. Competing basically became a second job for her, except one where she had to fork over the cash instead of getting a salary ;-)

Very low budget? - possibly. It depends on what you include in that budget. My coach alone wasn't what I would consider expensive. I paid her a one time fee. But if you factor in supplements, some of which I am sure could be done without, food (although our food bills are lower since I started this), the suit ($$$), shoes, entrance fees, travel (for some), it is expensive. There are always ways to cut like borrowing a suit if you can or rent (although here, the suits I can rent are as expensive as some new ones I have seen).

Most I know at least have a coach, like I do. I send her progress pics, she sends me workouts and diets. She works at my gym so whenever I get a new program, we go over it to make sure I am doing it right, but I do all the workouts myself. I could pay extra for training sessions with her. She also does posing classes with a group, offers advice on everything and tons of support. I will say she was worth every penny. I am sure there are some who do it on their own, I just don't know any personally.

Little time - not possible. LIke your friend, this competition prep for me and the other girls I know is a second job. It isn't just the gym time, which is a considerable committment in itself especially the closer you get to contest, its getting enough sleep and the food. I am constantly cooking and eating (and cleaning for the next time I have to cook). I am very fortunate that I have a super supportive other half and he does a lot of it but we still spend a lot of time prepping food and cleaning up after it.
    i have even booked time off work in order to get to the gym (I work 12 hour shifts and on Saturday and Sunday the gym opens after I start and closes before I am done).

Thank you for the detailed information!!! I hadn't even thought about the supplements. I bet those really add up. We drink a lot of protein shakes around here, and those things are d*mn expensive. And the travel... And the suits! I wouldn't have even thought about that!

I think this means I will be putting off any idea of competing until my pocketbook is full and my nest is empty, LOL! But I sure do have mad respect for y'all.
    Options
    I have no plans to get competitive, but I'm just wondering generally: Do all or most of the competitors have personal trainers? Or is there anyone who did it all on their own? I'm just wondering about the money factor -- like how much money one has to spend to look like that -- and how close can you get if you have a very low budget and very little time?

A friend of mine did competition a while back, and she had a trainer that she saw daily for 2 hours every day. Competing basically became a second job for her, except one where she had to fork over the cash instead of getting a salary ;-)

Very low budget? - possibly. It depends on what you include in that budget. My coach alone wasn't what I would consider expensive. I paid her a one time fee. But if you factor in supplements, some of which I am sure could be done without, food (although our food bills are lower since I started this), the suit ($$$), shoes, entrance fees, travel (for some), it is expensive. There are always ways to cut like borrowing a suit if you can or rent (although here, the suits I can rent are as expensive as some new ones I have seen).

Most I know at least have a coach, like I do. I send her progress pics, she sends me workouts and diets. She works at my gym so whenever I get a new program, we go over it to make sure I am doing it right, but I do all the workouts myself. I could pay extra for training sessions with her. She also does posing classes with a group, offers advice on everything and tons of support. I will say she was worth every penny. I am sure there are some who do it on their own, I just don't know any personally.

Little time - not possible. LIke your friend, this competition prep for me and the other girls I know is a second job. It isn't just the gym time, which is a considerable committment in itself especially the closer you get to contest, its getting enough sleep and the food. I am constantly cooking and eating (and cleaning for the next time I have to cook). I am very fortunate that I have a super supportive other half and he does a lot of it but we still spend a lot of time prepping food and cleaning up after it.
    i have even booked time off work in order to get to the gym (I work 12 hour shifts and on Saturday and Sunday the gym opens after I start and closes before I am done).

Thank you for the detailed information!!! I hadn't even thought about the supplements. I bet those really add up. We drink a lot of protein shakes around here, and those things are d*mn expensive. And the travel... And the suits! I wouldn't have even thought about that!

I think this means I will be putting off any idea of competing until my pocketbook is full and my nest is empty, LOL! But I sure do have mad respect for y'all.

Here's a VALUABLE hint that I found helpful, sponsors are AHHHMAZING, if you can find one (some).
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    I used to spend lots of money on supplements, but with time I've found (through research) that most of them only help minorly with your prep. While a good thermogenic is fine, most of the other supplements (with the exception of protein and creatine) don't offer benefit when compared to cost.

IDEA Fitness member
  • ArroganceInStep
    ArroganceInStep Posts: 6,239 Member
    Options
    I used to spend lots of money on supplements, but with time I've found (through research) that most of them only help minorly with your prep. While a good thermogenic is fine, most of the other supplements (with the exception of protein and creatine) don't offer benefit when compared to cost.

http://gawker.com/no-xplode/

=)
    IpuffyheartHeelsinthegym Posts: 5,573 Member
    Options

IDEA Fitness member

I get mine for free these days, including my protein shakes. Gotta love being a supplement ambassador. :bigsmile:
  • ninerbuff
    Options

IDEA Fitness member

I get mine for free these days, including my protein shakes. Gotta love being a supplement ambassador. :bigsmile:
    If they're free that's cool. I used to spend $200 dollars a month on supplements back in the day. Probably why I stayed home alot.........................

IDEA Fitness member

[/quote]
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options

IDEA Fitness member

If they're free that's cool. I used to spend $200 dollars a month on supplements back in the day. Probably why I stayed home alot.........................

IDEA Fitness member
    [/quote]

I stay home a lot because I am tired of people trying to push food and booze on me. :happy:

I am not spending that much on supplements and the ones I do are pretty much what you listed and a few vitamins.
    I would love to find a sponsor, maybe after this show. My coach is sponsored. Pre-contest prep I wasn't exactly in a place where someone would look at me and want to sponsor me

As for my comment about posing, I am doing figure, but I know the girls in my group doing bikini are working just as hard as I am so I figured it was ok to comment on the topic.
  • mousepaws22
    mousepaws22 Posts: 380 Member
    Options
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2110301/Female-bodybuilders-captured-photographer-Martin-Schoeller-results-years-sculpting-perfect-physique.html

Every day there are idiots online who I want to direct to this site, some of these comments are ridiculous.
    IpuffyheartHeelsinthegym Posts: 5,573 Member
    Options

IDEA Fitness member

IDEA Fitness member
    [/quote]

They are free, because I am a 1st Step Supplement Ambassador.

3dogsrunning - I placed 13th out of 21 for my first show this past November, but was approached by someone prior to the show about sponsorship and this year, my husband was proudly showing off his pictures he took from the show to some drinking buddies and one said he thought he would like to sponsor this year. Always nice when offered, for sure.
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    They are free, because I am a 1st Step Supplement Ambassador.

3dogsrunning - I placed 13th out of 21 for my first show this past November, but was approached by someone prior to the show about sponsorship and this year, my husband was proudly showing off his pictures he took from the show to some drinking buddies and one said he thought he would like to sponsor this year. Always nice when offered, for sure.
    If I could I sponsor you with FREE training.

IDEA Fitness member
  • myofibril
    myofibril Posts: 4,500 Member
    Options
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2110301/Female-bodybuilders-captured-photographer-Martin-Schoeller-results-years-sculpting-perfect-physique.html

Every day there are idiots online who I want to direct to this site, some of these comments are ridiculous.

The comments are not really surprising though.

The body building / fitness competitor physique is a niche rather than mainstream one (although it is slowly beginning to filter more into the mainstream). I think if you showed your average guy or gal on the street a pic of male bodybuilder with high degree of vascularity or a female fitness competitor with prominent musculature the average response will probably be negative.

People will get more appreciation on a site like this which is focused towards health and fitness and where there is a greater degree of understanding on the sheer effort it take to reach that kind of physique.

However, as these types of sites get more popular they will inevitably start to reflect more the views of the general population. I see so many more calls of "there are more haters now than before" or "why aren't their more supportive people on here" these days but in reality I think they are just members of the general public expressing common views.
  • mousepaws22
    mousepaws22 Posts: 380 Member
    Options
    This comment is my favourite:
    "I train daily and often see some girls come in and start pumping too much iron. Luckily the owner of my gym is an ex body builder and tells the girls to keep to toning, drop the weight and do more cardio work to keep fit. He will not give help to women who want to bulk up as even he finds it offputting."