The Hunger Games

Options

Replies

• samantha1953
    samantha1953 Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    Perhaps I am a prude... But I can't not imagine how this movie (book) is so popular when it's based on kids killing kids. It makes me sick every time I see the preview. My best friend insists it's AMAZING and I need to see it with her when it comes out... but no way. Unless all the kid's revolt against the Capitol or something and they all live happily ever after, I'm OK without seeing it :ohwell:

Am I the only one that finds it all so odd? Then again, I threw up after Lord of the Rings *LOL* So... there's your perspective :)

What about Lord of the Flies? Excellent literature. Maybe not for really young readers but I think I read it in late Junior High.
  • hollyberry2012
    Options
    You youngsters may never have heard of this short story, but from the way you are enjoying The Hunger Games, I thought you might like to read this:

http://www.classicshorts.com/stories/lotry.html
  • odusgolp
    odusgolp Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    Perhaps I am a prude... But I can't not imagine how this movie (book) is so popular when it's based on kids killing kids. It makes me sick every time I see the preview. My best friend insists it's AMAZING and I need to see it with her when it comes out... but no way. Unless all the kid's revolt against the Capitol or something and they all live happily ever after, I'm OK without seeing it :ohwell:

Am I the only one that finds it all so odd? Then again, I threw up after Lord of the Rings *LOL* So... there's your perspective :)

What about Lord of the Flies? Excellent literature. Maybe not for really young readers but I think I read it in late Junior High.

Seriously, have never read it! Don't even know the concept. Apparently not required reading in my school district :)
  • odusgolp
    odusgolp Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    You youngsters may never have heard of this short story, but from the way you are enjoying The Hunger Games, I thought you might like to read this:

I will NEVER forget that story... it made a huge impact and scared the crap out of my wee little self as a kid.
  • rm830
    rm830 Posts: 531 Member
    Options
    Just ordered the trilogy....although Barnes and Noble takes FOREVER to ship them. I've heard good things and I love to read so I'll give them a chance. I'll prob like them...which is why I ordered the set..I'd hate to love it and then have to wait to get the next book and so on.
  • jadedone
    jadedone Posts: 2,449 Member
    Options

Wow, never read that story!
  • hollyberry2012
    Options
    lol...it scared me too as a child...shocked the crap outta me!
  • dawlschic007
    dawlschic007 Posts: 636 Member
    Options
    The Lottery short story was required reading for me in high school. It does have a lot of similarities to the Hunger Games.
  • 2fit4fat
    2fit4fat Posts: 559 Member
    Options
    The Lottery short story was required reading for me in high school. It does have a lot of similarities to the Hunger Games.

can someone exlpain the lottery one to me.. my eyes dont read very well on the computer with such small and bold print. it messes with me lol ill print it when i get home but im very curious now
  • briggsy13
    briggsy13 Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    I had to post cause I read the Hunger Games trilogy in a few days time. Started and couldn't stop. I'm gonna see the movie but know I will be let down cause the movie is never as good as the book.
    I also refused to read or see any of the Twilight movies or books until just a couple weeks ago. I just laughed at the whole craziness that girls and grown women were doing. I finally broke down and read all 4 books after all the ladies in my book club said they were good. I totally got into them and had to finish the series. I plan to borrow the movies from a friend to see them but again am not hopeful that the movie will do the books any justice.

As for teenagers reading THe Hunger Games I would have no problem with it. The movie may be gory although I hope not, but I didn't ever think the books were disturbingly violent? And I am not one of those people who watch anything bloody or scary in the least bit. I actually lent the first book to my stepdaughter but she couldn't get into it and quit reading.
  • Ambamm77
    Options
    Yes it is very much like the Lottery Story (kinda). I loved the trilogy and can NOT wait for the movies. I hope they do the book justice. I know it sounds awful but it's actually a very good read. I couldn't put them down.
  • hollyberry2012
    Options
    2fit4fat, you will just have to wait. :) It's worth it.
  • briggsy13
    briggsy13 Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    I unexpectedly really liked the books. It was really though provoking I thought, and I think it is great for kids to read. It is a great way to really think about how society works, inequality and cooperation. I am really excited about the movie, and I initially wrote it off as a teeny bopper book. 800000X better than Twilight in terms of sending a message to girls about gender roles.

Totally agree with this!! Twilight leaves girls and even women with the wrong idea about men and what they should expect. Bella wasn't totally weak, but the love thing was a bit much. I mean I am married to a very loving and thoughtful man, but if girls think that there are many "Edwards" out there they are not living in reality. Not that they don't exist, but I'd say very few and far between!!!
  • 2fit4fat
    2fit4fat Posts: 559 Member
    Options
    2fit4fat, you will just have to wait. :) It's worth it.

lol im reading it slowly a paragraph at a time then resting my stinkin eyes
  • jenny95662
    jenny95662 Posts: 997 Member
    Options

oh i remember that story it was crazy actually saw a movie recently that kinda was like it. crazy ****
  • beckym71
    beckym71 Posts: 3,511
    Options
    Resisted reading for a while...didn't want to get caught up in the *hype*
    OMG!!! WHY did I wait!?!?!?!
    Devoured Book 1, went out and bought Catching Fire and MockingJay cover to cover, back to back in one day!
    So much more than kids killing kids.
    It's on my daughter's reading list @ USC for this semester's Lit class
  • hollyberry2012
    Options
    why you impatient lil imp! lol...couldn't wait till you got home from work!!!

~grinz~
  • michellecorvin
    michellecorvin Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I have read all the books and it is good. I am looking forward to the movie.
  • wwk10
    wwk10 Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    I enjoyed the books, but if it were in my child's AP English class I would have a talk with the principal.
    I dont mind 9th graders reading about violence, but I dont think the Hunger Games is AP material.
  • dollymixsix
    Options
    Great books, I read them when they first came out. Trying to do a re-read before the movie comes out.

I'd let my kids read it, if I had any.