The Hunger Games

Options

Replies

• HotBodUnderConstruction
    Options
    Perhaps I am a prude... But I can't not imagine how this movie (book) is so popular when it's based on kids killing kids. It makes me sick every time I see the preview. My best friend insists it's AMAZING and I need to see it with her when it comes out... but no way. Unless all the kid's revolt against the Capitol or something and they all live happily ever after, I'm OK without seeing it :ohwell:

Am I the only one that finds it all so odd? Then again, I threw up after Lord of the Rings *LOL* So... there's your perspective :)

I'm guessing you didn't like Lord of the Flies? :p
  • ELee0517
    ELee0517 Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    I don't think the books were "OMG AMAZING" but they were easy to read & had a good story. And I think people over look the teens-killing-teens thing because it's about more than that, that's just a little part of the whole. But I am definately going to see the movie, but not til next week and during the day so I can avoid all the teeny-boppers lol.
  • igora_soma
    igora_soma Posts: 486
    Options
    I don't know if kids should be reading this, but I must say that I LOVED the books, they definitely teach integrity. You really have to read them to understand how awesome they are!
  • summertime_girl
    summertime_girl Posts: 3,945 Member
    Options
    i've read the books, and I enjoyed them. And they aren't typical of the genres I like. I also saw the movie at midnight, and it was pretty violent and gory. A few friends have kids in 6th grade, and they are going as a class field trip. While I'm pretty laid back, and don't do much censoring on what my kids see, I'd have issue with this movie, in a school setting, in 6th grade.
  • jenbusick
    jenbusick Posts: 528 Member
    Options
    I've read the trilogy, and my 11-yo daughter has also read it (and is a HUGE fan).

Is it violent? Yes.

Is it brutal? Yes

Does it involve kids in brutal and violent situations? Yes.

But. It is not pointless violence. My daughter and I had a wonderful discussion when she had finished reading the books of the THEME, which is, "What will Katniss choose? Will she choose violence, or will she (in the end) choose peace? And will there come a point where she loses the option to choose, because she waited too long?" Those two choices are represented symbolically in the books (I'm not going to tell you what they're represented *by*, because that would be a spoiler, and anyway, it ought to be obvious when you've read them).

This is a morally and thematically sound and solid series. I would not hesitate to recommend them, even to children (I'm pretty careful about what my 11-you reads).

We're going to try to see the movie tonight :-)
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    i've read the books, and I enjoyed them. And they aren't typical of the genres I like. I also saw the movie at midnight, and it was pretty violent and gory. A few friends have kids in 6th grade, and they are going as a class field trip. While I'm pretty laid back, and don't do much censoring on what my kids see, I'd have issue with this movie, in a school setting, in 6th grade.

Ugh. Then I am definitely NOT going! You cinched it for me.

There are even some parts of Star Wars where I need to turn away from the screen.
  • girl_afraid82
    girl_afraid82 Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    I've heard it compared to a japanese cult classic Battle Royale. Is this true?

I have not read that, but from what I've read online and what others have said, the only difference is Hunger Games is teenagers and BR was adults.

No, Battle Royale is kids too... but the premise is slightly different. It was a Japanese novel and manga first before the film. Great movie, but way more violent than Hunger Games so I wouldn't recommend if anyone is already worried about that side of things.
  • 12skipafew99100
    12skipafew99100 Posts: 1,669 Member
    Options
    bump for later reading
  • girl_afraid82
    girl_afraid82 Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    This is the part that has me smh. I read the books, I enjoyed reading them. BEST BOOK EVER? No. I've loved other books more. I liked these, and read them quickly, because I liked the writer's style of cutting to the chase. The story was engrossing, and I was interested in/cared about most of the characters. (Kinda got PO'd at Katniss during book 3, but that's beside my point)

But I just do NOT understand how they were able to turn this into a PG-13 movie. There are so many scenes that were WAY too intense for PG-13. I'll try to leave out any spoilers, but the very last part of the battle that occurs right in front of the President's mansion (hint: parachutes), HOW are we going to show that in a movie????? Cannot fathom it. :noway:

That's scene happened in the last book.

There's going to be four films apparently though, so this will come up. I reckon (trying to hard not to give anything away here but don't read on if you haven't read!) they'll maybe play on the fact that certain things are kept from us at this point, as readers. There's things we don't see and only hear about afterwards, as Katniss does... maybe they'll just extend the period of time which we don't see, so visually it won't be as shocking. I could imagine there being a blackout at that moment.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    I've heard it compared to a japanese cult classic Battle Royale. Is this true?

I have not read that, but from what I've read online and what others have said, the only difference is Hunger Games is teenagers and BR was adults.

No, Battle Royale is kids too... but the premise is slightly different. It was a Japanese novel and manga first before the film. Great movie, but way more violent than Hunger Games so I wouldn't recommend if anyone is already worried about that side of things.

OK. Thanks. I don't know why I was thinking it was adults. I swear I read that somewhere! lol Either way, I'm not interested in any of it.

I don't know how it's possible, but Hunger Games (as far as I read) managed to horrify and bore me all at the same time.
  • ghost6775
    ghost6775 Posts: 14
    Options
    I saw the movie last night at the midnight showing. However as always the movies never do the books justice. Don't get me wrong the movie was tastefully done but since it received a PG-13 rating there was alot of cut out is the film versus book. Things were done wrong in several scenes but it was overall a good movie. For those Hunger Games fans that are fans of the books warning you may/may not like the movie. I am interested to see how the finish out the trilogy though.
  • PlanetVelma
    PlanetVelma Posts: 1,231 Member
    Options
    Considering part of my son's required reading for his AP Eng. classes for the last couple years included, Kite Runner, One Flew over the Cuckoo's Nest, the Heretic's Daughter, The Hobbitt, Lord of the flies, etc.....

I've encouraged him to read to the Hunger Games before we see the movie. I also recommended that he read "Johnny Got his Gun".

Heck he read IT by Stephen King when he was in middle school. He LOVED it and that book was pretty gnarly.

But we are a family of nerds, we have been known to read the entire Harry Potter series, watch the movies and than discuss what we wish they didn't leave out/change/etc...
  • adamb83
    adamb83 Posts: 719 Member
    Options
    My question is how do you judge something you haven't actually read?

:huh:

^^^ This.

I can't imagine a lot of things and I can't know for sure whether or not I'll like/appreciate/enjoy things, until I experience them.

The books were good (not the BEST!EVER! in my opinion, but good). The movie is getting great ratings.

The story has a point. *shrug*
  • christine24t
    christine24t Posts: 6,063 Member
    Options
    The books are awesome and the movie was great! I'm still obsessing over the movie!
  • woou
    woou Posts: 668 Member
    Options
    I saw the movie last night at the midnight showing. However as always the movies never do the books justice. Don't get me wrong the movie was tastefully done but since it received a PG-13 rating there was alot of cut out is the film versus book. Things were done wrong in several scenes but it was overall a good movie. For those Hunger Games fans that are fans of the books warning you may/may not like the movie. I am interested to see how the finish out the trilogy though.

I feel the same about the movie. When Clove was on top of Katniss, I was just thinking, "she was more threatening in the book." In the book, I pretty much felt the chills and scared for Katniss at that moment. In the movie, not so much. Isabelle Fuhrman is a phenomenal actress, too. Too bad the dialogue was toned down.
  • engineman312
    engineman312 Posts: 3,450 Member
    Options
    internet-memes-oh-theres-a-movie.jpg
  • elenathegreat
    elenathegreat Posts: 3,988 Member
    Options
    I totally have this book on hold at the library. Almost finished with Pillars of the Earth which I totally enjoy. I might switch to World Without End though so I don't completely forget the plot of the PotE book. Loving it so far!

Yes! loved those books...wasn't there a movie?
  • elcieloesazul
    elcieloesazul Posts: 448 Member
    Options
    Hunger Games? Why are people getting so excited about eating disorders?

EDIT: :tongue:
  • Bmontgomery613
    Bmontgomery613 Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    My question is how do you judge something you haven't actually read?

:huh:

^^^This, totally. If you want to understand something, it's best to learn something about it. Want to know what all the hype is about the books where 'kids kill kids'? Read it and educate yourself.
  • Erica_theRedhead
    Erica_theRedhead Posts: 724 Member
    Options
    Not everything is for everyone. It's not just about kids killing each other. It takes a look into the cruelty of humanity, as well as the endless cycle of history: war/rebellion, leaders rising to power, oppression of low class citizens: repeat. I personally, loved the psychological aspect of living through someone who justs wants to survive.